Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I would go like this:
Switch - default
Router - alt2, too dark, change to default, still too dark, change to alt1

Then try xmds alt or default

Then try the ASIO options

Or just leave everything on default :)
This is funny. This is exactly the order of my testing .
its great to know I am doing something right.

Also I love to have that kind of flexibility as I can have everything under my control.
If I change one component or cable I can come back and fine tune the system to my preference with help of this settings . Its amazing and very useful tool . Yes it is for „crazy” people like myself but I know what could be achieved with this unlimited amount of different options. I cant believe I ordered Olympus as the Extreme is now sounding so realistic ( with ASIO X2) that I feel this is exactly I was looking for for the last 25 years.
I hope Olympus XDMI will have more of that realism to offer.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The ASIO drivers have proved quite interesting with a lot of discussion going on about it on Discord. Ed has explained what X0,X1, X2 and X3 are BUT people over there are wondering if we could be changing the ASIO setting depending on the format of file being played. Im on X1 and was previously on X3. When Ed did a backend update end of December for me and then listened, all the life was gone form the system. It was air someone had reduced the gain setting on my preamp. I watched Ed then switch to adaptive X1 and then played music......I almost fell off my seat using 16 bit ASIO (X1). I have left it on this setting as it sounds so good

@Taiko Audio

Emile can you add any comments as to whether there is a reason to switch adaptive settings depending on whether we are playing 16, 24 or 32 bit files. Ed had suggested to me after he made the switch that R and D at Taiko had suggested the best SQ is using 16 bit ASIO at X1......or is it dependent on the file played

Reactions: Stbo

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The ASIO drivers have proved quite interesting with a lot of discussion going on about it on Discord. Ed has explained what X0,X1, X2 and X3 are BUT people over there are wondering if we could be changing the ASIO setting depending on the format of file being played. Im on X1 and was previously on X3. When Ed did a backend update end of December for me and then listened, all the life was gone form the system. It was air someone had reduced the gain setting on my preamp. I watched Ed then switch to adaptive X1 and then played music......I almost fell off my seat using 16 bit ASIO (X1). I have left it on this setting as it sounds so good

@Taiko Audio

Emile can you add any comments as to whether there is a reason to switch adaptive settings depending on whether we are playing 16, 24 or 32 bit files. Ed had suggested to me after he made the switch that R and D at Taiko had suggested the best SQ is using 16 bit ASIO at X1......or is it dependent on the file played
I'm on X1. TBH it sounds tedious to think I need or would want to change ASIO setting for particular files. I would think development on this would want this as user friendly as possible...

Reactions: wil and Kris

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

@Taiko Audio

No you don’t have to change it for different bit / sample rates. Just pick the one you prefer and leave it at that.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
That was precisely my thought. I’m a set it and forget it guy. My system excels X1. adaptive but several on discord are wondering if each setting might improve a file played at that bit rate

It will work the same for each rate you play and I would be very surprised if your preference would change for a different bit / sample rate.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
It will work the same for each rate you play and I would be very surprised if your preference would change for a different bit / sample rate.

I agree 100 %
I tested this on many different sample rates and DSD. It is exctlay the same on all of them.
The key I believe is the USB CHIP type you have OR the personal preference.
SO once you decide what you like you can stay relaxed and happy of what you get.

The only time I would check it again is AFTER Ed updates the system. Each update might change your preference or the way the chip gets the data.
I was in love with X1 untill the last update. After that I would always pick X2.

wil

Jul 22, 2015

@Taiko Audio

God, I hope not! Too many variables for this simple guy!

Reactions: 2ndLiner

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
God, I hope not! Too many variables for this simple guy!
Welcome to the world of audiophilia nervosa. . .

Steve Z

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
No you don’t have to change it for different bit / sample rates. Just pick the one you prefer and leave it at that.
Oh shucks, I was planning on changing it for classical pieces during the track.

One setting for when there was a quiet passage, then pause and change it when the full orchestra came in, then pause and change it for the string section appearing.

It's no fun if it works for everything:)

Backo NYC/SF

Oct 15, 2021
Oh shucks, I was planning on changing it for classical pieces during the track.

One setting for when there was a quiet passage, then pause and change it when the full orchestra came in, then pause and change it for the string section appearing.

It's no fun if it works for everything:)
You could save some steps if you play all the quiet passages first and then the loud ones. Make sure to let the system cool down between passages. At least 24 hours. And whatever you do, don't forget to reverse the phase of USB.

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
1.) Are we still talking here about the four USB drivers that are on the Extreme‘s desktop, which were introduced 2(?) ago?
2.) Can the profiles 1-4 be selected within XDMS by now or is right click on the profile and run on the Extreme‘s desktop still the way to select / change?
3.) How can I tell which profile is currently running?
4.) For those going the simplistic way of Olympus XDMI analogue out: The four filters won‘t able any more, right?

Christiaan Punter

1.) Are we still talking here about the four USB drivers that are on the Extreme‘s desktop, which were introduced 2(?) ago?
2.) Can the profiles 1-4 be selected within XDMS by now or is right click on the profile and run on the Extreme‘s desktop still the way to select / change?
4.) For those going the simplistic way of Olympus XDMI analogue out: The four filters won‘t able any more, right?
--> Among others, we are talking about the four different USB Profiles, indeed. But there are more settings that can be made such as Sound Profile and ASIO Channel. See image below. Then, there are more variables deep down in the software, accessible for testers, but not normally intended to be tinkered with.

--> Direct XDMS control of the USB profiles is on the to do list and we already made provision for it in settings but the functionality itself not yet available.

--> Alas, there is currently no easy way to tell. If in doubt, just run the desired profile again (the server will restart)

--> I will leave that for Emile to answer.

1706699943855.png

Last edited:

grandsoir

Dec 28, 2020
Besides the internal PCIE storage which can be 24tb? Can I use these as external drives?

I keep all my music on them and want to order some more because I have 800 DSD albums incoming and it takes a lot of space

Attachments

• IMG_4970.png
    IMG_4970.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Christiaan Punter

Besides the internal PCIE storage which can be 24tb? Can I use these as external drives?

I keep all my music on them and want to order some more because I have 800 DSD albums incoming and it takes a lot of space
Sure, with Roon, you can configure your library storage location(s) any way you like, including external USB storage. Just please note that the audio performance of external drives is not all the way up there with our optimized internal storage.

With two Hyper M2 cards, the Extreme can hold a total maximum of 64TB of storage.

Our current recommendation is to stick to a maximum of 8 internal drives. You can fit more drives, but this does come with an impact on the sound quality. Each can be sized up to 8TB for a maximum of 64TB internal storage, but this is not cheap. 2TB drives are far more economical than 4 or 8TB drives.

Reactions: oldmustang

grandsoir

Dec 28, 2020
Ok got it!

so 64tb max and 8tb per disc for maximum sound quality. And so if I have my music as a backup on ssd external I just keep copying over what I want to the internal discs.

thanks

Christiaan Punter

Ok got it!

so 64tb max and 8tb per disc for maximum sound quality. And so if I have my music as a backup on ssd external I just keep copying over what I want to the internal discs.

thanks
Indeed, that's what I would suggest:)

For more info, please have a look at the Downloads page on our website, Extreme Server section. There, you'll find two documents detailing the storage options.

Reactions: oldmustang and lwr

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
somehow I do not think that using a DAC is proprietary to Taiko

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing