Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, CP's post relates to changing the channel over which the wifi broadcasts. Since most people have existing wifi networks in their house it is possible that those networks could be operating over the same channel that the Taiko wifi is operating and thus affect both your home wifi and the Taiko wifi. Therefore, is it preferable to have each wifi network broadcast on a unique frequency, if possible. Thus, if you know that both networks are using the same frequency it is better to change one of them. This is not about keeping it simple. It is about maximizing the performance of all wifi in your house. Hope that makes sense.

In my situation not only do I have a separate wifi network in my house but I can also "see' my neighbor's wifi and that was operating on the same channel as the Taiko wifi so I changed the Taiko wifi.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Steve, CP's post relates to changing the channel over which the wifi broadcasts. Since most people have existing wifi networks in their house it is possible that those networks could be operating over the same channel that the Taiko wifi is operating and thus affect both your home wifi and the Taiko wifi. Therefore, is it preferable to have each wifi network broadcast on a unique frequency, if possible. Thus, if you know that both networks are using the same frequency it is better to change one of them. This is not about keeping it simple. It is about maximizing the performance of all wifi in your house. Hope that makes sense.

In my situation not only do I have a separate wifi network in my house but I can also "see' my neighbor's wifi and that was operating on the same channel as the Taiko wifi so I changed the Taiko wifi.
Thanks for the explanation. I too was wondering what all the port forwarding stuff was all about.

I'll be setting up my router this week. I have my fingers crossed that maybe a wired connection will sound as good (or better) than wifi.

Reactions: DW101

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Thanks David, I understand your consternation and hence your desire to ameliorate the situation. Maybe I got lucky There are certainly at least 6-10 wifi networks that are seen on my home network so perhaps it is an issue for me as well but file transfer is done in my sound room with the method I described. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember when Emile and Ted visited me 4 years ago on their North American tour shortly after I received my Extreme and I was using my lap top with an RJ45 to the satellite router in my sound room. Files were indeed being transferred but Emile suggested using the RJ45 from my laptop into LAN 1 of my Extreme. He suggested this because using my method the transfer rate was limited to my laptop at 100Mps whereas the rate of transfer using LAN1 was 1 Gps. Is this correct or is this just a figment of my imagination?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
There are only 3 devices on my Taiko wifi ....Extreme, iPad and laptop.
Steve, IIRC you have a dedicated, perhaps somewhat isolated audio room, so proximity to others and their bandwidth impact may not be an issue at all, and you are GTG.

That said, and for others, even if you only have your iPad and a laptop on your audio network, neighbors may be on the same channel of wifi as you, which could impact your availability, speed, etc.

For myself, I have dedicated audio-only fiber to the house. All other internet usage is delivered by a different ISP. The audio network has the Extreme server and an iPad for control. I add a laptop only to add files or for server management. When finished, I disconnect the laptop.

That said, when I check my wifi radio on the iPhone, I can see about five other networks. I can't get to them, or they to my network, but depending on what channel they use, they could impact my wifi.

Although you can see those other networks, you need a tool to see what channels they are using. Most of these tools will recommend the best channel for you, and you can add it via the screens Christiaan posted.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks David, I understand your consternation and hence your desire to ameliorate the situation. Maybe I got lucky There are certainly at least 6-10 wifi networks that are seen on my home network so perhaps it is an issue but for me as well but file transfer is done in my sound room with the method I described. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember when Emile and Ted visited me 4 years ago on their North American tour shortly after I received my Extreme and I was using my lap top with an RJ45 to the satellite router in my sound room. Files were indeed being transferred but Emile suggested using the RJ45 from my laptop into LAN 1 of my Extreme. He suggested this because using my method the transfer rate was limited to my laptop at 100Mps whereas the rate of transfer using LAN1 was 1 Gps. Is this correct or is this just a figment of my imagination?

I don’t recall the specifics but it is possible that the transmission rate with your satellite is limited.

Hardwiring into the Taiko router will always be the fastest.

Reactions: Bso

John T

Feb 15, 2022
It never occurred to me or dawned on me that congestion is the culprit hence the need for finding the "right" channels. As I have been following all of this, along with my limitations, I was becoming more and more intimidated. But As David and Mark explain, it makes understanding this much clearer...

Christiaan Punter

Regarding Advanced Router Settings, such as Changing Wi-Fi channels

Although the Router offers many settings and possibilities, we preconfigure it for the most common use cases to keep things as simple as possible.

Naturally, there are always exceptions, and these have been popping up on WBF recently. I fully understand the information in these posts can make the Router seem like a daunting undertaking, but I assure you it is not.

Normally, the Extreme Router's Wi-Fi should work straight out of the box with no need to investigate the signal strength or select different channels. If it does not work, then that is usually due to the non-negotiating nature of SFP ports. This is normally avoided by starting the components in a certain order, and if an issue does arise, this can usually be easily fixed by power-cycling the Switch.

Port forwarding is set up as standard to allow the use of your regular home Wi-Fi to control Roon and to allow streaming to an external Roon Endpoint. For the intended use case, no further settings need to be made.

Only in case of exceptional situations or when more experienced users want to experiment with the Router's more advanced functions will it become necessary to log into the Router and make changes.

My earlier post about changing Wi-Fi channels was intended precisely for that reason. If one lives in an environment that is chock-full of Wi-Fi signals, it may be desirable to check the Router's signal strength and change the Wi-Fi channel.

Regarding the Router Manual

Please also note that the Router Manual will receive ongoing updates as we go along. It is advised to check the Downloads section on the Taiko Audio website for the latest version.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had a connectivity issue initially that was immediately identified and a fix easily found. Since then , like you mine has been totally flawless. Over the past few weeks since the fix was made I have only dropped Taiko wifi once.

Reactions: DW101

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have not had one wi-fi drop or any issue since installation a few weeks ago. Plug/play/enjoy!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are most people still using the 2.4 GHz radio vs 5?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
how are you getting wifi between floors?

I know you are asking Bob but in my house the 2.4 and even 5 GHz wifi signals pass through floors pretty well. Of course, if it is 6 inches of concrete it probably struggles.

Reactions: cat6man

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
how are you getting wifi between floors?
The two listening rooms that are fed by the Extreme/switch/router/dcd are directly on top of each other. Wooden floors (from 1866:) between the two rooms and the Taiko wi-fi works about the same in each room on both floors. I was surprised.

If I go into the room directly next to the room where the Extreme/router are located I cannot pick up Taiko wi-fi. Thick brick walls.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
The two listening rooms that are fed by the Extreme/switch/router/dcd are directly on top of each other. Wooden floors (from 1866:) between the two rooms and the Taiko wi-fi works about the same in each room on both floors. I was surprised.

If I go into the room directly next to the room where the Extreme/router are located I cannot pick up Taiko wi-fi. Thick brick walls.
well done sir!

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
well done sir!
Actually just VERY lucky that the two listening rooms happen to be on top of each other with the wooden flloors vs next to each other!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing