Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
I had a few issues prompting me to do port forwarding:
1) I use a headphone setup so I’m at my desk when I listen to music. My desktop which I use to control XDMS is below my desk and it couldn’t detect the taiko wifi so I was forced to look at port forwarding

2) I use my computer to control the taiko while still on the internet and I noticed in the past that when I’m connected to taiko wifi I can access the internet; so to avoid accidentally routing my internet calls through the taiko router I’d rather not directly connect to it if I can (I realise this wouldn’t be an issue with a dedicated device eg iPad)

3) the router is literally next to me in my study so I’d rather not have wifi continuously broadcasting for health reasons (maybe not so rational, this one)

Christiaan Punter

Great point Steve !
Yes I always keep my ipad wifi network as a low data mode.
I think Christiaan will add that info to the linked manual.
Additionally I turned the MQA decoding off as it is altering the high frequencies and changes the original content into something that was not aritst intention.
I do indeed add procedures like these but not to the User Manual. They are added to the FAQ document because we only want to include standard / recommended procedures in the manual. Please note that both docs are regularly updated so it is worth checking the Downloads section on the Taiko website from time to time.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
What name should the Taiko Router's Wi-Fi network have, because no new network appears on my iPad nor can I run Roon

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
TaikoAudio

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Here is the battery.

Volessence 50000mAh Laptop Power... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RNZZXRM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

@onlychild

thanks for the recommendation.
this is a nice cost effective way to power my distributor/router/switch while waiting for the BPS.
i bought a pair and use the second one to power my usb to aes/ebu reclocker.

SQ impact: using stax headphones, there was a significant increase in space and air around vocals and instruments, especially on sparsely instrumented tracks where it is really obvious (renbourn--travellers prayer, wexford lullaby, warnes--ballad of the runaway horse, krauss--down to the river). Right now the system is sounding really good, sitting in the next room (one of my standard tests), listening to Van Morrison's Common One.

@onlychild
Do you listen with the battery charger running or do you unplug it while listening?
Something I haven't checked yet is will the selected voltage be stable if there is a power glitch on the a/c? I had a battery a few years ago that would always default to 5v after a power hit.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
TaikoAudio
Thx.
Well then it seems to me that the Taiko Router does not emit Wifi. It doesn't appear on the iPad, nor does any Taiko network appear with the AirPort WiFi network scanning program.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thx.
Well then it seems to me that the Taiko Router does not emit Wifi. It doesn't appear on the iPad, nor does any Taiko network appear with the AirPort WiFi network scanning program.

You should try too connect to the router via a hard-wired connection to see if things look ok. Can you see the back of the router? You should see the Ethernet lights and 2 lights near the antenna.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
You should try too connect to the router via a hard-wired connection to see if things look ok. Can you see the back of the router? You should see the Ethernet lights and 2 lights near the antenna.

i lost rf signal and had to reboot/power cycle the router. the lights are not determinative.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
i lost rf signal and had to reboot/power cycle the router. the lights are not determinative.

Determinative of what? I am first trying to see that the router is powered on and is getting an Ethernet signal from the source.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Solved

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, the router is now working. Just a small problem with XDMS that I hope they will solve for me tomorrow and that is that I can't connect to Qobuz (in Roon I can). But I have two questions for the experts: 1.- Is it normal that, being on the Taiko Wi-Fi network, I can connect to the Internet and, for example, enter WBF? Thinking that it couldn't be done. 2.- I understood that I could access Roon from my ISP Modem Router Wifi network (not XDMS) because I can't get it, it says it can't find the core.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
What was the issue?
Well it's quite embarrassing. I thought it had an internal antenna (something pretty stupid, given the Router's massive copper body). I hadn't even seen the little antenna in the box.

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
Well it's quite embarrassing. I thought it had an internal antenna (something pretty stupid, given the Router's massive copper body). I hadn't even seen the little antenna in the box.
I did exactly the same…

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
@onlychild

thanks for the recommendation.
this is a nice cost effective way to power my distributor/router/switch while waiting for the BPS.
i bought a pair and use the second one to power my usb to aes/ebu reclocker.

SQ impact: using stax headphones, there was a significant increase in space and air around vocals and instruments, especially on sparsely instrumented tracks where it is really obvious (renbourn--travellers prayer, wexford lullaby, warnes--ballad of the runaway horse, krauss--down to the river). Right now the system is sounding really good, sitting in the next room (one of my standard tests), listening to Van Morrison's Common One.

@onlychild
Do you listen with the battery charger running or do you unplug it while listening?
Something I haven't checked yet is will the selected voltage be stable if there is a power glitch on the a/c? I had a battery a few years ago that would always default to 5v after a power hit.
Glad the batteries are working out.

I do not listen with the charger running. I unplug it from the wall and battery end. I find the SMPS of the charger to be noisy.

Reactions: cat6man

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

To add to this, the antenna, connector and internal wiring are fully shielded from the copper chassis and PCB, the SFP cables are fully shielded aswell, combined with the obviously very heavy shielding of the solid copper chassis means there’s no reception without an Antenna.

For those experimenting with disabling Wi-Fi in software, that’s actually unnecessary, simply removing the Antenna accomplishes the same thing, and a much quicker/easier way to perform A/B comparisons.

Christiaan Punter

To all customers who are eagerly awaiting their deliveries

Please accept our sincerest apologies. We realize that we are not living up to the indicated delivery times. Naturally, we are 100% focused on mitigating this, but as it turns out, we are dealt one bad hand after another. In a truly unfortunate series of events, there was a fire in the metal treatment factory, which necessitated us to look elsewhere. The batch delivered by the next supplier contained too many defects, prompting us to look at yet another supplier. This brings us to the current situation where we have been promised a batch by a specific date but have not received it. We have started producing the Black Anodized versions ourselves, which is a lot of work but at least puts us in control, but for the Chrome versions, we remain dependent on third parties. While we understand that these are our problems to solve, please know we are trying our best to get on top of this.

We've increased our CNC milling capacity.

IMG_4147.jpeg

We've started in-house finishing of a batch of cases.

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453_rotated.jpg

We're currently producing the Black Anodized version ourselves (please note this is a pre-production test sample, not the approved final finish)

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

As Emile mentioned:

"We're not too eager to get into the surface finishing part of manufacturing, but the wait times are becoming ridiculous. So, we're running some experiments now; if successful, I would consider purchasing machinery to do this ourselves as well."

To sum up, please know that we are dependent on third parties for the delivery of cases, but we are doing everything in our power to speed up the delivery times. Also, please know that other teams propel other Taiko Audio developments. These projects happen in parallel and are not causing delays.

Changing your order from Chrome to Black

As the delays are affecting only the Chrome version, we offer the possibility of changing your order from Chrome to Black. In that case, we can deliver within 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
To add to this, the antenna, connector and internal wiring are fully shielded from the copper chassis and PCB, the SFP cables are fully shielded aswell, combined with the obviously very heavy shielding of the solid copper chassis means there’s no reception without an Antenna.

For those experimenting with disabling Wi-Fi in software, that’s actually unnecessary, simply removing the Antenna accomplishes the same thing, and a much quicker/easier way to perform A/B comparisons.
does the WIFI chatter inside the router actually stop when you just disconnect the antenna?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
To all customers who are eagerly awaiting their deliveries

Please accept our sincerest apologies. We realize that we are not living up to the indicated delivery times. Naturally, we are 100% focused on mitigating this, but as it turns out, we are dealt one bad hand after another. In a truly unfortunate series of events, there was a fire in the metal treatment factory, which necessitated us to look elsewhere. The batch delivered by the next supplier contained too many defects, prompting us to look at yet another supplier. This brings us to the current situation where we have been promised a batch by a specific date but have not received it. We have started producing the Black Anodized versions ourselves, which is a lot of work but at least puts us in control, but for the Chrome versions, we remain dependent on third parties. While we understand that these are our problems to solve, please know we are trying our best to get on top of this.

We've increased our CNC milling capacity.

View attachment 119065

We've started in-house finishing of a batch of cases.

View attachment 119070

View attachment 119067

We're currently producing the Black Anodized version ourselves (please note this is a pre-production test sample, not the approved final finish)

View attachment 119068

View attachment 119069

As Emile mentioned:

"We're not too eager to get into the surface finishing part of manufacturing, but the wait times are becoming ridiculous. So, we're running some experiments now; if successful, I would consider purchasing machinery to do this ourselves as well."

To sum up, please know that we are dependent on third parties for the delivery of cases, but we are doing everything in our power to speed up the delivery times. Also, please know that other teams propel other Taiko Audio developments. These projects happen in parallel and are not causing delays.

Changing your order from Chrome to Black

As the delays are affecting only the Chrome version, we offer the possibility of changing your order from Chrome to Black. In that case, we can deliver within 1-2 weeks.
If someone changes their order for their router to black from chrome and they have a DCD on order will that ship in black as well? or ????

Christiaan Punter

If someone changes their order for their router to black from chrome and they have a DCD on order will that ship in black as well? or ????
In that case, the DCD will also be delivered in Black.

Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing