Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I tried to put an RJ45 module on the old card and on the new one, in both cases the module "bumps" against the wide pillars and cannot be inserted all the way.

The RJ45 modules are supposed to plug into the switch, there’s no benefit to using them with either of the PCIe SFP cards.

Christiaan Punter

Is the downloaded music FLAC or WAV?
Qobuz allows the download of all popular formats: WAV, FLAC, mp3, and others. You can even download all of them for the same price. Which I did for a range of albums, for comparison purposes:)

Christiaan Punter

There is only one downside to the continually improving sound produced by the Extreme: poor recordings sound worse. I have deleted some files after realizing how bad the recording/mastering is.
Yeah, it's the same with the rest of the system, the purer and better it gets, the more you hear the quality of the source. The upside is that great recordings also sound even greater! Still, every time I heard improvements in transparency and when this laid bare some deficiences elsewhere, I never wanted to return to a former friendlier sound. So long as the sound does not become lifeless, uber-controlled, or sterile. But Emile would never let that happen:)

Christiaan Punter

The RJ45 modules are supposed to plug into the switch, there’s no benefit to using them with either of the PCIe SFP cards.
If need be, after untightening the internal screw on the top, the PCI slot brackets have some play and can be moved a little bit over to the other side to make more room for wide connectors. This can also come in handy for the USB card when it is used with oversized connectors.

Christiaan Punter

Certainly we all vary according to how important certain attributes of our systems are to us, and how they affect our enjoyment of music. And that's fair -- it is (or should be) as much about "my fi" as it is about hi-fi.

I personally don't find the gap between streaming from Qobuz and playing local files so great that I would willingly cut myself off from the world of music that exists out there not in my local storage.

As Christiaan suggests, I do purchase and download music that really touches my soul, but I do it more because streaming services can and do drop content for a variety of reasons and not because I find I have objections about streaming sound quality.

Perhaps if all I had was a choice between Tidal and local files I might feel differently. I do have a preference for Qobuz over Tidal in terms of sound quality, but that may be more because more and more content on Tidal is MQA-processed -- much of which sounds "off" in some way to me -- and not because of streaming in and of itself.

As always, your mileage may vary -- and it should.

Steve Z
Hi Steve, I purchase music for the same reason:) Yes, it sounds better local than streaming, but not by so much that streaming music bothers me. I mainly just worry that we may not always have an internet connection, indeed, content is not always available, or that, heaven forbid, one day, Qobuz might be out of business.

Reactions: oldmustang

Christiaan Punter

I have no clue why some user have no issue, there may be differences in NIC chip power draw, ambient temp, air flow, network load, etc etc...
Also not sure if the Extreme needs a reboot to reconnect the network, my server does require it once the NIC card has cooled down.
According to Emile, it is purely heat-related. Some rooms have lower temperatures (AC), better ventilation around the Extreme, etc.

Reactions: oldmustang

Christiaan Punter

That does lead to an interesting question: if you control playback some other way (eg USB connected iPad) would it maximize SQ for local file playback? That is, shut down all network connections altogether.
Good question:) This is easily tested by starting the music and removing the network cable. Roon and XDMS will simply keep playing. I tried this on several occasions, and indeed, it makes a difference. But then, everything you connect injects a certain sonic imprint on the sound. Every cable sounds different, and so do ethernet filters, even small HF separation transformers, most of which in my system do more to impair the sound than to benefit it, but as always, YMMV.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Christiaan Punter

Thx and I sort of remember Emile talking about it, but was not going to go digging through the thread looking for it. I DO believe since the insertion of the Switch made the file playback sound better, I think significantly, but then I thought wait a minute the switch isn't involved, BUT as you say IT IS INVOLVED, even if not streaming....thx again.
From the Network Card and Switch summary doc (added below):

In a Nutshell

The Switch / network card combo reduces noise by offloading (moving) processing from the Extreme music server to the Switch.

The Router reduces noise by controlling the actual DATA on the network leading to another significant lowering of noise.

Attachments

• Taiko Network Card & Switch Summary_v21.pdf
    882.6 KB · Views: 17

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I was simply trying to determine if the not working issue was due to the Switch or it could be the old network card. I wanted to directly connect the Router to the Network card via Ethernet and see if the connection was made.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I was simply trying to determine if the not working issue was due to the Switch or it could be the old network card. I wanted to directly connect the Router to the Network card via Ethernet and see if the connection was made.
It's definitely heat related (assuming the network card bracket is not bent and the card is correctly seated).
With the Extreme lid off or a fan, there is no issue.
I'm going to make more holes in the card bracket later today and see if it will work with the lid on and no fan ;)

Reactions: MarcelNL

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
It's definitely heat related (assuming the network card bracket is not bent and the card is correctly seated).
With the Extreme lid off or a fan, there is no issue.
I'm going to make more holes in the card bracket later today and see if it will work with the lid on and no fan ;)
It wasn't the new Network Card, which I was trying to find out if it really didn't work.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
This hand drilled bracket fixes it too, but it should work fine without..

View attachment 106412
Dear Emile, I suspect that most orders of the BPS will be keeping the existing Taiko Extreme enclosure, being the least expensive option. Since you mentioned it will be quite packed inside because of the bateries, it will likely decrease air circulation. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it standard for Taiko to send the network (and other card) brackets full of ventilation holes like the one above, to increase air circulation.

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
Has everyone received there new bracket? I have not seen a notification and I wanted to make sure I was going receive one before I got my drill press warmed up. :)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi @RichardA — not everyone, not yet.

BTW, here’s how I did it. I will redo it on the second bracket later today with the Neiko 02612A Hand Held Power Punch. (Big thank you to @theaudiogeek for the suggestion!).

Yesterday I made a jig/holder using the two wood blocks that ship with the new bracket. I used a Dremel on max speed, first with a small bit to make an indent, then with a larger bit. I drilled from the inside of the bracket, so that any raised part of the bracket from the holes is on the outside and won’t affect how the board sits.
Don’t forget eye protection and to deburr the holes after.

I did not make sufficient holes (as Emile noted), so I will add more or just redo it with the second bracket later today.

I think it makes sense overall, more airflow can’t hurt, even if it’s not necessary with the new firmware update.

Attachments

• C2E5AB6A-B4FC-416E-AD88-5C545417AE60.jpeg
    C2E5AB6A-B4FC-416E-AD88-5C545417AE60.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: theaudiogeek

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Has everyone received there new bracket? I have not seen a notification and I wanted to make sure I was going receive one before I got my drill press warmed up. :)
My replacement shipment is on the way. Should have it early next week. Wondering what size the hole should be? 5/32" or 3/16" ?

Reactions: grandsoir

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Dear Emile, I suspect that most orders of the BPS will be keeping the existing Taiko Extreme enclosure, being the least expensive option. Since you mentioned it will be quite packed inside because of the bateries, it will likely decrease air circulation. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it standard for Taiko to send the network (and other card) brackets full of ventilation holes like the one above, to increase air circulation.

The BPS Extreme actually runs cooler.

Please note there is NO temperature problem, the Extreme runs cool for a server. The only problem is the network card shutting down at very low temperatures, and it’s “just a bug / setting”. It is the same controller as the one located on the motherboard which has never shut down in any Extreme we have shipped over the past 4.5 years, and that one actually runs hotter…

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Emile, would love to understand if I’m just hearing things or if the Network card does reduce network noise:
Emile, is it possible that the Network card (and Switch) are reducing outgoing noise to other devices on the network? I could swear that since installing the new Network card my Apple TV “X” is streaming with more audio clarity. It’s connected to the same Eero 6E satellite that’s connected to the Switch.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It’s not your imagination running wild :)
Great! Thanks for confirming. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time ;)

This is an amazing ancillary benefit. I am already definitely buying the Router as well; but to have the Network Card + Switch improve ancillary device streaming (I suppose when connected to the same upstream switch) is fantastic.
(Note that the Apple TV “X” is already heavily modified to reduce noise, and the inventor is an Extreme owner.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing