Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Easy-peasy. All up to date now.

I'll have to do some more listening this evening to determine where I fall now on the Roon or XDMS question but right now Roon build 1353 sounds damn good!

Thanks to all the Taiko team -- the team that never, ever sleeps.

Steve Z

Steve, after the 1353 update do you still have the ability to turn on/off auto updates? In my setup the gear symbol is no longer showing in the box.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve, after the 1353 update do you still have the ability to turn on/off auto updates? In my setup the gear symbol is no longer showing in the box.
Hi David,

Using my MacBookAir, with Roon build 1353 I can still see the gear symbol for my MacBookAir Roon client and Extreme and made sure they both stayed on having auto-updates off after the Roon build 1353 install (they did).

However, on my iPad when I open the Roon client and go to Settings > About it does not show the gear wheel for setting Roon update behavior. Nor does it show a Roon build 1353 build available for my iPad.

This is the MacBookAir Roon client, build 1353: Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 11.35.22.png

Hope this helps.

Steve Z

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi David,

Using my MacBookAir, with Roon build 1353 I can still see the gear symbol for my MacBookAir Roon client and Extreme and made sure they both stayed on having auto-updates off after the Roon build 1353 install (they did).

However, on my iPad when I open the Roon client and go to Settings > About it does not show the gear wheel for setting Roon update behavior. Nor does it show a Roon build 1353 build available for my iPad.

This is the MacBookAir Roon client, build 1353: View attachment 120478

Hope this helps.

Steve Z

I only use my iPad and don’t see the gear either so I have no idea what the setting is.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Download Roon to a handy laptop or desktop computer you can put on the TaikoAudio network, to check?

Oh, and send a UI bug report to Roon about their iPad client. I have.

Steve Z

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
However, last evening PST, Emile sent me a preliminary package that he had been working on to update the Extreme OS settings.

I too got the booty call last night. :)

"You up? Try this, tell me what you think. 221123.zip" Or words to that effect.

I completely agree with all the descriptions posted. As I reported to Emile: "Improves both Roon and XDMS equally for me. But with XDMS, man oh man! Much more holographic and enveloping soundstage. Also tonally richer and more refined."

Keep in mind, I don't have the router and DCD, only the switch and NIC, so I found the soundstage improvements the most striking, and the gap between XDMS and Roon is as big as ever.

Christiaan Punter

I only use my iPad and don’t see the gear either so I have no idea what the setting is.
This can be seen (also with Build 1353 after applying today's tweaks) after clicking the gear wheel, but only on Desktop apps (MacOS/Windows). Indeed, there are no gear wheels in Tablet apps (iOS/Android).

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 21.20.57.png

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Christiaan Punter

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Khyle updated the Software early today with improved SQ on XDMS. Toggled to Roon tonight but devices could not be discovered. Toggled back to XDMS and Qobuz could not now be discovered. I think Roon could still be running in the background. Emailed support for help tomorrow..

tubes59

Jan 3, 2011
Is anyone else still waiting for the chrome router/distributor they ordered before June? I followed up with support for the first time three weeks ago and was told it would ship out in the next 1-3 weeks.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Native is not really the right word. I mean instead of starting from the TaikoRoon service, start from the normal Roon shortcut on the Extreme's desktop.

The full description is in the document (see below).

Christiaan,

Just one little extra observation for those who DIY following your excellent document.
- after the update, if you go into Start > (gear) > Apps
- at least on my system, I now see an entry for Roon (1353), and a stale entry for RoonServer (1311)
- when I tried to uninstall RoonServer, Windows told me it was no longer present, and I had an option to delete the entry
- I tried a reboot to see if that would automatically clean it up, but it didn't
- so I went ahead and removed that stale RoonServer entry.

All in all, this is a nothing-burger. It just seems that when Roon's updater ran, it correctly uninstalled the old RoonServer 1311 package, but didn't do the final cleanup step to remove the RoonServer entry from the Windows app list.

It probably doesn't matter to 99% of users, except those slightly OCD people like me who hate a mess!

Reactions: nonesup

R S

Mar 13, 2021
Is anyone else still waiting for the chrome router/distributor they ordered before June? I followed up with support for the first time three weeks ago and was told it would ship out in the next 1-3 weeks.
I ordered early May and they shipped earlier this week so awaiting delivery. It’s felt like a long time!

tubes59

Jan 3, 2011
I ordered early May and they shipped earlier this week so awaiting delivery. It’s felt like a long time!
Thank you. Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Hopefully, I'll get word it's shipped soon too.

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
- at least on my system, I now see an entry for Roon (1353), and a stale entry for RoonServer (1311)
- when I tried to uninstall RoonServer, Windows told me it was no longer present, and I had an option to delete the entry
After performing the update, my system also has the stale entry for RoonServer (1311). And after selecting uninstall I also received the Windows error message that it was no longer present. However, I was not presented with an option to delete the entry.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
After performing the update, my system also has the stale entry for RoonServer (1311). And after selecting uninstall I also received the Windows error message that it was no longer present. However, I was not presented with an option to delete the entry.

OK, to be very exact, I actually viewed the programs with the older Windows method.
- click Start > Scroll down to Windows System > Control Panel
- Now select Programs > Programs and Features
- in this view, click once on Roon Server. You should see an Uninstall button
- Click Uninstall, then the pop up should come up asking if you want to remove the entry.

Reactions: EuroDriver

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
A question for the Taiko team - for people on Roon 1311, is it best for them to do the update to 1353 first and then have the Taiko update done or is this not necessary? Only reason I ask is because that is what I did, and everything works perfectly (and sounds awesome!).

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
OK, to be very exact, I actually viewed the programs with the older Windows method.
- click Start > Scroll down to Windows System > Control Panel
- Now select Programs > Programs and Features
- in this view, click once on Roon Server. You should see an Uninstall button
- Click Uninstall, then the pop up should come up asking if you want to remove the entry.
Perfect.
Thanks Rajiv!
From another member of Team OCD.
-Gerry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing