Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
If I may… it would be great to be able to perform a search just on history. And select songs in history and move to a playlist. And in a historical search, being able to restrict to “last 3 (6, 12) months” etc. I worked in software development at Microsoft many years back, and for the startup that made the chip Apple used in the original iPods, so I know adding a feature might sound trivial, but there is a lot to it.

I don’t even have a dog in this hunt yet, my extreme isn’t due for several more weeks. Still, being able to make use of the list in history is lacking in Roon, so a wish list item for me. Not sure how others feel — I recognize not all requests end up in the code.
Welcome to the Extreme User group !

For me a big missing piece in TAS / LMS functionality is a history file / journal. A useful, easy to access, and extract history file to either load in the queue or be the basis for a play list, is definitely a feature which is on the list.

Export of Roon Playlists is also firmly on the list

Friendly interface to search is also a high priority goal.

The Taiko software strategy is simple, if we can't find the code to do the job we want, we will code it ! Software bloat is something we have all seen and suffered, but XDMS is a long long way from getting even close to that.

When it comes to search on streaming services we are very dependent on how each streaming service implements its search engine. Roon has done a very nice job of integrating its search across Qobuz and Tidal. Our ambitions down the road are to access global music databases and then to look for availability on various streaming services.

What is also coming is a customer service application that will run on MAC, PC and Tablets that will allow access to the Extreme Desktop, check for software updates, and ease the housekeeping of the home network.

Well functioning software needs a stable OS, and that what we have with the Extreme firmware and OS

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Did you compare the flac files obtained by the different processes using the windows filecompare in binary mode?
Hi Microstrip,

We have not compared Flac files generated by different by different code implementations and compression settings, but we are 100 percent certain that the decompressed files have the identical bit values for the audio data.

The thing about audio data transfer, is the wrapping paper matters. An audibly clear example of this is the SQ Delta of native DSD and DoP. DoP uses twice the number of bits to deliver exactly the same data and you can hear it

Reactions: rando

Lojay

Feb 4, 2020
Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but do any of you use the Extreme to serve two different rigs in the same household?

My Extreme is part of my living room speaker setup but I was wondering how I can make use of its goodness for my home office upstairs.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi Eurodriver,
Are there any plans to work on a good process for CD ripping that takes into account both sound and meta-data quality? I have compared files ripped on a standard PC drive using dBpoweramp to files ripped on a vibration isolated Teac drive powered by an ultra-low noise LPS and alternate SW and the latter were significantly better, to the point I actually scrapped all my PC rips where I had the actual CD available to re-rip.
Has anyone ever evaluated different ripping techniques using an Extreme for replay? I would be curious if similar differences were apparent.

Would you be willing to share 2 songs, one from each ripping method, so we can compare on our own systems?

Reactions: microstrip

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Happy New Year everybody!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers and contributors for your support over the past 3 years of the Extreme's existence. It has been an absolute pleasure dealing with all of you and your continued support have led us on a wondrous journey of discovery which has already resulted in various advances to improve the performance of our products. In this period, as most of you know, Taiko Audio has grown from a 4-man part-time operation on 300m2 of shared rented space to a 7-man full-time team operating from a 2000m2 dedicated facility. What you don't know, and of which I feel the time has now come to share, is that we have been working on no less then 17 projects for some time now of which between 9 and 12 are nearing completion and are going to be released in 2022. 3 of these you are aware of, being XDMS, a PCIe network card upgrade and accompanying switch. The others I cannot disclose at this time as some of these are currently non existing technologies for which we have received government appointed innovation grants. To indicate the scale of this R&D effort, there are now 18 engineers in various disciplines of 7 different companies working on parts of these projects alongside our own crew. None of this would have been possible without you. For me personally this is a dream come through, for which you have my eternal gratitude!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers and contributors for your support over the past 3 years of the Extreme's existence. It has been an absolute pleasure dealing with all of you and your continued support have led us on a wondrous journey of discovery which has already resulted in various advances to improve the performance of our products. In this period, as most of you know, Taiko Audio has grown from a 4-man part-time operation on 300m2 of shared rented space to a 7-man full-time team operating from a 2000m2 dedicated facility. What you don't know, and of which I feel the time has now come to share, is that we have been working on no less then 17 projects for some time now of which between 9 and 12 are nearing completion and are going to be released in 2022. 3 of these you are aware of, being XDMS, a PCIe network card upgrade and accompanying switch. The others I cannot disclose at this time as some of these are currently non existing technologies for which we have received government appointed innovation grants. To indicate the scale of this R&D effort, there are now 18 engineers in various disciplines of 7 different companies working on parts of these projects alongside our own crew. None of this would have been possible without you. For me personally this is a dream come through, for which you have my eternal gratitude!
Sincere congratulations to you and your whole team, Emile. Exciting times for all.

Really, my support is something you've earn a thousand times over with your enthusiasm, support of your products long after the purchase and your tenacious quest to wring the very best out the evolving platform we call Extreme.

Continued good fortune and success to you, your family and your entire team in the new year!

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but do any of you use the Extreme to serve two different rigs in the same household?

My Extreme is part of my living room speaker setup but I was wondering how I can make use of its goodness for my home office upstairs.

Hi @Lojay ,

Roon is capable of serving multiple networked endpoints. If the option for additional infrastructure is there you can also use a monoprice slimrun optical USB extender to run USB to a different room.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Emile very excited about the new releases, I'm glad I got on the boat.
I have visited the Taiko website and have been viewing the manual in pdf format. Unfortunately I don't speak English and in order to translate it with Google Translate you would need an HTML version of that manual. Would it be possible to access it?

Reactions: Taiko Audio

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Ha! It's a dream come true for us too. Home audio that sounds like this? As my neighbor and friend...an internationally acclaimed classical musician said to me: "I had no idea a home system could sound this good." Dreams can come true! Best to all the Taiko Team. Keep breaking down the walls...literally and musically.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile very excited about the new releases, I'm glad I got on the boat.
I have visited the Taiko website and have been viewing the manual in pdf format. Unfortunately I don't speak English and in order to translate it with Google Translate you would need an HTML version of that manual. Would it be possible to access it?

Can you send us an e-mail for that?

Reactions: Glide3

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
To which address?

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy

Hi Emile, your talent, passion and dedication really stood out through this 3 year / 400+ pages monster of a thread, and as a business owner myself I am really envious of the level of customer satisfaction you and your team have built, I can't remember seeing this amount of sincere pride of ownership in many decades into high-end audio, bravo!

As a late comer, I am very excited about the arrival of my Extreme, and happy to learn that plenty of other goodies are in store for us in the next future ...

By the way, if your multi-discipline R&D effort needs some further help with computer-aided vibration or thermal simulations, feel free to ping me ;-)

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Hi Eurodriver,
Are there any plans to work on a good process for CD ripping that takes into account both sound and meta-data quality? I have compared files ripped on a standard PC drive using dBpoweramp to files ripped on a vibration isolated Teac drive powered by an ultra-low noise LPS and alternate SW and the latter were significantly better, to the point I actually scrapped all my PC rips where I had the actual CD available to re-rip.
Has anyone ever evaluated different ripping techniques using an Extreme for replay? I would be curious if similar differences were apparent.
A mamber from Audiophile Style 2 years ago shared files ripped from a standard computer and ones from a purpose built low noise computer. Both via DB Poweramp. There was a clear sonic difference. I posted about it and no one gave a bit of interest or concern.

FWIW, You also need to have the optical ripper power supply upgraded. Edison makes a good CD ripper.
edison@nandeaudio.com

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Would you be willing to share 2 songs, one from each ripping method, so we can compare on our own systems?
Hi dminches, this was several years ago when I was first building the library in my then new Innuos Zenith MkII SE. I had some rips I‘d prepared for the car and for a holiday stored on a Windows PC drive and a USB stick and I was wondering how they would sound vs the rips of the CDs done by the power and vibration optimized Teac drive and SW on the Innuos. The Innuos won by a margin, so that’s what I loaded. Took more time but ripping CDs on the Innuos is pretty quick and very easy, so no sweat. The other dBpoweramp rips are still on the PC drive but the PC itself is long retired in favour of an Apple platform and I never bothered to copy the music, given that I had duplicates with better SQ plus back-ups.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Emile, I think I speak for many others in saying we are excited to be taking this ride with you and Team Taiko.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing