Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

USB is not an Ethernet connection. The other 2 correspond to the 2 motherboard Ethernet ports.
David is correct. The "tweaked ethernet" refers to the one of two motherboard ethernet ports Emile enhanced the properties for.

Steve Z

I was curious to look at the Network Connections and rename the Adapters as Ed described.

My Network Connections are similar to 2ndLiner (see attached image).

Ethernet 2 (Network 3) is the Extreme Network Card, so that would be renamed “Taiko NIC.”

And I am assuming that “Tweaked Ethernet” is the Taiko Enhanced USB Card (formally known as Awesome!).

So would “Standard Ethernet” be LAN1 and “Tweaked Ethernet” LAN2?
You can easily check which is which by inserting/removing the ethernet cable from the back of the Extreme. You'll see the red cross appear/disappear for the respective port.

Despite the coming availability of XDMS, here is another reason not to get rid of Roon just yet:

roon-kk-box-hifi-news-july-2023-feat.jpg

Steve Z

You can easily check which is which by inserting/removing the ethernet cable from the back of the Extreme. You'll see the red cross appear/disappear for the respective port.

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Taiko's Router/Switch/Power Distributer will have a comfortable final resting place! Been working on this Network Rack. No wonder I have 2 new knees! This Red Oak is north of 125 years old. Lots of plaining/joining and cutting. Nice when you have a friend with a proper wood working shop. His radial arm saw had a frigging laser! I am pleasantly surprised I was able to rejuvenate this Oak to this extent. The pic doesn't show how pretty the grain is. I still have to finish the wood. Most likely a natural finish to go with the ebony frame...

Attachments

• IMG_0863 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0863 - Copy.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    977.9 KB · Views: 103
Taiko's Router/Switch/Power Distributer will have a comfortable final resting place! Been working on this Network Rack. No wonder I have 2 new knees! This Red Oak is north of 125 years old. Lots of plaining/joining and cutting. Nice when you have a friend with a proper wood working shop. His radial arm saw had a frigging laser! I am pleasantly surprised I was able to rejuvenate this Oak to this extent. The pic doesn't show how pretty the grain is. I still have to finish the wood. Most likely a natural finish to go with the ebony frame...
To heck with his radial arm saw -- I want to know if his sharks had frickin' laser beams, John.

Shark-Evil-Split.jpg

PS: From one guy to another -- nice rack!

Steve Z

To heck with his radial arm saw -- I want to know if his sharks had frickin' laser beams, John.

View attachment 113597

PS: From one guy to another -- nice rack!

Steve Z
Steve you would love this guys shop! He has every tool under the sun. His plainer, the wood is almost furniture quality when your through. I thought I'd have to do some sanding, smooth. My place I can cobble a few things together but his shop was a real pleasure!

In my previous post about the Network Audio Rack: My friend with the shop is 78 years old and a master furniture maker. If anyone needs something made, this is the guy. He even has a CNC Router. He can take any image and convert it to a SVG file. Any species of wood...PM me if anyone needs something custom made, I'll turn you on to him. He's also a very nice man...John

Last edited:
In my previous post about the Network Audio Rack: My friend with the shop is 78 years old and a master furniture maker. If anyone needs something made, this is the guy. He even has a CNC Router. He can take any image and convert it to a SVG file. Any species of wood...PM me if anyone needs something custom made, I'll turn you on to him. He's also a very nice man...John
Where does he live?

Where does he live?
Here in Elon North Carolina. About 10 minutes from my house. He is long retired but always keeping busy and wanting to build new things. He showed me some pieces he built, exquisite! I mentioned the audiophile world and he was quite fascinated. We get some pretty choice wood in this part of the country. He can do anything to anyone's specifications. I'm a very good craftsman/artist I work mostly in steel sculptures. @oldmustang, Steve has seen some of my work. He's (Ben) is in another league with wood! He's 78 but you wouldn't know it in the way he moves. His shop is 2nd to none...John PS I think Michael @2ndLiner mentioned you yesterday in a phone call? Tube related I think?

Last edited:
Things have become too quiet on this thread lately that I am wondering if this is the calm before the storm.It's almost August and hopefully the router will be shipping soon, XDMS becomes licensed, XDMS becomes Beta, XDMS-NSM appears followed shortly after by the BPS and Emile's new interface connection . The suspense makes me feel like a kid waiting to wake up on. Christmas Day . @Taiko Audio, @EuroDriver . @Christiaan Punter ......I miss your daily contributions and all of the news alerts as to "what's next". This past few weeks of calm has resulted in many of us looking to keep ourselves busy in many ways, one of which has been seeking out very old but excellent and of course very expensive tubes :eek:for our DACs in anticipation of what is around the corner. Please come back Taiko and get our minds off tubes, wooden shelves, and checking that our network and switches are functioning. Bring us back to the dinner table for those big meals which bring smiles to our faces.The silence is deafening:)

Things have become too quiet on this thread lately that I am wondering if this is the calm before the storm.It's almost August and hopefully the router will be shipping soon, XDMS becomes licensed, XDMS becomes Beta, XDMS-NSM appears followed shortly after by the BPS and Emile's new interface connection . The suspense makes me feel like a kid waiting to wake up on. Christmas Day . @Taiko Audio, @EuroDriver . @Christiaan Punter ......I miss your daily contributions and all of the news alerts as to "what's next". This past few weeks of calm has resulted in many of us looking to keep ourselves busy in many ways, one of which has been seeking out very old but excellent and of course very expensive tubes :eek:for our DACs in anticipation of what is around the corner. Please come back Taiko and get our minds off tubes, wooden shelves, and checking that our network and switches are functioning. Bring us back to the dinner table for those big meals which bring smiles to our faces.The silence is deafening:)
LOL!!! Thanks a lot Steve!

LOL!!! Thanks a lot Steve!
Reading this thread every morning has been a daily ritual for me. It goes good with my breakfast and coffee and energizes me for the day in anticipation of what is coming. The silence is killing me, especially since Christiaan dropped the bomb that he is user number 3 of XDMS-NSM while we grunts here in the ditches are waiting for anticipated Taiko releases (such as XDS-NSM :cool:) .

Please trust we've got many dishes on the stove, the cogs are turning, and the wheels are in motion. We may not have specific updates for the moment but please trust that countless things are worked on at this time.

But to be more specific, here are a few of our current important goals for XDMS (in no particular order):
- Getting NSM fully operational
- Extended Scanner interface functions such as pause/resume
- Queue functions overhaul
- Enhancing Troubleshooting Functionality
- Implementing connection status info (USB/Ethernet)
- Improved full-screen settings pane
- Streaming Service Provider certification (this has been and still is a major time-consumer, but today, we reached an important benchmark)
- And many more things...

Please trust we've got many dishes on the stove, the cogs are turning, and the wheels are in motion. We may not have specific updates for the moment but please trust that countless things are worked on at this time.

But to be more specific, here are a few of our current important goals for XDMS (in no particular order):
- Streaming Service Provider certification (this has been and still is a major time-consumer, but today, we reached an important benchmark)
Finally, the next "pearl of the day"

TY Christiaan for the update. The bolding is from me as I think this is the single biggest thing which will help launch XDMS-NSM

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Reading this thread every morning has been a daily ritual for me. It goes good with my breakfast and coffee and energizes me for the day in anticipation of what is coming. The silence is killing me, especially since Christiaan dropped the bomb that he is user number 3 of XDMS-NSM while we grunts here in the ditches are waiting for anticipated Taiko releases (such as XDS-NSM :cool:) .
Trust me on this, Steve, while NSM sounds spectacular, its functionality is currently seriously handicapped. I don't think you would want to use it in its current experimental state. That said, NSM is one of our highest priorities and we expect the functionality to be built out in the short term.

since my fan club expects this from me, let me modify the top priority to be "Getting NSM fully operationsal including gapless"

of course, YMMV

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
since my fan club expects this from me, let me modify the top priority to be "Getting NSM fully operationsal including gapless"

of course, YMMV
Gapless is most definitely also high on our to do list.

Update on the router:

The new PCBs with integrated Wi-Fi have arrived, we also used the opportunity to install our latest generation of GaN fet regulators which no longer need bulk electrolytic capacitors which increases longevity and replaced an input filter capacitor with a Duelund which interestingly performs very well at high frequencies despite the higher lead out inductance over SMD.

64fa1710-ca51-49ec-99ce-16a4ca34e079.JPG

7b6c4d31-73a4-4a7d-9534-0884bc6d1353.JPG

Now we're just waiting for cases to return from the surface finish company. We also found a new surface finish company with a much shorter turn-around and a higher working capacity which should also be able to provide the long sought after anodised silver finish!

Meanwhile we're experimenting with different antennas with some interesting results:

IMG_4050.jpg

Where conventional audiophile "wisdom" would have you think a smaller antenna is better, that is in fact not necessarily true, as what happens is that a smaller antenna may need more transmitter power which in turn increases noise. The same really goes for 2.4G vs 5G Wi-Fi, 5G needs more transmitter power due to it's shorter range which is most likely the actual cause of the notion that 5G is bad for SQ. Evidence currently points towards SQ being mainly impacted by a combination of antenna to device connection quality and the transmitter power this requires. We're going to optimize this for optimal in room performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing