Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Well the other Göbel cables are just as good
Yes, Goebel makes an excellent ethernet cable too.

Hello Mike,
Will you borrow one and test it on your home network?
;)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Hello Mike,
;)

well....er.....soon (tonight?....it's a matter whether my son is in the mood to install the newly arrived 15 PCIe drives or not) all my files will be local inside the Extreme server on the PCIe drives. and i have the fibre SPF from the Extreme to my network switch near my NAS. but my NAS won't be a factor in the performance any longer.

so would adding a better Ethernet cable (or better Gigaswitch or LPS) beyond the fibre have any role in the 'streaming' performance or the local files on my server?

i don't know the answer. likely Emile does.

well....er.....soobut my NAS won't be a factor in the performance any longer.
so would adding a better Ethernet cable (or better Gigaswitch or LPS) beyond the fibre have any role in the 'streaming' performance or the local files on my server?
Hello Mike,
If a good usb cable on the optical ProUSB still gives sonic improvement, so will a good ethernet cable on your optical ethernet.

BTW please do an experiment after you have installed the PCIe memory in your Extreme.
If the NAS is still active and connected to your switch, upgrading the NAS ethernet cable WILL still affect sonic performance even when you playback only the internally stored musical files inside the Extreme.
The effect is not large but still clearly audible, particularly via your hi-end system.
:cool:

Reactions: nonesup

Hello Mike,
;)

Though reduced in magnitude of impact, yes, all audible.

Hello Mike,
If a good usb cable on the optical ProUSB still gives sonic improvement, so will a good ethernet cable on your optical ethernet.

BTW please do an experiment after you have installed the PCIe memory in your Extreme.
If the NAS is still active and connected to your switch, upgrading the NAS ethernet cable WILL still affect sonic performance even when you playback only the internally stored musical files inside the Extreme.
The effect is not large but still clearly audible, particularly via your hi-end system.

and here i thought i was done.

silly me.;)

sigh.

Looks like the sotm switch has two fiber in/out connectors. Are these compatible with the Extreme spf?.Do you believe that this would be a better option then AQVOX SE?, A question to Emile about the new intona isolator 3: I am using the sotm txultra. Is the intona a better choice? The sotm has no galvanic isolation but better quality clock
Best, Carlos

Looks like the sotm switch has two fiber in/out connectors. Are these compatible with the Extreme spf?.Do you believe that this would be a better option then AQVOX SE?, A question to Emile about the new intona isolator 3: I am using the sotm txultra. Is the intona a better choice? The sotm has no galvanic isolation but better quality clock
Best, Carlos

They’re open SFP slots. Same as on the Extreme. So you have to use 2 fiber SFP modules, those have to be the same. SFP is a generic connector standard. There are copper cables with SFP connectors aswell.

The sotm tx ultra is a downgrade for the Extremes USB performance.

They’re open SFP slots. Same as on the Extreme. So you have to use 2 fiber SFP modules, those have to be the same. SFP is a generic connector standard. There are copper cables with SFP connectors aswell.

The sotm tx ultra is a downgrade for the Extremes USB performance.
Thank You Emile

the good news; my son will come over tonight and install those PCIe drives. thank you to Emile :) for the instructions. reading them........this install would not be for the rookies among us:eek:. i know Emile is a bit reluctant for someone to be poking around inside his creation. hope my son is worthy.

and........i've decided to stop here (take a deep breath) and observe all the upstream (above my SPF fibre) developments for a while and let things settle a bit. i want to just enjoy this level (i'm super happy) for some time, and then in a month or so come back and see where the bleeding edge has gone. no doubt there are more little things i could do now, but there will always be things.

That waiting time must coincide (perhaps a little more) with the release of the new Uptone Audio Switch on the EtherRegen. It takes a year and a half of development from nothing (it is not a modification of a generic Switch). If the expectations of Alex Crespi and John Swenson are met, it seems that it will be something really big. You can follow the discussions about this Switch in Computer Audiophile.

Hello Mike,
Some interesting snippets of information above. Take the above quote. Theoretically it doesn’t make sense for an upstream cable with no feed into the final locally stored stream to affect SQ but according to CKK it does. This is also my experience with my Innuos Statement. Is it because the upgraded cable allows less EMI into the system? I’ve upgraded several upstream remote stream cables and each time heard a useful uptick in performance from locally streamed files.

Re the AQVox question......the PS on the AQVox can be significantly upgraded, despite the manufacturer’s claim to the contrary. I added a Sean Jacobs designed CHC DC3 to an AQVox and the level of improvement was hard to believe, considering all I’d changed was the power supply to a switch. However if you think about it, what comes out of the AQVox is a voltage stream generated from the DC3’s 5 volts, so maybe not so surprising.

Finally regarding the SoTM TXUltra. I also found this to be a downgrade to the Innuos’s USB stream so there’s no doubt its 2 cables, extra PS etc is going to degrade the Extreme’s USB output. In my experience a good USB cable (in my case a Synergistic Research) gave me the best SQ

I also use SOTM Switching Herb.

This product's strong points are various.

1. OCXO clock makes sound signals more exact.

2. This herb can be installed by two SFP GBICs.

So If Sotm is used, Startech FMC connection is more perfect I think.

Actually I used HP-1810 Korean custom herb, SOTM herb is more better than HP-1810.

And SFP modules can be also used.

As my thought, SOTM herb is the best cost-effective product now.

Some interesting snippets of information above. Take the above quote. Theoretically it doesn’t make sense for an upstream cable with no feed into the final locally stored stream to affect SQ but according to CKK it does. This is also my experience with my Innuos Statement. Is it because the upgraded cable allows less EMI into the system? I’ve upgraded several upstream remote stream cables and each time heard a useful uptick in performance from locally streamed files. (...)

IMHO it is the big issue with current digital streaming or servers. When we say that "Theoretically it doesn’t make sense" it is just a nice way of saying that we are not really understanding at all what is happening , but we got some nice sound differences when we tried it.

In all fairness I expect that when I get a top server - something I will expect to consider next Autumn - I will not be dependent on tweaks on the internet line other than a fiber optic link. Or at less that I will have a reasonable explanation for them.

I also use SOTM Switching Herb.

This product's strong points are various.

1. OCXO clock makes sound signals more exact.

2. This herb can be installed by two SFP GBICs.

So If Sotm is used, Startech FMC connection is more perfect I think.

Actually I used HP-1810 Korean custom herb, SOTM herb is more better than HP-1810.

And SFP modules can be also used.

As my thought, SOTM herb is the best cost-effective product now.

What is the sotm switch herb? Are you reffering to the snh-10G?
If you put this switch between your router and streamer with fiber connection from switch and sfp tranceiver on the streamer( being without fiber connection) does it make sense?

IMHO it is the big issue with current digital streaming or servers. When we say that "Theoretically it doesn’t make sense" it is just a nice way of saying that we are not really understanding at all what is happening , but we got some nice sound differences when we tried it.

In all fairness I expect that when I get a top server - something I will expect to consider next Autumn - I will not be dependent on tweaks on the internet line other than a fiber optic link. Or at less that I will have a reasonable explanation for them.

It can be quite easy:

Most of the Extreme owners use this:

Shopping list:
1 x Startech ET91000SFP2 Fiber Media Converter
2 x Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Modules
1 x Fiber cable at needed length, 9/125 OS2 low loss quality, LC connectors on both sides

Setup:
1) connect the Startech ET91000SFP2 Fiber Media Converter to either main switch or ISP router with a copper UTP cable
2) insert 1 Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Module into the Startech ET91000SFP2 FMC SFP slot
3) insert 1 Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Module into the Extreme SFP slot
4) connect Fiber cable to the SFP modules mentioned in Step 2 and 3

All of them are thrilled with the improvement over a regular copper UTP cable between server and switch or ISP router, none of them had any issues getting it to work.

COMPLETELY optional tweaks:
-Replace FMC power supply with a high quality LPS
-Replace Ethernet copper cable from FMC to switch/ISP router with an audiophile version of your choice
-Replace Switch (if used) with an audiophile version
-Replace Switch and/or ISP router powersupplies with a high quality LPS

I highlighted COMPLETELY because most are already so satisfied with the performance at this stage they are not that eager to try and squeeze out more.

Reactions: heebrog
What is the sotm switch herb? Are you reffering to the snh-10G?
If you put this switch between your router and streamer with fiber connection from switch and sfp tranceiver on the streamer( being without fiber connection) does it make sense?

Router - RJ45 Cable - 1st HP 2530 - Fiber Cable - 2nd HP 2530 - Fiber Cable - SOTM Herb

- Fiber Cable - SGM Extreme or SGM 2015 EVO

Now I use this connection.

When I receive Startech FMC, my ethernet connection will be changed

Router - RJ45 Cable - 1st HP 2530 - Fiber Cable - 2nd HP 2530 - Fiber Cable - SOTM Herb

- Fiber Cable - SGM Extreme or SGM 2015 EVO

Now I use this connection.

When I receive Startech FMC, my ethernet connection will be changed
Sotm herb= sotm snh-10g?

Reactions: Samsoum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing