Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
The latest version of Roon has a bug that appears during the import process. Here is the documentation:

“Importing causes one track to appear in another album of the same name. The album with the rest of the tracks contains duplicated track names (indented).”

Importing local album bug (from B911) -split tracks [Ticket in, fix pending]

The short-term fix:

“You can try to Edit the albums. Long click on one of the albums to select it, then select the other one, then click the three dots and select Edit. If you are lucky Merge Albums will fix it.”

It can be a pain to patch things up. I would advise waiting to import new music until after an update fixes the issue.

Last edited:

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
so you don’t see the cable but rather a 42’ conduit.

there is no way that would ever happen in my house. My router is on the first floor My sound system is on the second floor. I stream wireless from my router to a satellite in my sound room and I wire Ethernet from the satellite to the Extreme. Sounds damn good.
I would buy a cheap long cable and try to connect it by wire.
Please remember to disconnected all wifi functions.
Wifi , especially 5ghz can be extreme destructive to the sound.

Currently I play by wireing everything. My ipad / Samsung phone are also connected by wire not via wifi.
You need to buy a network card for each.

It is less convenient with wires around but is a way better SQ than with wifi on.

Reactions: Armsan

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Also if your wife prefers no wires you can ask network experts or ISP to run an ethernet cable for you.
They know how to run it between the floors with no demage.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I would buy a cheap long cable and try to connect it by wire.
Please remember to disconnected all wifi functions.
Wifi , especially 5ghz can be extreme destructive to the sound.

Currently I play by wireing everything. My ipad / Samsung phone are also connected by wire not via wifi.
You need to buy a network card for each.

It is less convenient with wires around but is a way better SQ than with wifi on.
Kris, network cards? Who supplies the IP address to the iPAD? Do you do a bridge between LAN ports?
I can do it but, connecting the iPAD to a switch. Thanks.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Is the XDMS already available?

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Is the XDMS already available?
Not yet Shawn. A little more patience that’s we all need, because it will be fantastic!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Armsan, I see you have the A-250's they were on my short list before going with Mephisto. They must sound amazing!

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Armsan, I see you have the A-250's they were on my short list before going with Mephisto. They must sound amazing!
Yes John, they do but, you did even a better choice.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Appreciate that Armsan, getting close to ordering Taiko. I want to wait until the new Ethernet Card is available, dial it in and call it a day. Emile told me end of May. Should place the order by the end of the month. I'm hoping my M12 Gold switch and JCAT cables integrates properly with the Extreme.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Reactions: simorag

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Reactions: simorag

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I have compiled some post upgrade statistics:

First of all, feedback is limited to about 70% of upgrades applied so far as not everybody gives us feedback, normalizing that 70% to 100% gives:

Audiophile switch provides a significant uptick: 3%
Audiophile switch provides a small uptick: 12%
Cheap switch provides an uptick: 71%
Out of that 71%: Cheap switch replaced an Audiophile switch resulting in better sound: 60% (48% of all deployments)
Also out of that 71%: Audiophile switch severly degraded sound quality 38% (27% of all deployments)
Prefer the sound router direct to server: 14%
Unshielded cat5 or 6 cable sounds better then a shielded audiophile cable: 94%
Fiber sounds better then copper: 0%

A few more send in feedback after this post, updated numbers, format adjusted for clarity:

Audiophile switch preferred by a large degree: 4%
Audiophile switch preferred by a small degree: 12%
"Cheap" standard switch preferred over an audiophile switch: 44%
"Cheap" standard switch preferred over direct connection to router (did not try an audiophile switch): 28%
Direct connection to router preferred: 12%
Unshielded cat5 or 6 cable preferred over "shielded?" audiophile cable: 94%
Copper preferred over fiber: 100%

Christiaan Punter

The latest version of Roon has a bug that appears during the import process. Here is the documentation:

“Importing causes one track to appear in another album of the same name. The album with the rest of the tracks contains duplicated track names (indented).”

Importing local album bug (from B911) -split tracks [Ticket in, fix pending]

The short-term fix:

“You can try to Edit the albums. Long click on one of the albums to select it, then select the other one, then click the three dots and select Edit. If you are lucky Merge Albums will fix it.”

It can be a pain to patch things up. I would advise waiting to import new music until after an update fixes the issue.
I currently have no Extreme to test with but this also happens with the Grimm Mu1 now and then. Not sure if it is the same issue as yours but what fixes it for me is a simple restart of the server.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I am dealing with this same issue with ROON on my demo Antipodes K-50. Seems obvious this is a ROON issue.

Christiaan Punter

I am dealing with this same issue with ROON on my demo Antipodes K-50. Seems obvious this is a ROON issue.
Oh, it's absolutely a Roon issue:) A library issue like this happens now and then (on the Grimm and the Antipodes servers alike) and I'm just leaving some room that it's not necessarily always associated with the same problem. In any case, a server restart or even only a restart of the Roon component, can often fix it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing