Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
If you convert an original Extreme to a 2 box battery one do you plan to leave the original case as is, remove the current PS and have a 2nd box with the battery? (Thanks @nenon ).

There are several options, keep your current extreme chassis and add the external BPS, there will be some chassis options for that. If you‘d like to have a dual matching Extreme chassis that will be very costly, a dual alternative chassis is an option too and that will be cheaper, then the BPS could just be in a different chassis.

Azjya

Jan 8, 2022
I’m a little disappointed in the comms around this, and indeed the strategy too. I have an Extreme on order and am starting to wonder if I’ve made a mistake. Much play has been made about the extravagant power supply arrangements in the Extreme, with costly bespoke parts:

Our 400W linear power supply is a new inhouse development, especially created for the Extreme and its special needs. It is comprised of only the very best capacitors from Mundorf and Duelund, combined in a way we found to be most neutral to the sound. The chokes are supplied from Lundahl and were selected also by ear.

Extensive vibrational measures have been applied to make it as resiliant as possible. Again Panzerholz was used in strategic places to shift the vibration patterns in benign territory. The whole design is built for low temperature, long life and above all best sound quality…

Yet it seems that a pending (‘ultimate’?) upgrade option will be to remove this internal AC power supply, which would be replaced by an internal DC supply board and an external battery supply in a second chassis. The unstated implication is that the Extreme’s extravagant expensive AC power supply would be discarded in this scenario - unless there is a part of this strategy which has not been revealed (in which case, see my first phrase above). This seems wasteful of materials and resource. It also means that a significant part of the cost of an Extreme already purchased - and those soon to be delivered - would written off. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I’m a little disappointed in the comms around this, and indeed the strategy too. I have an Extreme on order and am starting to wonder if I’ve made a mistake. Much play has been made about the extravagant power supply arrangements in the Extreme, with costly bespoke parts:

Our 400W linear power supply is a new inhouse development, especially created for the Extreme and its special needs. It is comprised of only the very best capacitors from Mundorf and Duelund, combined in a way we found to be most neutral to the sound. The chokes are supplied from Lundahl and were selected also by ear.

Extensive vibrational measures have been applied to make it as resiliant as possible. Again Panzerholz was used in strategic places to shift the vibration patterns in benign territory. The whole design is built for low temperature, long life and above all best sound quality…

Yet it seems that a pending (‘ultimate’?) upgrade option will be to remove this internal AC power supply, which would be replaced by an internal DC supply board and an external battery supply in a second chassis. The unstated implication is that the Extreme’s extravagant expensive AC power supply would be discarded in this scenario - unless there is a part of this strategy which has not been revealed (in which case, see my first phrase above). This seems wasteful of materials and resource. It also means that a significant part of the cost of an Extreme already purchased - and those soon to be delivered - would written off. Hmmm.

You will not lose any money should you want to move to using a battery powersupply. The upgrade cost will match the retail differential. This is the first more incisive / mayor upgrade we have developed since the Extreme launched 3.5 years ago. Again you don’t „need“ it, it’s fully optional should you want to run off battery power, and it‘s rather expensive, we don’t have final pricing yet but it may cost as much as the Extreme itself turning it into something which would not be standard.

I hope that makes it clear that this does not obsoletes the Extreme. It is here to stay as it is right now with the exception of an inevitable increase in retail.

Last edited:

Azjya

Jan 8, 2022
Thanks, yes, the upgrade cost strategy has already been outlined. But can you throw light on what would happen to the AC supply, with its precious bespoke componentry, removed from the Extreme - can it / will it be repurposed by Taiko?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks, yes, the upgrade cost strategy has already been outlined. But can you throw light on what would happen to the AC supply removed from the Extreme with its bespoke componentry - can it / will it be repurposed by Taiko?
Yes we will take that back with the exception of the most expensive parts which will be reused.

Azjya

Jan 8, 2022
Ok - thank you for the clarification, hopefully very little - if any - would end up in landfill.

I suspect that I am not the only owner / pending-owner / prospective owner who was expecting a reveal of the previously-discussed Ethernet card / switch / router at Munich rather than something else. That is not a problem, of course. I would make the observation, though, that sitting on this ‘reveal’ for a little longer until a more complete set of details could be provided (including photos of the new chassis options, details of what happens to the AC supplies once removed etc) might have been a better approach. I suppose that there is always pressure to have something ‘new’ to talk about at the Show and perhaps this influenced the somewhat opaque and piecemeal approach actually taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: simorag

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
imho, as an Extreme owner/follower these past 3 years, I have full faith in Taiko’s product development, pricing strategy, sustainability approach and above all taking care of its loyal customer base.

As Emile has said, roadmap forthcoming. And opining on pricing without even knowing the sonic benefits, or the final pricing, seems a bit premature. I can only imagine the understated sq benefits thus far. Not to mention the technology involved in this second chassis and industry hifi pricing trends at large given the obvious challenges.

For me at least, I wait patiently (ha try to), enjoying what the Extreme continues to deliver in SQ and any future offerings will be gravy. I sure do not regret one dime on the price of the Extreme, nor the updated subsequent driver, and of course the free TAS software soon to be XDMS.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
imho, as an Extreme owner/follower these past 3 years, I have full faith in Taiko’s product development, pricing strategy, sustainability approach and above all taking care of its loyal customer base. As Emile has said, roadmap forthcoming. For me at least, I wait patiently (ha try to), enjoying what the Extreme continues to deliver in SQ and any future offerings will be gravy.
I’m all in

Reactions: ctydwn

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I think you guys can design a PSU to have the same foot print as the extreme. So the current extreme user can place it over the new PSU. Similar to MSB You can also leave 4 holes in the PSU chassis so the extreme can directly couple to the HiFI rack with those CM2 footer users.
View attachment 93170
It will be quite a high stack if they are placed one on the other. I fear most racks won't have enough space?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
$30K for a BPS to power the Extreme is a bit much, IMHO.

I have heard what the protype BPS power supply does to push down the noise floor, and the consequent elevation of the quality of the sonic presentation to a new level, it is simply a must implement technology for Taiko.

To do this properly has required the engineering of modules using the same playbook which has been used for the USB card, Network card and Switch

The development process and manufacturing is not inexpensive, but wow does it deliver clearly audible advances to the goals of realism, goose bumps and musical enjoyment

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
I have heard the BlockAudio pre SE with its dual battery power supply. I was blown away hearing not what it does but what it did not do to the music...A noise floor so dramatically lower than anything I've ever experienced.
This truly is a must for Taiko.

We make plans and god laughs....

Best to all
Marc

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
I think you guys can design a PSU to have the same foot print as the extreme. So the current extreme user can place it over the new PSU. Similar to MSB You can also leave 4 holes in the PSU chassis so the extreme can directly couple to the HiFI rack with those CM2 footer users.
View attachment 93170
Or have CM to design a footer that incorporates into your PSU

The question I have on this is - do CM2 footers (or any other footers) make a positive difference on a pure DC power supply? It's one thing when there is AC and completely different when it's all DC. It may or may not. I don't know...

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I was under the impression that Munich would be the reveal of XDMS as well as the switch. It appears the BPS was the focus of Taiko's new products. Can we get a more granular estimate of when XDMS and the switch (and/or other products) will be commercialized? Gotta start saving those pennies now to plan accordingly.....

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Theoretically, stacking components is not preferred. That’s a packaging compromise. Think social distancing.

Footers, regardless of their damping ratio, mass coupling ability, or energy dissipation characteristics, work in both directions - limiting self noise from polluting the external environment, or external from entering the component. Effectiveness is dependent on the specific situation. Where is the driving function located? If the BPS is absent of transformers and other AC handling components which vibrate at the driving frequency, a footer will still help to quell external contamination. But if the internal components are suitably damped already, the returns are diminishing.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing