Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hey Emile,

Looks great! Quick question, are you guys also assembling the DC distributors at the moment? Or are those going to be produced and shipped later? (I just didn’t see any discussion of the finished cases anywhere in the last few pages)

Yes, shipping together!

Christiaan Punter

Is there any news on the XDMS general release? I recall it was awaiting Apple sign off and then there were tweaks underway.
Oh boy, have we ever been working hard at XDMS the last couple of weeks!

It has always seemed already like 24/7, but lately, it seems like we're using more hours than are actually in a day! Kidding aside, our Extreme efforts (pun intended) have resulted in XDMS finally meeting the Streaming Aggregator's demands concerning removing unwanted "Events" traffic. There is more work to do that may hold up accreditation, and we are now focusing on this 110%, but the Events fix is a HUGE step toward achieving accreditation.

At the top of our plate currently, among many others, are the implementation of Scrubbing (seek within a track). This function may seem like a no-brainer as virtually all other apps offer it. Still, because of the processes we use to obtain the very best sound quality, this requires a tricky and elaborate workaround routine that Wilson is currently working on. Then, we will focus on NSM and further improving the Scanner and related options such as metadata verification and automatically fetching artist photos. When we pass these hurdles, we intend to look at Gapless.

We just released Version 71 which includes many fixes which can be read in the Release Notes docs that I always publish on Discord. For those not on Discord, please find the latest doc below.

Attachments

• XDMS Alpha Build 71 Release Notes V2.pdf
    518.6 KB · Views: 39

John T

Feb 15, 2022
@Christiaan Punter: I see the DC Power Distributer will also ship. With the DC Distributer in the configuration I'm assuming it will go as follows (correct me if I'm wrong) LPS>DC Power Distributer>Taiko Switch (DC Cable provided By Taiko) DC Power Distributer>Taiko Router (DC Cable Provided By Taiko). Network Connections: Home Router>Taiko Router/Taiko Switch>Extreme. I'm assuming XDMS Alpha Build 71 fixed the issue of switching between Roon and XDMS? Didn't see that in the notes...

Reactions: MusicFellow

Christiaan Punter

Hi John, indeed, the DC Power Distributors, when ordered, will ship along with the Routers.

The power goes as follows:
LPS --> DC Power Distributor. Then, from the DC Power Distributor to all your devices (Switch and Router) via the provided DC cables.

Network Connection goes indeed as you indicated, as follows:
Home Router --> Taiko Router --> Taiko Switch --> Extreme.

Roon-XDMS switching is indeed fixed, prior to 71, I think it must be there lower in the doc.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi John, indeed, the DC Power Distributors, when ordered, will ship along with the Routers.

The power goes as follows:
LPS --> DC Power Distributor. Then, from the DC Power Distributor to all your devices (Switch and Router) via the provided DC cables.

Network Connection goes indeed as you indicated, as follows:
Home Router --> Taiko Router --> Taiko Switch --> Extreme.

Roon-XDMS switching is indeed fixed, prior to 71, I think it must be there lower in the doc.
Thank You Christiaan: For the home router (I understand we are attempting to remove pollution and isolate) I have a dual rail LPS (JCAT Optimo Duo). I'm sure others also have dual rail. Am I defeating the purpose by powering the WiFi access point/Home Router from the same LPS? Or should that be powered separately?

Christiaan Punter

Thank You Christiaan: For the home router (I understand we are attempting to remove pollution and isolate) I have a dual rail LPS (JCAT Optimo Duo). I'm sure others also have dual rail. Am I defeating the purpose by powering the WiFi access point/Home Router from the same LPS? Or should that be powered separately?
The DC Power Distributor adds internal separation. Nevertheless, it is possible that physically separating the domestic router’s power would still further improve the sound, and maybe Emile can comment on that. But in our tests, the distributor with a single power supply beat the massive double power supply sans distributor, so I am inclined to think diminishing returns.

M27HF

Dec 11, 2019
Oh boy, have we ever been working hard at XDMS the last couple of weeks!

It has always seemed already like 24/7, but lately, it seems like we're using more hours than are actually in a day! Kidding aside, our Extreme efforts (pun intended) have resulted in XDMS finally meeting the Streaming Aggregator's demands concerning removing unwanted "Events" traffic. There is more work to do that may hold up accreditation, and we are now focusing on this 110%, but the Events fix is a HUGE step toward achieving accreditation.

At the top of our plate currently, among many others, are the implementation of Scrubbing (seek within a track). This function may seem like a no-brainer as virtually all other apps offer it. Still, because of the processes we use to obtain the very best sound quality, this requires a tricky and elaborate workaround routine that Wilson is currently working on. Then, we will focus on NSM and further improving the Scanner and related options such as metadata verification and automatically fetching artist photos. When we pass these hurdles, we intend to look at Gapless.

We just released Version 71 which includes many fixes which can be read in the Release Notes docs that I always publish on Discord. For those not on Discord, please find the latest doc below.
Can you please update us on improving/increasing large file playback in XDMS and or NSM and confirm file size capability...thanks!

Christiaan Punter

Can you please update us on improving/increasing large file playback in XDMS and or NSM and confirm file size capability...thanks!
NSM is coming, it is one of the first things on the list. Large file capability is not forgotten but is lower in priority.

Reactions: QuantumWave

Christiaan Punter

What is the initial max file size that will work without issue in NSM ?
As far as I know, NSM does not influence XDMS's ability to play large files.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What is the initial max file size that will work without issue in NSM ?

It sounds like XDMS-NSM will be able to handle 2 GB files.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It seems to me that with the shipment of the routers, XMS acquiring accreditation, NSM coming soon and soon to be followed by the Extreme/BPS, Christmas has indeed arrived early. Truly impressive work by Taiko. The end of the rainbow does have a pot of gold. And when all is said and done, Emile has IIRC 17 more projects under development. It's truly like being a kid in "toy land" at Christmas. I'm stoked

Steve Williams

As far as I know, NSM does not influence XDMS's ability to play large files.
I bring up one last unresolved item as it hasn't been mentioned much lately. Can someone from Taiko give us an update re "gapless" or will that show up with NSM?

Christiaan Punter

I bring upon last unresolved item as it hasn't been mentioned much lately. Can someone from Taiko give us an update re "gapless" or will that show up with NSM?
I mentioned Gapless in my comment further up. It is in the planning... after Scrubbing and NSM. We're not yet dead-set on the order of appearance. It will depend on what we encounter during the development.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
I mentioned Gapless in my comment further up. It is in the planning... after Scrubbing and NSM. We're not yet dead-set on the order of appearance. It will depend on what we encounter during the development.

Personally, I always want SQ improvements on top of the list, so NSM is #1 on my wish list.

But I would put gapless a very close #2, certainly ahead of scrubbing. Scrubbing is nice to have, but gapless is affecting us every single day!

Reactions: fizzletop

Steve Williams

Personally, I always want SQ improvements on top of the list, so NSM is #1 on my wish list.

But I would put gapless a very close #2, certainly ahead of scrubbing. Scrubbing is nice to have, but gapless is affecting us every single day!
NSM followed by Extreme BPS is the 1-2 knockout. According to Emile the two top influencers of SQ. I also think there is a new back end update coming soon

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
The DC Power Distributor adds internal separation. Nevertheless, it is possible that physically separating the domestic router’s power would still further improve the sound, and maybe Emile can comment on that. But in our tests, the distributor with a single power supply beat the massive double power supply sans distributor, so I am inclined to think diminishing returns.
I'm about ready to take the plunge (again) and have a question. My router has only one WAN port which is used to connect to the cable modem. Does the Taiko router use a LAN port on my existing router to connect to its WAN port?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

I am in agreement with @austinpop here. If there is a business reason, or a technical build reason, why scrubbing should come before gapless, I understand the current prioritization. However, based on my understanding of user behavior (and of course my personal preference based on how I listen to music), I would put gapless much higher than scrubbing. In my case, I listen to a lot of live concerts and gaps between tracks is a buzz kill. For those using pggb (not me), which breaks a single large music file into 2gb segments, this must be intolerable since it adds gaps inside of tracks, not just between separate tracks.

I suspect this comes down to local versus streaming, and if streaming is a much higher priority than playing local files, then scrubbing provides a benefit for all streaming users (and maybe they are the majority?).

If there is no compelling business or technical sequencing issue, please consider moving gapless up to the highest priority after NSM.

YMMV

Steve Williams

I am in agreement with @austinpop here. If there is a business reason, or a technical build reason, why scrubbing should come before gapless, I understand the current prioritization. However, based on my understanding of user behavior (and of course my personal preference based on how I listen to music), I would put gapless much higher than scrubbing. In my case, I listen to a lot of live concerts and gaps between tracks is a buzz kill. For those using pggb (not me), which breaks a single large music file into 2gb segments, this must be intolerable since it adds gaps inside of tracks, not just between separate tracks.

I suspect this comes down to local versus streaming, and if streaming is a much higher priority than playing local files, then scrubbing provides a benefit for all streaming users (and maybe they are the majority?).

If there is no compelling business or technical sequencing issue, please consider moving gapless up to the highest priority after NSM.

YMMV
IIRC the decision to implement scrubbing was brought by the higher ups who grant licensure, so even though I agree with gapless, all of us, I bet are anxious to get XDMS out of alpha and that involves scrubbing. Please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption. All of us are anxious to get the things which enrich all of our own listening experiences but none of this will happen without licensure.

Reactions: wil and DW101

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing