Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I'm with oldmustang with his observations
Keces LPS (12v), Default into both switch and router, Roon(controlling Roon via main wifi, not Taiko wifi)
Everything is just better even with just 24hrs of break-in....

Wondering if it's prudent to assign a static IP address in my Extreme now that Taiko router is installed....

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Keces LPS (12v), Default into both switch and router, Roon(controlling Roon via main wifi, not Taiko wifi)

Wondering if it's prudent to assign a static IP address in my Extreme now that Taiko router is installed....

Can you explain how you are controlling Roon via your main wifi? Did you set up port forwarding?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is configured by default. You should be able to control Roon from your home network.

Hmmm. Whenever I am on my home network wifi and open Roon it cannot find the core.

This time I told it to select another core and it did find the Extreme. Interesting and thanks!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

The router should retain the same DHCP address for the Extreme. You can login to the interface though, scroll to the bottom of the main page and click the “static” button. But again it should keep assigning the same address.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Hmmm. Whenever I am on my home network wifi and open Roon it cannot find the core.

This time I told it to select another core and it did find the Extreme. Interesting and thanks!
Why are some using home WiFi rather than Taiko WiFi? Isn’t part of the idea behind using the Taiko router to be isolated to an audio only network?
Or, (my best guess), I’m misunderstanding networking again…

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Why are some using home WiFi rather than Taiko WiFi? Isn’t part of the idea behind using the Taiko router to be isolated to an audio only network?

That will not actually increase traffic on the audio only network. Only Roon related “traffic” is forwarded through the router.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX

Some of us access our Extremes from all over the house, depending on the use case. Yes, while listening, one is in the audio space, and it is reasonable to have a device connected to the Taiko wifi to select and control the music to listen.

But there are other times we interact with the Extreme that do not relate to actual listening.
1. Adding music files to the Music folder. I tend to store the primary copy of my music on a NAS. I may be sitting at my wired (to the home network) desktop in my study and initiate a transfer, by VNCing to the Extreme and then copying via File Explorer
2. Once files are added, one needs to scan them on XDMS. So I'll fire up the XDMS client on windows, and initiate a scan. If I switch to Roon via the XDMS control app, then I'll fire up the Roon client on my desktop to verify the new files got correctly added in Roon.

Just this simple scenario requires forwarding rules for:
1. VNC
2. SMB (Windows file sharing)
3. XDMS
4. Roon.

It sounds like the router only comes pre-configured for Roon, not use cases 1-3.

Yes. Although automatic discovery for connecting to XDMS is on the to-do list it does not have top priority, so for now it’s IP only in the same subnet.

I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but does this mean XDMS is being de-emphasized in favor of Roon?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
This is configured by default. You should be able to control Roon from your home network.
Indeed, that works very well for me, as well as controlling Roon via the Taiko audio network.

Steve Z

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
No. But feel free to put in a request to prioritise this over gapless or large file playback :)
no I’m happy with that. :cool:

Since many users with the router seem to be returning to Roon, I just wanted you to confirm that the XDMS project as a whole will remain a high priority, because for the rest of us, XDMS is still head and shoulders better than Roon.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Since many users with the router seem to be returning to Roon, I just wanted you to confirm that the XDMS project as a whole will remain a high priority, because for the rest of us, XDMS is still head and shoulders better than Roon.

Absolutely, XDMS is moving ahead with maximum effort!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

agree, please keep gapless as number 2, after NSM.

i think i will experiment myself with the port forwarding.
is there a "save config" option in the router so i can recover if i screw something up?

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
Did you replace your Uptone lps with the DCD wall wart? Why not keep using your lps

I didn’t use the wall wart at all, I originally had an Uptone Js2 feeding i) an uptone ultracap -> Switch and ii) an ldovr voltage regulator -> Router. The JS2 stayed, powering the DCD with Switch & Router connected via default / default filters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing