Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's good to see that I'm not the only one who felt this way about TAS. When I went back to Roon I couldn't remember how to use it as it had been over 2 years since I had. I got sucked in by that user platform. Then when I went back to TAS I can't even think of anything now except XDMS and I do agree with the comment that Roon could care less about SQ whereas Emile and his team, that is top of his list so count me once again a believer in TAS

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
@Emile and Taiko team

Since the OS update and with XDMS around the corner, I went back to using Roon after an over 2 year use of TAS. There is no question in my mind that it is the sexy platform of Roon that keeps users glued and always complaining about Roon updates effects on SQ

Well a few days ago I just had to go back to TAS and man was I astonished. IMHO, TAS even after the OS update which created an uptick to Roon continues to perform as good "or better" than Roon

Im sticking with TAS once again until XDMS is released. It sure lacks the interface of Roon but my bet is XDMS will not only equal Roon but will leave Roon in its rear view mirror

April showers, will bring May flowers.......and XDMS :p
+1

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
Apologies for going off topic, but previously there were thoughts around producing a Taiko Case for the DIY community. Is that project still active and if so, when could one expect them to be available? Thanks.

I just posted some photos (and a video) here:

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
Any chance that we could get the chassis without the heatsinks? I’m 99% sure I would not need it as I’ll be using liquid cooling with external radiators/fans.

Why do you need the Taiko DIY chassis in this case? The main thing that sets the Taiko DIY chassis apart from others is the passive cooling for dual socket FCLGA3647 CPUs. If you don't need the passive cooling, you can use many other chassis.

(sorry about the offtopic posts)

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It's good to see that I'm not the only one who felt this way about TAS. When I went back to Roon I couldn't remember how to use it as it had been over 2 years since I had. I got sucked in by that user platform. Then when I went back to TAS I can't even think of anything now except XDMS and I do agree with the comment that Roon could care less about SQ whereas Emile and his team, that is top of his list so count me once again a believer in TAS
It is mostly about the SQ or was there something else that motivated you to go back to TAS?

Steve Williams

It is mostly about the SQ or was there something else that motivated you to go back to TAS?
Sound quality is what took me back to TAS. Plus we all know XDMS will be better than Roon

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Steve Williams

I have zero insider knowledge of XDMS but today I had opportunity to chat with Edward and the topic of XDMS was raised by me. Edward told me that XDMS has been completely rewritten by Wilson such that there is now version 2.0 of XDMS. Edward's comments to me made me drool as he was telling that he had an epiphany when he heard it a few days ago. There is no doubt in my mind that come May, Roon will be a relic, certainly for me at least

Christiaan Punter

Is it a good idea to clean the USB contacts with contact cleaner before connecting?
Keeping your contacts clean is always a good idea. A cotton swab and/or a piece of a demake'up pad go a long way. Contact cleaners usually lead to an audible smoothing/polishing effect, which some like, and some don't. At least, this is the case in the analog domain, but by extension, (digital being transferred as analog signals), usually also in the digital domain. Technically, it couldn't harm the system, as long as you make sure to let the connectors dry well.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Keeping your contacts clean is always a good idea. A cotton swab and/or a piece of a demake'up pad go a long way. Contact cleaners usually lead to an audible smoothing/polishing effect, which some like, and some don't. At least, this is the case in the analog domain, but by extension, (digital being transferred as analog signals), usually also in the digital domain. Technically, it couldn't harm the system, as long as you make sure to let the connectors dry well.
Thanks! I have Kontakt cleaner which I will try on my usb connectors when my Extreme arrives.

Reactions: oldmustang

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks! I have Kontakt cleaner which I will try on my usb connectors when my Extreme arrives.
Kontakt is good stuff. I use the tiniest dab of Caig Laboratories’ ProGold. The idea is to use any cleaner/preservative VERY sparingly and to buff off the residue once it has had time to remove any oxidation. The surfaces should appear to be dry but a very thin layer will still be there. Resist the urge to ”preserve” the contacts by leaving a heavy layer — it is counter-productive.

We used Caig Laboratories products in the Navy for cleaning and preserving contacts, Amphenol connector pins and plugs and all manner of electrical contact points for our electronic systems and even in the harsh salt environment it worked great.

No financial interest, but credit where credit is due.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Received my "Signature Edition" today. Thanks Emile and Ed for helping with the setup! Out of the box it sounds awesome! View attachment 90775
Beautiful!

I wish I had thought of asking Emile to sign my Extreme when I ordered it two years ago, but I totally spaced it out. I envy you guys who had the foresight to order the “Signature Edition”

Hey, Emile — is it too late to get your autograph? Any old scrap of paper will do. If you happen to have a blank bank draft that would work. I can fill out the rest!

Steve Z

Steve Williams

Received my "Signature Edition" today. Thanks Emile and Ed for helping with the setup! Out of the box it sounds awesome! View attachment 90775
Great move. I should have as well. FWIW though Lukasz laser engraved his signature to me on my Horizon s/n 001
Collector’s items indeed

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Beautiful!

I wish I had thought of asking Emile to sign my Extreme when I ordered it two years ago, but I totally spaced it out. I envy you guys who had the foresight to order the “Signature Edition”

Hey, Emile — is it too late to get your autograph? Any old scrap of paper will do. If you happen to have a blank bank draft that would work. I can fill out the rest!

Steve Z
Sounds like a well-thought-out plan!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve Williams is right (and when is he not?) — I switched back to TAS after having used Roon the since the Taiko OS tweaks and new Taiko USB driver roll out. While listening to Roon is much improved since Emile’s last round of upgrades, TAS is notably better sounding. It took me all of 10 seconds of the first track, if that to come to that conclusion and nothing I’ve heard via TAS since then has changed my opinion.

TAS is is just fuller, more dimensional, more present and most importantly, much more emotionally involving.

Man, I can’t wait for XDMS!

Steve W., you’re a genius. But then, most Steves tend to be just a little smarter and better looking than average. . .

Thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing