Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Not sure if the question ws ever answered but some asked if the burn in on the Router and DCD needed music playing through it or is just having them power on sufficient for burn.In my experience playing music is the great facilitator however I also feel just having them powered on also helps with burn in as my sound each morning is a little less veiled that what it was the night before

They only need to be powered on.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I hear you Steve !
BPS infulence should be a magnitude / summary of all devices connected.
Imagine the much better power quality to :
1 processor
2 RAM memory chips
3 motherboard
4 Optane disc
5 Local memory
6 USB card ( hope fpr a separate rail)
7 network card ( hope for a separate rail)
8 Taiko switch ( separate rail with DCD)
9 Taiko router. ( As above on the same rail)
10 north bridge on motherboard

We have minimum of 10 elements that should benefit from the BPS.
That must be giganic difference in overall SQ presentation.

I am just hoping Emile will find a way to isolate some of those elements from eachother with DC distributor filters . This is based on DCD experience that is very good in everyones opinion.
That filteting could be done for each rail getting out of BPS.
To make it smaller that could be limited to 1 defult filter for each rail.
Am I to crazy to hope for that to happen ?

Not crazy but probably not happening in the way you’re expecting. My apologies for being somewhat cryptic but we will soon be ready to present our new solutions / developments, weeks away now in stead of months.

So how does all of this shake out when or if you go to the BPS? You have your ears now wrapped around what you like, Default, ALT1, AL2, what ever floats your boat. Then you go to BPS and eliminate the Power Distributer. It seems to me then you have total realignment...

Indeed, you can filter noise to very low levels but besides filtering itself and even the components used being audible to a degree, which is the reason for using exotic and expensive components like for example Duelund capacitors, you’re still better of with even lower noise levels and no filters at all. It’s surprising that even noise levels expressed in nanovolts can have considerable effects on our perception of sound quality.

Emile.
I think the „Naked„ DC distributor might be the „Must to have„
to power the network card and usb / tacda cards .
Did you try to use it there ?

As far as I know you need both 5v and 12v to each PCI ex cards ?
That will force to use 2 distributors.

No, moving to battery power for those.

I'll be using an Eero node as my internet source for the router and its private network. Optimally, I'd put my ISPs modem/router into bridge mode so the Eero is the only other network in the house. However, my ISP doesn't support bridge mode and I'll need to run double nat, i.e., two SSIDs in the house where the Eero network would be, in essence, a child of the ISP network. Is that problematic? I'd make the Eero's network private, i.e., the Taiko router would be the only device on the Eero network. Or should I find an option where the Taiko router/gateway is connected to the parent network?

If I’m understanding this correctly I’d say it won’t matter much, the Taiko Router will create it’s own “private” network, whatever happens before is just “the internet”.

Reactions: oldmustang
And, if I use the double nat configuration (with the Taiko gateway I guess triple nat) will it matter if there are other devices connected to the eero network?

No I don’t think that will matter. But with that said, it’s just not possible to predict the effect of every possible setup.

The main point is simply the router creates it’s own exclusive network which is not affected by traffic on the network it connects to.

No I don’t think that will matter. But with that said, it’s just not possible to predict the effect of every possible setup.

The main point is simply the router creates it’s own exclusive network which is not affected by traffic on the network it connects to.
Thank you.

I haven’t spend a lot of time “listening” to the alternative DC ports but what I find interesting is that people are noticing a big sound difference even while playing back local files. The files aren’t passing through the router or switch but there is obviously enough network activity between the Extreme and the internet to make the power filters influential to the sound.

I haven’t spend a lot of time “listening” to the alternative DC ports but what I find interesting is that people are noticing a big sound difference even while playing back local files. The files aren’t passing through the router or switch but there is obviously enough network activity between the Extreme and the internet to make the power filters influential to the sound.
I’ve been playing local files all day and they do sound better but not a huge uptick in my system

I’ve been playing local files all day and they do sound better but not a huge uptick in my system

that is consistent with what i've heard here, not a huge uptick for local WAV files. if it makes a big difference for streaming,
combined with a future narrowing of the flac/wav gap i might even like streaming :)

My biggest disaster today was blowing a tube and a fuse in the left channel of my amp Having back up sets in an all tube system is a must. Was back up and running in 20 minutes. There is nothing so shocking as listening to a beautiful piece of music and then suddenly the sound of your speaker being blown up followed by silence in that channel

Best this happens now rather than when Emile gets here

Reactions: iain and ctydwn

Are you saying that the DC filters do not have much of an effect on local files? That's what I am commenting on. It seems like people are saying they do.

Reactions: Armsan
im saying that they do but in my system its not a big uptick in the sound. Let’s say a pleasant surprise. We are in uncharted waters now as so many variables in play as well as system dependent and personal preference.

what I have noticed today was a little more transparency with XDMS. The veiled sound is almost gone

Hello, I don't buy already the switch and ethernet card, I only improve the USB card for the moment. I own already a SOTM switch, XDMS is clearly more transparent than Roon and it's difficult to go back to Roon. Recently I plug my SOTM clock to the switch and I was really surprise of the clear improvement of Roon in this configuration. And this afternoon it was really pleasant to discover music thanks to Roon algo.
Edward last day explain me that the main difference with Taiko Switch is that you can listen Roon with him. If someone can explain me with simple words how it works because sometimes this forum is for experts and I am not one of them. Right now I have one Sotm psu on my internet box, one on my switch and one for my clock and two ethernet CAT 7 with filters SOTM between box / Switch / extreme and my usb is FTA Sinope. What can add the Taiko switch, and can I use my SOTM PSU for it?
I have a SOtM SPS-500, I emailed SOtM support.
Look on their website, as you are able to order the correct cable that fits the switch and also order a "Y" cable to power two units at the same time.
When you place the order make sure you specify in the comments section that you need the connector:
  • 5.5 external / 2.5mm internal DC connector (11.3mm length)
Also, I ordered the least expensive cable $100 including shipping) as I wanted to make sure it worked, before ordering the more expensive cable.
I emailed them prior to placing the order so they knew what I was trying to accomplish. It worked!

Roon was immediate. I must admit it was a sobering experience going back and forth between Roon and XDMS

Here are 5 songs of the many that I listened to today. if you want to hear the difference between Roon and XDMS that you hear immediately

Flight of the Cosmic Hippo -Bela Fleck

Duende -Black Light Syndrome-the deep bass between 20-33 seconds into the song is well resolved by XDMS but Roon really nails it

Sort of Revolution -Fink-Wheels Turning Beneath My Feet

Liberty- Annete Askvik

Who Killed Cock Robin -Greg Brown

I spent more time today however trying to relearn Roon and negotiate my way around. The A-B-A testing was fun. A reality check to those of you who only play Roon and are awaiting your router and DCD this will light you up.......

But at the end of the day thoughts of NSM and the songs it will play are playing with my imagination because those who have heard it have all confirmed........
Was running XDMS all the time.
saw your posts, switched over to Roon.
It took about an hour to warm up, but WOW, what a difference!

Has anyone found any benefit to restarting the Taiko switch? For some reason my system was sounding a bit off over the last few days. (Perhaps a little bit leaner, smaller sound stage, vocals had a less sharp image). I tried restarting the Extreme, clearing cash on Roon, etc, but nothing worked. On a whim, I decided to restart the switch and that seems to have fixed everything. Is this normal? Is there any reason to have to power cycle the switch every now and again? I think mine was running for over 1 month straight.

Has anyone found any benefit to restarting the Taiko switch? For some reason my system was sounding a bit off over the last few days. (Perhaps a little bit leaner, smaller sound stage, vocals had a less sharp image). I tried restarting the Extreme, clearing cash on Roon, etc, but nothing worked. On a whim, I decided to restart the switch and that seems to have fixed everything. Is this normal? Is there any reason to have to power cycle the switch every now and again? I think mine was running for over 1 month straight.

This is an interesting phenomenon we have discussed before in this thread. It’s also something which is hard to quantify as it’s unmeasurable by conventional means, meaning perhaps we just don’t know what to measure, in high-end audio this is often referred to as a quantum effect, probably because nobody, or at the very least, very few, really fully understands quantum mechanics. You can count me as one who doesn’t understands the mechanics involved, but I’m also not sure this actually has anything to with that either. Bottom line, we don’t really understand what this is, but we know it happens, and we know how to deal with it / address it.

This is not something which has anything to do with the switch itself, other then it having a very large highly conductive mass with its ~15 kilograms of pure copper.

The Extreme itself having a significant conductive mass, including solid copper heatsinks, has a good affinity for this phenomenon as well.

There are large numbers and types of grounding tweaks working on this effect and we used to manufacture one of those in our early years, called the “Setchi”.

What it is, or rather how it’s best described, is some kind of charge buildup, over time it can start affecting sound quality. What it is exactly we don’t know. We do know it accumulates in large conductive masses. There are grounding tweaks creating a high affinity for this, if you use silver for example, it’s more conductive then copper, and this “charge” “likes” to move there. Then there are mechanics to dissipate this charge, batteries for example. Connecting a battery negative pole to a highly conductive mass appears to be able to dissipate this energy. There are a large number of manufacturers using all types of techniques to address this. Electrostatic, electromagnetic, piezoelectric, electronic circuitry and/or “quantum technology” seemingly addressing this.

Powercycling components with large conductive masses once in a while is good practice, but if you have one of those “mysterious” grounding systems this can upset equilibrium aswell.

The good news is that batteries seem to be able to have the highest affinity for this “charge”, can drain it from your system and convert it(?) to useable power or something, and we’re about to introduce those into our products!

Last edited:
Not crazy but probably not happening in the way you’re expecting. My apologies for being somewhat cryptic but we will soon be ready to present our new solutions / developments, weeks away now in stead of months.
So it sounds you might have a different way to isolate themmin a different way .
Cant wait to hear about the new developements you have in mind and in works.

No, moving to battery power for those.
Thank you.
It sounds the new battery you use is extreme low noise.
How many rails you plan to use in BPS ?
Will there a be a separate rail for pci ex cards ?
I am asking as every of thise devices will generate its own noise that might be passed to others .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing