Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Emile, are we to infer from your comments that you think Roon will sound better than TAS with this update?
David

the question should be “ will XDMS sound better than Roon. TAS is beta and going away

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hi Steve,

We are really happy that you like the look of XDMS 2.0

It's the work of Andy Davey of TKO Design. Here is a link to the TKO Design Web Site

Andy has been an absolute revelation for us to work with. The depth of the research he does, and then his Teams's iterative design process.

The relentless advance of each design step, results in Andy and his team delivering beautiful and functional products.
Kudos to Andy then, too. But don't forget to pat yourself on the back Ed. Project managers need love too!

Beautiful, beautiful design work!

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Now the question with XDMS on the horizon -- will there be a way to import favorites and playlists from TAS and Roon into XDMS? Over the long period I've been using TAS I've marked a lot of albums and tracks as favorites. . .

Yes.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
With respect to browsing in XDMS, will there be a favorites option so it is easy to get to your favorite artists?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I fully expect that to be the case!
TAS has served us well but it is time now to retire her and to bring out the big boy XDMS. That became blatantly apparent yesterday with the OS install

Reactions: Taiko Audio

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
It looks like we can start rolling out the update start of next week.
Sorry Emile but it was not clear to me. What will be updated next week is the OS (100%) only, or will the USB driver also be updated?

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
My both extremes are updated. Will listen after dinner. So excited!!!!!!!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hi Steve,

We are really happy that you like the look of XDMS 2.0

It's the work of Andy Davey of TKO Design. Here is a link to the TKO Design Web Site

Andy has been an absolute revelation for us to work with. The depth of the research he does, and then his Teams's iterative design process.

The relentless advance of each design step, results in Andy and his team delivering beautiful and functional products.
Yes, first glance the GUI looks very, very clean and intuitive. I did some work 20 years ago on a GUI for a music player, so I greatly appreciate a clean, uncluttered, and intuitive interface—is no easy task because intuitive for some is not-so-much for others. I saw what can happen if the geeks start doing GUI work—you end up with 5 extra steps to do a single task. Geek-intuitive is not the same as layman-intuitive!

Fortunately there have been many attempts to solve this so there are at least many examples to draw from. Having GUI professionals develop the interface and letting the geeks do the coding is essential.

I am extremely eager to enjoy the new XDMS — I have only had my Extreme for a couple weeks and have not tried TAS because these new OS improvements have been cooking and if it makes Roon sound great I can wait for XDMS.

Bravo Taiko!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
(importing favorites and playlists)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Steve Z
In XDMS you will be able to import Roon Playlists which have been exported, import TAS Playlists which are in m3u format, import Qobuz playlists and favorites and import Tidal favorites and playlists

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well I do prefer Roon myself. YMMV. Then again still working on TAS right now.

So you will be able to upgrade the Extreme's of people who are just using Roon and do not have TAS?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
In XDMS you will be able to import Roon Playlists which have been exported, import TAS Playlists which are in m3u format, import Qobuz playlists and favorites and import Tidal favorites and playlists
Thank you Ed.

Steve Z

alwayslearning

Jan 13, 2011
I am very grateful for the ability to import Roon playlists. Also, while I can't speak for others, I would be happy to just play Roon (and have TAS removed) until you are ready to install XDMS on our machines.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I had Emile load up the beta testing changes last night which I believe consists of both driver and software changes. Some of the guys have already covered this so I won’t go into too much detail, but the changes are not subtle. It blows me away that Emile and his team can extract these types of changes from a driver / software change but hey, I think we are now used to the Taiko team delivering a high bar on what they set out to do.

I’ve only been able to spend a couple of hours with the changes so far but Roon does seem to have a bigger delta relative to TAS although I’m not sure how it compares to the ‘old’ Roon as I ditched it last year when TAS blew it away. For me the obvious changes are presence (the music just seems to have more presence), gain increase from what i can only assume is the noise floor dropping even further (although part of me now wants to also turn it up louder!!), soundstage size is a little bigger and micro dynamics are improved (yet again!).

Congrats again to Emile and his team - all your hard work is certainly paying off and we all greatly appreciate the contribution you are making to a more satisfying digital audio journey.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
We could use a few more testers owning one of the following DACs:

-EMM Labs DAC2V2
-EMM Labs DAC2X
-Esoteric Grandioso D1X
-Esoteric K-01X
-Esoteric K-01XD
-Esoteric K-03
-Ideon Absolute
-Nagra HD-X
-Nagra Tube Dac
-Wadax Reference
Would love to help and I have a Nagra Tube DAC. But I don’t have my Extreme yet, which is probably important to have for the test ;)

Reactions: Bobvin and 2ndLiner

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
We could use a few more testers owning one of the following DACs:

-EMM Labs DAC2V2
-EMM Labs DAC2X
-Esoteric Grandioso D1X
-Esoteric K-01X
-Esoteric K-01XD
-Esoteric K-03
-Ideon Absolute
-Nagra HD-X
-Nagra Tube Dac
-Wadax Reference
Emile, I have an Esoteric K1X, which is not listed but I believe would work in lieu of a D1X. Let me know if I can help.

Baird

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing