Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

I have the same issue - no flight case. How are we supposed to make sure this doesn’t get damaged on its way back to The Netherlands?

When I sent mine back, I built a wooden crate, padded it with foam and placed the Extreme's cardboard box inside.

Given the state it was in when I received it, I anticipated any possible mishandling.

Freight companies are no longer what they used to be.:(

image_67237633.JPG
IMG-5983.jpg
IMG-5984.jpg

I have the same issue - no flight case. How are we supposed to make sure this doesn’t get damaged on its way back to The Netherlands?
Two questions -- do you still have the packaging Taiko used to send you the Extreme? Was your Extreme damaged on arrival to you?

Not trying to be a smart ass. My Extreme was shipped in a very sturdy double box with non-compressible form-fitting foam. My intent is to ship it back exactly the same way.

Steve Z

Two questions -- do you still have the packaging Taiko used to send you the Extreme? Was your Extreme damaged on arrival to you?

Not trying to be a smart ass. My Extreme was shipped in a very sturdy double box with non-compressible form-fitting foam. My intent is to ship it back exactly the same way.

Steve Z

I still have the cardboard box that the Extreme came it but it was partially damaged when I received it. I was pleasantly surprised that the contents were not damaged. I don’t feel comfortable shipping it back in that box with no other packaging. I assume they went with a flight case since the some shipments in the cardboard box were getting damaged.

Reactions: wil
Even with the original double cardboard box along with 1/4" plywood bottom and top this is a problem...

Last edited:
I still have the sturdy double cardboard box that mine was shipped in. I asked Emile several weeks ago if that is still OK to ship the Extreme back and I was reassured that it was OK but I reached out for the same reason that everyone is asking.

I just went up to my shop and looked at the box. Mine came with 1/2" Ply for the bottom and top of the unit. I've had several issues with DHL...

I still have the pre flight case ……double thick cardboard box. Scares me to pack it up and send back
I’d advise using something more robust like a wood crate, as Swiss Tom showed, or make some serious efforts to reinforce the existing boxes. Sheet aluminum lining the insides of the boxes works well. Wayward forklift tongs will go right through those double cardboard boxes…

Mine came via FedEx and the outer box was wet and falling apart. Luckily the inner box was good.
I have no way to return it without replacement from Taiko.

Also I hope Taiko plans to use their preferred shipping method/rates and issue call tags for the returns to them.

Reactions: fizzletop
Ed and the Taiko team did it again.

The latest version of the XDMS software sounds incredible, another uptick in sound quality that has my jaw dropping. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. Huge thank you to Taiko and Ed for persevering on XDMS development (and specifically to Ed for sorting my system out from a caravan early in his morning on the west coast of France, no doubt on vacation/trying to be?!) and I absolutely cannot wait for XDMS to be released for the Olympus. Can Roon and Olympus really exceed XDMS NSM on the Extreme? my goodness

Ed and the Taiko team did it again.

The latest version of the XDMS software sounds incredible, another uptick in sound quality that has my jaw dropping. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. Huge thank you to Taiko and Ed for persevering on XDMS development (and specifically to Ed for sorting my system out from a caravan early in his morning on the west coast of France, no doubt on vacation/trying to be?!) and I absolutely cannot wait for XDMS to be released for the Olympus. Can Roon and Olympus really exceed XDMS NSM on the Extreme? my goodness
I lived with Roon/Olympus for 5 days at Munich. XDMS/Extreme as good as it is is not even close to Olympus/Roon. It's a paradigm shift and an entirely new listening adventure.

Edit- The difference between the Extreme/XDMS and the Olympus/Roon were NOT as apparent to me when there were 30 people in the room as I was always on a side wall either disc-jockeying or talking to customers. It was before we started in the mornings that I got to listen for an hour or so each day in a quiet room.

I could tell there was a MAJOR difference in the first minute when I heard the Olympus a day prior to the show opening. The soundstage was so big and so dimensional with uncanny layering on the soundstage that it was immediately recognizable.

Last edited:
I lived with Roon/Olympus for 5 days at Munich. XDMS/Extreme as good as it is is not even close to Olympus/Roon. It's a paradigm shift and an entirely new listening adventure.

Edit- The difference between the Extreme/XDMS and the Olympus/Roon were NOT as apparent to me when there were 30 people in the room as I was always on a side wall either disc-jockeying or talking to customers. It was before we started in the mornings that I got to listen for an hour or so each day in a quiet room.

I could tell there was a MAJOR difference in the first minute when I heard the Olympus a day prior to the show opening. The soundstage was so big and so dimensional with uncanny layering on the soundstage that it was immediately recognizable.
I keep checking that link daily for shipping announcements. You're one lucky dude Bob

I keep checking that link daily for shipping announcements. You're one lucky dude Bob
Yes, I feel extremely lucky but there were hundreds of people that got to hear it at Munich. I just got to hear it in the quiet room. Although the rooms at Munich are very challenging to make really good sound.

Yes, I feel extremely lucky but there were hundreds of people that got to hear it at Munich. I just got to hear it in the quiet room. Although the rooms at Munich are very challenging to make really good sound.
the fact that you used and in caps the word MAJOR speaks volumes in and of itself notwithstanding the room constraints, people noise etc. There was never a doubt in my mind that the rooms showing XDMI would be flooded with listeners

the fact that you used and in caps the word MAJOR speaks volumes in and of itself notwithstanding the room constraints, people noise etc. There was never a doubt in my mind that the rooms showing XDMI would be flooded with listeners
Oh it's definitely a different listening experience as Emile and Co. has stated all along. It's not better than XDMS/Extreme it's at a completely different sonic level. AND I'm not exaggerating:)

Reactions: oldmustang
Oh it's definitely a different listening experience as Emile and Co. has stated all along. It's not better than XDMS/Extreme it's at a completely different sonic level. AND I'm not exaggerating:)
OK I''ve had my coffee so all is good ......but darn checking that link to the production list has yet to change

I am enjoying the music from the newly installed XDMS on my Extreme.
However, I do miss the Artist presentation on my iPad when I was using Roon.
There doesn't seem to be an option to display like this on XDMS?

Attachments

• iPad.jpg
    iPad.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 6
What output are you using on Rhapsody with the Olympus, analog RCA or digital AES/EBU?

What output are you using on Rhapsody with the Olympus, analog RCA or digital AES/EBU?
I am planning on using the analog outputs directly to different preamps. I was totally satisfied with the analog outs at Munich.

I am planning on using the analog outputs directly to different preamps. I was totally satisfied with the analog outs at Munich.
That speaks volumes about the quality of the XDMI analog output, Bob. Thanks for sharing that.

Steve Z

Hi everyone, I have to say that the latest version installed by the good Ed sounds quite better, the sound is more relaxed and detailed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing