Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
I'm also happy to wait for my presale Router.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Reactions: oldmustang

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Prolly easier to hear from people who don't want to wait!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
It looks like we can ship end of July with new PCBs. Wi-Fi would then be integrated into the Router chassis and management interface. The SQ impact of this Wi-Fi solution is virtually undetectable.

A few screenshots of the router interface with
Wi-Fi:

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3642.jpeg

RyanTX

Feb 15, 2023
Japan
Hi Emile,

I have a few quick questions for you:

1) Did you still have those black switches available from that first batch? Was thinking to place an order this today or tomorrow..

2) For the DAC cable, mine will probably work with 3M, but it's quite close. I'm a little hesitant to go for 5M due to the potential impact on sound quality. Would that be perceptible to most people? Also, is the 3M exactly 3...or is it a little generous by 10-15cm etc?

3) Just to confirm on the upcoming router, none of these will be shipped before the WIFI portion is sorted allowing you to use the iPad to control everything wirelessly, right?

Thanks in advance! The Extreme has truly been one of the best upgrades to my system..

Reactions: ctydwn

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
Hi Emile,

1) Did you still have those black switches available from that first batch? Was thinking to place an order this today or tomorrow..

2) For the DAC cable, mine will probably work with 3M, but it's quite close. I'm a little hesitant to go for 5M due to the potential impact on sound quality. Would that be perceptible to most people? Also, is the 3M exactly 3...or is it a little generous by 10-15cm etc?

3) Just to confirm on the upcoming router, none of these will be shipped before the WIFI portion is sorted allowing you to use the iPad to control everything wirelessly, right?

Thanks in advance! The Extreme has truly been one of the best upgrades to my system..
Will pre-sale router wifi work with Android?

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
It looks like we can ship end of July with new PCBs. Wi-Fi would then be integrated into the Router chassis and management interface. The SQ impact of this Wi-Fi solution is virtually undetectable.

Wi-Fi:

View attachment 111908

View attachment 111909

View attachment 111910
With this solution, if I don’t listen to streaming, I can leave the taiko router unplugged from the main one, right? Will there be any benefit (sonically) to that?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile,

1) There are around 5 black switches left unsold of the first(!) batch arriving in 2 weeks. For chrome we’re already awaiting the arrival of the 4th batch in 3 weeks of which there are around 30 left unsold.

2) 3M = 3M , there are some marginal differences between different lengths but not really a qualitative difference, more along the lines of slightly thinner/faster for shorter lengths, slightly fuller/slower for longer lengths, but again, really minor, I can use any length without caring about these differences.

3) Yes, we don’t want to have to support different iterations, there will be just one model. I’ve not heard anybody complaining about the ~4 week delay so we’ll just go for the version with integrated Wi-Fi.

RyanTX

Feb 15, 2023
Japan
1) There are around 5 black switches left unsold of the first(!) batch arriving in 2 weeks. For chrome we’re already awaiting the arrival of the 4th batch in 3 weeks of which there are around 30 left unsold.

2) 3M = 3M , there are some marginal differences between different lengths but not really a qualitative difference, more along the lines of slightly thinner/faster for shorter lengths, slightly fuller/slower for longer lengths, but again, really minor, I can use any length without caring about these differences.

3) Yes, we don’t want to have to support different iterations, there will be just one model. I’ve not heard anybody complaining about the ~4 week delay so we’ll just go for the version with integrated Wi-Fi.
Thanks so much, Emile! Just placed an order though my dealer in Japan for a black switch/NIC card combo...I guess there are now just 4 left :) You should probably receive it tomorrow morning since the Japan distributor is already closed for the day.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
You could but imho it’s not worth the hassle.
Thanks! My preferred method is still port forwarding- will this be offered?

But if I were to connect to it via its own Wifi, since I don't listen to streaming at all, actually the hassle here is completely 0- no need or reason to be connected to main network at all!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

But if I were to connect to it via its own Wifi, since I don't listen to streaming at all, actually the hassle here is completely 0- no need or reason to be connected to main network at all!

Yes that will be offered but it does perform less well then the build in Wi-Fi.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

How do you transfer new files to your Extreme or perform any upgrades to XDMS?

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
How do you transfer new files to your Extreme or perform any upgrades to XDMS?
New files- wifi.

Upgrades, when and if they come- I’ll just reconnect again. The router is within arms length from my sitting position!

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

Wi-Fi:

View attachment 111908

View attachment 111909

View attachment 111910

Hi Emile
Did you try to „play” with different settings ?
Some have very deep effect on the final result. QOS, Latency, priority….
To my ears on the Dream Machine pro router the less functions ON the better SQ.
also the security I had to keep on the lowest level to get best effect.
I turned build in switch off and use the 2 SFPs only + one dedicated WAN.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing