Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Christiaan Punter

There is no such thing as a "USB-spec compliant printer cable." All USB cables are either USB compliant or not, a printer is a device that, if implementing USB for I/O and / or power needs to adhere to USB specs like any other USB - capable device.
Indeed, "printer cable" is just an expression to indicate an "el-cheapo" standard USB cable.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I'm no longer sure if I can decipher the difference between default/alternative in NSM. At first I thought I heard an uptick in alternative. I'll play around some more. Bottom line NSM sounds DAMN GOOD!

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
there is no taskmaster. It is called task manager. If you right click on the task bar it comes up in the context menu. Click on task manager and stop the services XDMS player and XDMS server. Then close the task manager and run Roon. You can then go to your tablet and Roon should be running.

Many thanks. Needless to say it worked.

Reactions: dminches

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
With removal of the (very good) Ediscreation extreme switch in front of Taiko switch, I had a loss of big scale dynamics, of thrust, impact.

Meanwhile the Taiko router and dc distributor have arrived.
Setup was done without problems, to my considerable surprise.
There are a few things in my life I am good at, things digital certainly NOT among them.
I did succeed:)

Initial impressions were nice, a very relaxed presentation, very likable, but nothing to get excited about.
12hours later things had changed. Quite a lot.
Impact, thrust, vigour, excitement are back, big time.
Now some 24hours more.
Deep bass reproduction had been raved about by others here before.
They all … were and are bloody well right.
Deep bass instruments are reproduced with vigour, intensity and a depth now I haven’t had ever before.
But there is more to it.
Fine textural details, a naturalness, which really did impress me.
But most of all, fine small scale dynamic variations which make the musicians’ expression, their intent in interpretatio, the meaning in their music - they are here to a degree I didn’t think possible with bloody digital.
In deep bass and … elsewhere!

I am in this hobby more than fourty years.
A few components had made me truly enthusiastic.
The gold coil Hul Grasshopper prototype, one of three, in my turntable.
The Apogee Scintillas.
This is in the same league.
Astonishingly, it does keep getting better and better.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
With removal of the (very good) Ediscreation extreme switch in front of Taiko switch, I had a loss of big scale dynamics, of thrust, impact.

There are a few things in my life I am good at, things digital certainly among them.

Initial impressions were nice, a very relaxed presentation, very likable, but nothing to get excited about.
Now some 24hours more.
Deep bass instruments are reproduced with vigour, intensity and a depth now I haven’t had ever before.
But there is more to it.
But most of all, fine small scale dynamic variations which make the musicians’ expression, their intent in interpretatio, the meaning in their music - they are here to a degree I didn’t think possible with bloody digital.

The Apogee Scintillas.

Thank you!

Sounds like you’re getting an early start on some end of year fireworks :)

More to come in 2024 !

Happy New Year everybody !

SeungHo Choi

May 16, 2023

There are a few things in my life I am good at, things digital certainly NOT among them.

Now some 24hours more.
But there is more to it.

The Apogee Scintillas.

Thank you!

Are you going to take out Ediscreation now?
I wonder which combination will sound the best.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Are you going to take out Ediscreation now?
I wonder which combination will sound the best.
I will have to retry the Ediscreation with T router & T switch, in front of both.

Next step will be trying to remove the (parallel to T router/Tswitch) Ediscreation without degrading sonics, plugging tv and home office directly into the ips Swisscom router. Hope this works well.
Then I’ll try the Ediscreation in front of all, in the house installation where up to now a netgear gs108e distributes to my and three more flats.

Cheers, Ulrich

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
Earlier this week @EuroDriver helped me with a support issue - I was unable to connect my new Dac via USB, turned out I needed a new USB driver. I think this was well into the evening for him, but he was really quick to get on the case, and we had a good chat while I watched him sort it out on TeamViewer. Thank you so much Ed, you are as star! Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get round to this message, I've been glued to my listening seat ever since!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Earlier this week @EuroDriver helped me with a support issue - I was unable to connect my new Dac via USB, turned out I needed a new USB driver. I think this was well into the evening for him, but he was really quick to get on the case, and we had a good chat while I watched him sort it out on TeamViewer. Thank you so much Ed, you are as star! Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get round to this message, I've been glued to my listening seat ever since!
we would all be lost sheep with out Ed. The man never sleeps and is always there to help. The praise IMO is indeed well deserved. Ed is 9 time zones ahead of me and is always available

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
we would all be lost sheep with out Ed. The man never sleeps and is always there to help. The praise IMO is indeed well deserved. Ed is 9 time zones ahead of me and is always available

+1 regarding Ed. It is amazing how much he has done and how many people he has personally helped.

an.vamv

Mar 18, 2014
+1 regarding Ed. It is amazing how much he has done and how many people he has personally helped.

+1 : Ed @EuroDriver is a fantastic person and very professional. He was available on New Year's day to install my NSM as well as the following days to assist with a flashing ASIO driver in Roon around 23.00 at night his time . Great asset to the Taiko team !

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
The new Taiko Audio dedicated forum :

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The new Taiko Audio dedicated forum :

@Taiko Audio
Does it make sense to integrate the Extreme thread into the new Taiko Audio dedicated forum?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That would invalidate thousands of external links.
Precisely the reason. The Taiko thread is properly placed in the appropriate subforum and I see it as the place where users can gather and discuss general issues. The Taiko subforum is a wikipedia of all things Taiko

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
posting here as I believe this topic can’t be severed into one taiko sub thread. Preface w I am fully on Taiko train 4 years running (extreme, switch, router, power distributor) and olympus is on order.

Currently there are numerous permutations to try off the taiko power distributor w default, alternate and bypass configs. and XDMS NMS currently offers numerous options from straight up alternative or default, or on each of those 4 different aiso driver options. (apologize if i am not getting this exactly correct). overlay that w over a hundred tube combinations with the Horizon etc. all good problems to have w such flexibility. there is a bit of deflation as it appears there is no real consistency for anyone.

But take the Horizon out of the equation, how are we to ascertain the best combination of filters and driver options given the high number of combinations and few dozen dacs in use. but on top of that consistently evolving/improving developments w xdms and integration w olympus - how often will all permutations need to be reevaluated.

Rather than 64 or 128 options to try to experiment with, i would love to know the two or three i should try and set and forget. the permutations are currently overwhelming (for some) and growing. but also what a luxury to fine tune right? i am curious what is the sound profile taiko aims for/recommends. i assume ‘ultimate neutrality’ would be an over simplification given now all the permutations through taiko products. would love to hear from others, taiko etc

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
posting here as I believe this topic can’t be severed into one taiko sub thread. Preface w I am fully on Taiko train 4 years running (extreme, switch, router, power distributor) and olympus is on order.

Currently there are numerous permutations to try off the taiko power distributor w default, alternate and bypass configs. and XDMS NMS currently offers numerous options from straight up alternative or default, or on each of those 4 different aiso driver options. (apologize if i am not getting this exactly correct). overlay that w over a hundred tube combinations with the Horizon etc. all good problems to have w such flexibility. there is a bit of deflation as it appears there is no real consistency for anyone.

But take the Horizon out of the equation, how are we to ascertain the best combination of filters and driver options given the high number of combinations and few dozen dacs in use. but on top of that consistently evolving/improving developments w xdms and integration w olympus - how often will all permutations need to be reevaluated.

Rather than 64 or 128 options to try to experiment with, i would love to know the two or three i should try and set and forget. the permutations are currently overwhelming (for some) and growing. but also what a luxury to fine tune right? i am curious what is the sound profile taiko aims for/recommends. i assume ‘ultimate neutrality’ would be an over simplification given now all the permutations through taiko products. would love to hear from others, taiko etc

I would go like this:
Switch - default
Router - alt2, too dark, change to default, still too dark, change to alt1

Then try xmds alt or default

Then try the ASIO options

Or just leave everything on default :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing