Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I’m sure I haven’t tested as thoroughly as Kris, but my initial impression is that removing my PF/buffalo Router and connecting copper Lan
to Taiko Router is an improvement in my system.

But I’ll take my time and listen more before reaching a conclusion on that.

I am curious if fiber might be an improvement for me given the 70 foot length of my copper Lan from modem to Taiko router. But this would require two Sonore optical converters (expensive).

I know Taiko doesn’t see fiber as the optimal connection but other manufacturers do view fiber as the best network cabling. I wonder what accounts for the difference of opinion?

As for my comparison between wired to remote and Wi-Fi to remote, it’s too close to call at the moment. Given that, I’ll just choose not to use Wi-Fi.

It’s not as much as a difference of opinion but a different situation, caused by the power consumption of the fibre SFP modules which is typically around 1.5 watts each. Normally this is not very relevant as a typical wi-fi router will consume between 12 and 24 watts, your buffalo switch consumes perhaps around 12 (?) watts, the OCXO will add a few watts aswell, maybe an additional 5 as it’s probably linear powered. So not that big a deal to add 3 watts for 2 fiber modules on a total of 30-40 watts.

However, the Taiko switch consumes between 1.1 - and 1.3 watts, aka less then a single SFP fiber module. The Router consumes between 5 and 6 watts. Now all of a sudden the SFP fibre modules power consumption is very significant , at ~ 125% of the switch, and ~ 25-30% of the router, and you need 2…

Add to this that the dominant type of noise in the router and switch is power supply noise, which is a type of noise which increases with higher power consumption, and all of a sudden it seems like a less good idea to use fiber.

But as always, it’s highly recommended to form your own opinion by listening yourself, and very appreciated to share your findings, your datapoints are invaluable to improve our products. We wouldn’t be where we are today without them.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Indeed, activity from connected devices matter though, but without an Antenna, there are no connected devices :)

“traffic processing” on the Wi-Fi receiver creates less noise then on a RJ45 (wired) connection due the lower power consumption. If you can actually hear that is a different question ;)

In order of “traffic caused” noise the ranking from lowest to highest is:

1) DAC
2) Wi-Fi
3) RJ45
4) Fiber
For number 3: if we use port forwarding, meaning that connection is already active with only one RJ45 cable connected (same one as to main house router), does it drop that the noise caused to below #2?

As mentioned I have no choice but to use port forwarding due to weak signal, but just curious.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
For number 3: if we use port forwarding, meaning that connection is already active with only one RJ45 cable connected (same one as to main house router), does it drop that the noise caused to below #2?

As mentioned I have no choice but to use port forwarding due to weak signal, but just curious.

Yes. You can boost transmission power and/or mount a larger antenna if you need more range.

Reactions: jelt2359

RyanTX

Feb 15, 2023
Japan
Hi Emile or community,

I just received my router and DCD tonight. Sounds quite good out of the box and not burned in!

Quick question on the black DCD, mine doesn’t have any labels on the back for default, alt 1/2, unfiltered, etc. I basically have to look at the visual diagram online to see which hole is which. Is this correct?

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
Hi Emile or community,

I just received my router and DCD tonight. Sounds quite good out of the box and not burned in!

Quick question on the black DCD, mine doesn’t have any labels on the back for default, alt 1/2, unfiltered, etc. I basically have to look at the visual diagram online to see which hole is which. Is this correct?
I think that's right.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile or community,

Can you contact support@taikoaudio.com? There should actually be a label, sounds like an oversight, we can overnight you a label. Meanwhile you can indeed go by the visual diagram online. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

Reactions: RyanTX

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I thought I had read in a previous post that the IP address of the Extreme would not change once it is assigned by the Taiko router.

Last night we lost power and after it was restored I restarted the Extreme. In the process the IP address changed from 192.168.100.180 to 192.168.100.69.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I thought I had read in a previous post that the IP address of the Extreme would not change once it is assigned by the Taiko router.

Last night we lost power and after it was restored I restarted the Extreme. In the process the IP address changed from 192.168.100.180 to 192.168.100.69.

How long was it unpowered?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
How long was it unpowered?

Let me correct my post. The Extreme IP did not change. What changed was the router’s IP address on my main subnet. So, this means that I have to edit the VNC and Windows network map since they were based on the old router IP address. I think the best solution is to make the router IP address static.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat6man

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Let me correct my post. The Extreme IP did not change. What changed was the router’s IP address on my main subnet. So, this means that I have to edit all the port forwarding rules since they were based on the old router IP address. I think the best solution is to make the router IP address static.

Isn't that setting to static done on the main subnet, not the taiko equipment?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Isn't that setting to static done on the main subnet, not the taiko equipment?

Yes. I edited my post to refer to the correct changes that I have to make but I don’t think I said to make the router IP address static via the Taiko router settings (unless I am misunderstanding your comment).

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Let me correct my post. The Extreme IP did not change. What changed was the router’s IP address on my main subnet. So, this means that I have to edit the VNC and Windows network map since they were based on the old router IP address. I think the best solution is to make the router IP address static.
Yeah that would be your main router/DHCP server assigning Taiko router a IP. So nothing to do with Taiko router. Look at your main router.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yeah that would be your main router/DHCP server assigning Taiko router a IP. So nothing to do with Taiko router. Look at your main router.

Yes. I just added a static route in my Edge Router OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Good catch Dave!
I have lots of power hits here and this would have happened to me inevitably.
I'll make mine static tomorrow
Here in this neck of the woods we also get occasional "power hits". So with eyes glazed, I recon I should also configure a static route when I install the Taiko Router? BTW I don't have a clue what a static route is. Also the router doesn't seem to be set it and forget it. It also doesn't sound like "one shoe fits all"...

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
Here in this neck of the woods we also get occasional "power hits". So with eyes glazed, I recon I should also configure a static route when I install the Taiko Router? BTW I don't have a clue what a static route is. Also the router doesn't seem to be set it and forget it. It also doesn't sound like "one shoe fits all"...
Hello John,

I'm not sure I've understood the problem correctly. But I'll try to clarify a point. I hope it helps.

Once installed, Taiko Router works and will work without any intervention on your part even if you switch it off and on again several times.

If there's a problem, it's probably on the Home Router side.

Here's how it works :

- Your Home Router will assign an IP address to Taiko Router.

- The Taiko Router will assign an IP address to your Exteme Server.

When you switch all your devices off and on again, it is possible that the Taiko Router will be assigned a different IP address from the one it had before.

This should not be a problem. But it may happen that you can no longer "see" your Taiko Router from your home network.

If this is the case it is a problem related to your home network and not to Taiko Router.

The Taiko Router will continue to do its job. This means assigning an IP address to the Extreme Server and providing WiFi access.

When your iPad is connected to your Taiko WiFi you will still be able to control your Taiko Server.

1698928308765.png

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hello John,

I'm not sure I've understood the problem correctly. But I'll try to clarify a point. I hope it helps.

Once installed, Taiko Router works and will work without any intervention on your part even if you switch it off and on again several times.

Here's how it works :

When you switch all your devices off and on again, it is possible that the Taiko Router will be assigned a different IP address from the one it had before.

This should not be a problem. But it may happen that you can no longer "see" your Taiko Router from your home network.

If this is the case it is a problem related to your home network and not to Taiko Router.

The Taiko Router will continue to do its job. This means assigning an IP address to the Extreme Server and providing WiFi access.

When your iPad is connected to your Taiko WiFi you will still be able to control your Taiko Server.

View attachment 119159
Thanks Tom,
This helps me digest what occurs, or how the sequence corresponds/communicates...

Reactions: 2ndLiner

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hello John,

Here's how it works :

View attachment 119162

If you are using the taiko WiFi for all access to your extreme, you probably don't care what IP address the router gets assigned by your home subnet/router.

Where it really matters is if you are using port forwarding for vnc'ing from you home subnet or moving files via samba, both of which are important to me.

Now I will assign a static IP address (on my home ubuiti router) for the taiko router.

Q: without a static IP assignment, does this possible change of IP address impact either roon or qobuz? Enquiring minds......

Reactions: John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing