Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
At Emile’s suggestion I have been using the Wi-Fi Analyzer app in Windows which is great. It recommended I use channel 6 since there was little traffic on that channel. I am still experiencing issues with the wifi but it did help assess what else is out there.
Thank you. I will give it a try.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Choosing the right channel

You can use the Intel® Killer™ Control Center (If you are using an Intel Killer Wireless adapter) or any third-party Wi-Fi Analyzer to determine which channels are least used on each band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and change your Wi-Fi router’s settings accordingly. Here are some tips on which settings to choose:

• On the 2.4 GHz band,which is usually Wireless-N, always choose Channels 1, 11, or 6. Try to pick the emptiest of the three, using the Wi-Fi Analyzer as your guide. Channels other than 1, 11, or 6 will receive more interference. European users can also use Channels 12 and 13 on the 2.4 GHz band. You should treat these the same as Channel 11, as they will interfere with, and receive interference from, Channel 11. Keep in mind that:
    • Channel 1 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 1-5..
    • Channel 6 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 2-10.
    • Channel 11 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 7-11.
Using the information above, you can see why you should always choose channels 1, 11 (or 12/13), or 6. Doing otherwise invites interference from more than one other primary 2.4 GHz wireless channel.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...some tips on,6 will receive more interference.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What can complicate things is that most modern access points automatically change channels when they detect interference. So it can also be an idea to fix the channel on your other Access points. Or disable 2.4G on those as most modern devices would prefer connecting to 5G Wi-Fi as that’s faster.

If none of this works there’s always the option to increase the transmission power on the Taiko router Wi-Fi which is set to the lowest possible setting by default and/or switch it to use 5G Wi-Fi.

The defaults, 2.4G and the lowest transmission power are completely inaudible, but you can play with this and increasing transmission power may not even be audible for you as it will still be low, even at its highest setting.

Just changing the channel should be enough though, try channel 6 or 11, the default is 1. This fixed @Steve Williams ’s connection issue for example with his Orbi interfering on channel 1, changing his channel to 6 has been rock solid since then.

As a very last resort a larger antenna is also an option, but we’ve tested it here with about 2 dozen nearby Wi-Fi networks and have rock solid stability.

Last edited:

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
At Emile’s suggestion I have been using the Wi-Fi Analyzer app in Windows which is great. It recommended I use channel 6 since there was little traffic on that channel. I am still experiencing issues with the wifi but it did help assess what else is out there.
Gave it a try and it recommended Channel 1. It's already on Channel 1. Not sure what else I can do?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Emile

Can you summarize your thoughts on 2g versus 5g bands impact on SQ? I have much less interference in the 5g.
I have decent S/N if I am close enough to the 2g router right now.

Fwiw, my prior loss of WiFi was a complete absence of rf signal, not an interference issue. It occurred immediately after I had repowered the switch via the distributor.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Choosing the right channel

You can use the Intel® Killer™ Control Center (If you are using an Intel Killer Wireless adapter) or any third-party Wi-Fi Analyzer to determine which channels are least used on each band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and change your Wi-Fi router’s settings accordingly. Here are some tips on which settings to choose:

• On the 2.4 GHz band,which is usually Wireless-N, always choose Channels 1, 11, or 6. Try to pick the emptiest of the three, using the Wi-Fi Analyzer as your guide. Channels other than 1, 11, or 6 will receive more interference. European users can also use Channels 12 and 13 on the 2.4 GHz band. You should treat these the same as Channel 11, as they will interfere with, and receive interference from, Channel 11. Keep in mind that:
    • Channel 1 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 1-5..
    • Channel 6 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 2-10.
    • Channel 11 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 7-11.
Using the information above, you can see why you should always choose channels 1, 11 (or 12/13), or 6. Doing otherwise invites interference from more than one other primary 2.4 GHz wireless channel.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058989/wireless/intel-killer-wi-fi-products.html#:~:text=Choosing the right channel&text=Here are some tips on,6 will receive more interference.
What can complicate things is that most modern access points automatically change channels when they detect interference. So it can also be an idea to fix the channel on your other Access points. Or disable 2.4G on those as most modern devices would prefer connecting to 5G Wi-Fi as that’s faster.

If none of this works there’s always the option to increase the transmission power on the Taiko router Wi-Fi which is set to the lowest possible setting by default and/or switch it to use 5G Wi-Fi.

The defaults, 2.4G and the lowest transmission power are completely inaudible, but you can play with this and increasing transmission power may not even be audible for you as it will still be low, even at its highest setting.

Just changing the channel should be enough though, try channel 6 or 11, the default is 1. This fixed @Steve Williams ’s connection issue for example with his Orbi interfering on channel 1, changing his channel to 6 has been rock solid since then.

As a very last resort a larger antenna is also an option, but we’ve tested it here with about 2 dozen nearby Wi-Fi networks and have rock solid stability.
Double pearl today Emile ;). Shows you what I know about this entire thing and congratulations on hitting now greater than 20,000 posts but what is even more monumental that you forgot to mention is that this thread has had well over 3 million views. It always goes best with my morning coffee and breakfast cereal.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Double pearl today Emile ;). Shows you what I know about this entire thing and congratulations on hitting now greater than 20,000 posts but what is even more monumental that you forgot to mention is that this thread has had well over 3 million views. It always goes best with my morning coffee and breakfast cereal.
What do you have for breakfast, Steve W? Cold cereal and audiophiles' tears?

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile

Can you summarize your thoughts on 2g versus 5g bands impact on SQ? I have much less interference in the 5g.
I have decent S/N if I am close enough to the 2g router right now.

Fwiw, my prior loss of WiFi was a complete absence of rf signal, not an interference issue. It occurred immediately after I had repowered the switch via the distributor.
Well 2G has a longer range, passes easier through walls etc. You can just try 5G, who knows, maybe you prefer it. The thing is there are so many variables it’s impossible to predict how it will play out in your unique environment.

I’m hoping for some brave souls to do some exploring and share their experiences. Who knows, maybe we’ll learn something new!

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
Yes you are spot on there, what we’ve been experimenting with and the main reason we designed a “mini” BPS, is that while a BPS provides good “isolation”, it cannot prevent noise from travelling a shared ground plane. Hence we are indeed now in a multi mini BPS scenario, which is superior to a single large BPS.

The overall improvement with the Switch+NIC, Router, and DCD in my system has been phenomenal, and one week+ into Router & DCD you'd have to prise any one of the 3 from my 'cold dead hands' (to borrow a phrase). Still listening via XDMS, default/default

Sadly I have to wait to experiment with Alt1 & Alt2 as I'm now away from my system until December.

Meanwhile, I'm very much looking forward to finding out more about the BPS and then buying it day 1, just based on the clear improvement the DCD gave when I replaced my Uptone ultracap 1.2 with it, and the knowledge multi mini BPS will be better still!

I also can't help but feel that the super-clean, fast, high current delivery from standalone Taiko BPSs would be compelling for other devices too...

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well 2G has a longer range, passes easier through walls etc. You can just try 5G, who knows, maybe you prefer it. The thing is there are so many variables it’s impossible to predict how it will play out in your unique environment.

I’m hoping for some brave souls to do some exploring and share their experiences. Who knows, maybe we’ll learn something new!
2G in my experience and with many obstacles is more stable. At least in my own environment/situation.

Tom

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Um guys, sorry my OCD is kicking in! Point of order on nomenclature please. :p
- 2g through 5g abbreviations are used for generations of cellular networks.
- What you guys are talking about are Wi-fi frequency bands referred to as 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Carry on!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Tomato....tamata....

You get the gist.

Tom

Reactions: cat6man

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Team Taiko, when do you expect to deliver the last distributor/router packages?
Order placed 25.th of May …

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I think they’re at May the 2nd or 3rd. But I’ll let you in on a little secret, being nowadays I’m not personally involved with anything having to do with assembly, order processing or anything involving general company operations. We have a general manager taking care of that and a support team answering customer questions on those matters. If you need information on your order status the way to get that is by contacting support@taikoaudio.com. So I’m actually not completely in the loop on this which in turn allows me to focus on getting our new developments finished and post here :)

Reactions: oldmustang

wil

Jul 22, 2015
The overall improvement with the Switch+NIC, Router, and DCD in my system has been phenomenal, and one week+ into Router & DCD you'd have to prise any one of the 3 from my 'cold dead hands' (to borrow a phrase). Still listening via XDMS, default/default

Sadly I have to wait to experiment with Alt1 & Alt2 as I'm now away from my system until December.

Meanwhile, I'm very much looking forward to finding out more about the BPS and then buying it day 1, just based on the clear improvement the DCD gave when I replaced my Uptone ultracap 1.2 with it,
Did you replace your Uptone lps with the DCD wall wart? Why not keep using your lps?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Um guys, sorry my OCD is kicking in! Point of order on nomenclature please. :p
- 2g through 5g abbreviations are used for generations of cellular networks.
- What you guys are talking about are Wi-fi frequency bands referred to as 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Carry on!
mea culpa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing