Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I would be hard pressed to think that the USB cable. Is the issue. In all the years of this thread and reading if some of the connectivity issues members have, I cannot recall ever that a USB cable is at fault unless the cable itself is broke. Try a cheap $5 USB cable If it doesn't work then it must be something else. If it does work throw away the first cable

Reactions: simorag

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Long shot .... but perhaps I am lucky to post here.

I am auditioning the Sennheiser HE-1 at home for the weekend. I can drive them via the Rossini, yet I am not able to use them out of the Extreme via USB direct.

After a support session with the awesome Taiko guys where they updated my drivers among other things, it seems that the issue may be with the USB cables I am using. The thing is that I have tried three of them (Sablon, ForzaAudioWorks, Phasure) with same result, i.e. that the Extreme and HE-1 don't handshake. I have been suggested to try a plain USB cable, but I don't have one at hand right now.

Of course the other option is that the demo HE-1 unit I am using has a defective USB input.

Any Extreme / HE-1 owner has had a similar issue, I would be grateful for any hints.
It probably is the cable.

I’ve had issues with the Sablon Evo USB cable on some, but not all DACs, like the T+A and dCS DACs. The unique features of the cable also cause its characteristic impedance fall outside the compliance range of the USB spec.

The best way to verify the cable as the root cause is to just go out and buy yourself a cheap USB-spec-compliant printer cable. Belden is a good brand for this here in the US.

Assuming it is the cable, the aforementioned Shunyata Omega is excellent and hard to beat.

Steve Williams

I’ve had issues with the Sablon Evo USB cable on some, but not all DACs, like the T+A and dCS DACs. The unique features of the cable also cause its characteristic impedance fall outside the compliance range of the USB spec.

The best way to verify the cable as the root cause is to just go out and buy yourself a cheap USB-spec-compliant printer cable. Belden is a good brand for this here in the US.

Assuming it is the cable, the aforementioned Shunyata Omega is excellent and hard to beat.
shows you how much I know o_O. Isn't there a standard for USB cables that impedance shouldn't change. There is no doubt however that these cables do in fact sound different but Ive never heard of a cable that just doesn't work unless it is broken and I know someone who recently had this happen with his USB cable

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I use the Sablon cable and I love it but there was one version of it which didn’t work with my Lampi DAC. Mark did say that the cable doesn’t exactly meet USB specs (my words) and in some instances there could be issues. I have not had any with the newest model and my Horizon. The cable isn’t broken, but it could be incompatible.

Also, make sure that the cheap cable you buy passes both power and data since your DAC many require the power part.

Steve Williams

I use the Sablon cable and I love it but there was one version of it which didn’t work with my Lampi DAC. Mark did say that the cable doesn’t exactly meet USB specs (my words) and in some instances there could be issues. I have not had any with the newest model and my Horizon. The cable isn’t broken, but it could be incompatible.

Also, make sure that the cheap cable you buy passes both power and data since your DAC many require the power part.
No offense to Mark but if a cable isn't made to specs and then doesn't work as a result, this would be an issue of contention for me

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No offense to Mark but if a cable isn't made to specs and then doesn't work as a result, this would be an issue of contention for me

Of course, if the cable doesn’t work then it is an issue but he redesigned it so it does work.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I just purchased a USB 'printer cable' (upon suggestion by Taiko), will try later in the afternoon and report back.

Christiaan Punter

I just purchased a USB 'printer cable' (upon suggestion by Taiko), will try later in the afternoon and report back.
Nice! I'm interested to hear if that does the trick.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Sablon EVO usb cable with T+A SD 3100 hv dac here: no problems, just beautiful music.

Reactions: austinpop

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Nice! I'm interested to hear if that does the trick.

The printer USB cable indeed works fine!

And the sound is just beautiful ... at least not a dramatic step back compared to the Rossini upon immediate switch.

Thanks @Christiaan Punter and everyone else pointing me in the right direction. I was sure I could count on this community as usual ;-)

tubes59

Jan 3, 2011

My current version Sablon Evo does not work with my Lampi Pacific and Extreme.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy

And the sound is just beautiful ... at least not a dramatic step back compared to the Rossini upon immediate switch.

Thanks @Christiaan Punter and everyone else pointing me in the right direction. I was sure I could count on this community as usual ;-)

Bad news for my wallet. After more listening it turns out that the Rossini APEX / Clock combo actually provides a major improvement over the built-in DAC on the HE-1 :-( The HE-1 DAC sounds tinny, harsh and less spacious in direct comparison ...

I was hoping I could trade-in the dCS stack to get the HE-1.

The Taiko XDMI module with analog out perhaps could mitigate the gap while recovering the budget to get a full fledged DAC. However, we do not know how much that module will cost yet, and I have a gut feeling (@Taiko Audio ?) that it will be able to compete with high-end (not including ultra-high-end) DACs only when fed by the BPS, which again poses a serious investment question mark at the time being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcng and John T

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Bad news for my wallet. After more listening it turns out that the Rossini APEX / Clock combo actually provides a major improvement over the built-in DAC on the HE-1 :-( The HE-1 DAC sounds tinny, harsh and less spacious in direct comparison ...

I was hoping I could trade-in the dCS stack to get the HE-1.

The Taiko XDMI module with analog out perhaps could mitigate the gap while recovering the budget to get a full fledged DAC. However, we do not know how much that module will cost yet, and I have a gut feeling (@Taiko Audio ?) that it will be able to compete with high-end (not including ultra-high-end) DACs only when fed by the BPS, which again poses a serious investment question mark at the time being.

We are gearing up to do a detailed product presentation on Wednesday entailing all our new product releases.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
We are gearing up to do a detailed product presentation on Wednesday entailing all our new product releases.
I don't know whether to be happy or scared

Steve Williams

for those who haven't seen my impressions of NSM, here is the link. Comments should be posted in that thread rather than here until NSM is readily available for roll out. All I can say is that if you think you've heard "digital", you haven't until you listen to NSM. This will reset everyone's parameters. Personally I have never heard digital sound as good as this.....and according to Emile , the best is yet to come. Wednesday is only 3 days away. I for one am looking forward to reading Emile's presentation as this hopefully will be the icing on the cake with the release of the "big Kahuna" which will take us even further down the digital path .....could this announcement be end game for we Taiko users ? I have to say that NSM gets one close to the finish line

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021

Not sure design decisions could be considered a "feature" when it breaks spec and compliance with the fundamental protocol that enables the underlying technology

Christiaan Punter

Glad to hear you got this sorted in time to be able to test this over the weekend!

Reactions: nenon and simorag

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing