Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
If you'd want to describe why you prefer ALT1 and which power supply you use it would be very useful data for us :)
I now know why you said it’s going to be system dependent.

Originally I used a dark sounding rj45 cable and preferred default default.

Then I swapped to a brighter sounding one and felt default default had lost the rich depth so I might as well do default alt1 (the latter being the switch) because when I tried it at least it gave me more detail.

Finally now I switched to a more neutral one and while default default was good, I felt alt1 default (this time alt1 being on the router) had both depth and edge acuity which I like. But I haven’t tried alt1 on the switch in this combi.

For those who intend to do this experiment, do note that your choice of cables probably matter a lot. I expect most people will probably just use a DAC cable though which has less options so maybe this won’t be an issue.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I dont know what others are hearing, but in my system
from the 1st minute :

A. DC PD is fantastic addition to the switch . it clearly cleans the presentation and picture out of noise.
This is true Also with top power supply ( SJ DC4 ARC6).

B. Taiko router brings space and depth without losing anything from upper detail and gip.
Bass is loose but this is always a case with new devices.

So for those who worry about the amount of gains :
Big improvement in all aspects from the very beginning and zero burn in .

All in Roon so far

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
BTW I noticed when I connected to the Taiko Router with my macbook I could surf the internet, so now I have disconnected the WAN cable from my Taiko Router (I only listen to local files) and am connected by cable to my main router and by wifi to the Taiko Router so I can both surf the net and control my music with the same device at the same time.

Seems to work fine, although not sure if this is the recommended way to go!

PS FWIW I still prefer XDMS over Roon. It seems to have a richer, clearer and more detailed presentation still.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Indeed Xrays does not penetrate copper so it shows as a solid block which can trigger a manual check by customs officials.

Thanks, that likely explains why mine is on hold in Germany. They're probably looking for those gold bars embedded in the copper.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Looking forward today to begin testing the filters. I'm going to start with alt1 in the switch as suggested. I was interested as well reading about alt1 in the roster. There is no right answer as I see it and is system preference and personal preference but as Emile suggested, we should all post our findings here.It'll be interesting to read what people hear and what their preferences are

Reactions: DW101

Steve Williams

PS FWIW I still prefer XDMS over Roon. It seems to have a richer, clearer and more detailed presentation still.
Like you I am a XDMS disciple. I love the sound of XDMS and have never stopped praising it as being superior to Roon. As I found in default mode these past 4 days XDMS sounds wonderful but when compared to Roon , I was gobsmacked. Im not a Roon-ie but to my ears the difference was not subtle. As I said earlier XDMS sounded 2D and Roon sounds 3D. With that said , it is the hope of all us XDMS lovers that NSM appears soon as that will be the next big sonic uptick followed by the BPS.

For now it was a fun day yesterday doing A-B-A testing. Roon won every time o_O

My biggest issue yesterday was relearning how to use Roon.. My final caveat is for those who don't use XDMS and haven't seen it .....I truly find the XDMS platform far more appealing to my eyes and know that once all the bugs are out and it goes Beta (where still much has to be done) it is my hope and understanding that NSM will quickly right the ship

Im going with alt1 for the simple reason that Emile suggested use alt1 if you prefer XDMS and alt2 if you prefer Roon...but as he concluded, it is alll uniquely personal so member feedback will be well received

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
There are several people who have replaced their sotm switch with our switch who posted their feedback in this thread. But it's not easy to find due to the large number of posts.

The switch improves both XDMS and Roon playback quality. The router adds to this to the extend with some initial feedback indicating their preference is now Roon for SQ. This is not bad news for XDMS as we can adjust its code from lessons learned from the hardware development branch, there is an update on its way to significantly boost XDMS SQ again.

You can keep your sotm powersupply and replace your switch with the Taiko Switch / Network card combination.

As for design details, they are outlined in this document you can find in the downloads section of our website:

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/w...tch-Summary-FAQ_v45.x61923.pdf?v=796834e7a283
I replaced a double sotm switch, with both using a $40K Merging clock. The improvement from the Taiko switch was stupendous.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
one more tip.
Router is better than enyone expects.

The congestion is mainly in a new DAC cable and new DC cables !
If you have burned in DAC cable and DC cables you will be much futher with SQ.

I thought it was the capacitors in the DC distributor that need the most burn in.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuantumWave

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Just tried the Alt1 (Router) and Alt2 (Switch) combi. Interesting... (in a good way!)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I thought it was the capacitors in the DC distributor that need the most burn in.

Every electronic part is subject to burn in. Capacitors are the worst though, can really go from bad to good. It’s one of the most annoying aspects of high end audio when you’re designing something.

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Yes. I was thinking the same way and this is probably very true.
But I had many DAC cables and DC cables I was using for last few months.
Tried them and the change was immediate for better.
Hi Kris.. any particular DAC cable that you can recommend besides the one that was shipped with the router?

Reactions: engadin

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Kris.. any particular DAC cable that you can recommend besides the one that was shipped with the router?
Working on it !
Still in testing phase. So far I mainly use the SF DAC cables .
Still prefer the 24 AWG ( longer version) .

Ordered also some top rating DAC cables from other brands but it will take some time before I get them.

MusicTraveler

Mar 1, 2022

tomas329

Nov 7, 2022
Has anyone had a chance to give their impressions of the benefits of a LPS paired with the switch vs the supplied power supply? I just got the switch and noticed a very discernable difference between the supplied 12v cable and my 19v LPS. I read 12v is recommended and to me it definitely seems that way. I was expecting the 19v LPS to be as good or better but it definitely wasn't. I'm curious to know if it's even worth it to buy a 12v power supply vs the included supply. I apologize if this was mentioned before but this thread is becoming difficult to find specifics.

I'd also be interested in the benefits of an LPS with the distributor and router included vs stock.

Thanks all

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
After I passed the 24 hour mark following the router and DC distributor installation I switched the power on the switch from default to Alt1. I prefer default. Alt1 sounds less open on the vocals and instruments, almost like there is a slight noise reduction being applied. I also found the bass to be a little lighter.

One caveat is that I haven’t burned in the alt1 parts yet so that could be part of it. I will let alt1 play for a day and see if my impressions change.

I am using a DIY Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS at 12V.

Steve Williams

After I passed the 24 hour mark following the router and DC distributor installation I switched the power on the switch from default to Alt1. I prefer default. Alt1 sounds less open on the vocals and instruments, almost like there is a slight noise reduction being applied. I also found the bass to be a little lighter.

One caveat is that I haven’t burned in the alt1 parts yet so that could be part of it. I will let alt1 play for a day and see if my impressions change.

I am using a DIY Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS at 12V.
David

you are one day in and trying filters so I have to say your comment might be different a few days from now. I’m 4 days in and my default continues to change. I was going to go to alt1 today but am going to wait until Monday to be satisfied that default is well burned in.

Reactions: Pokey77

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David

you are one day in and trying filters so I have to say your comment might be different a few days from now. I’m 4 days in and my default continues to change. I was going to go to alt1 today but am going to wait until Monday to be satisfied that default is well burned in.

for sure. Noting in the DC distributor is broken in so a fair comparison will take time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing