Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Christiaan Punter

Excuse me if this is not the right thread but since it’s using Taiko Extreme I thought here is the most appropriate.

I don’t understand why my DSD files are all converted to standard PCM 24 bit when playing? DAC is Pillium Elektra and Taiko Extreme got the USB driver/compatibility right automatically from the get go, I didn’t have to access the Taiko Extreme Windows OS from VNC to manually install driver for Pillium Elektra, and I couldn’t find any file on the internet for Pillium Elektra driver anyway.
Pointers please, this got me quite frustrated.

View attachment 86459

View attachment 86458
Your windows don't show all the settings. Is it possible that you have selected DSD over PCM (DoP)?

I use "Native" and this allows DSD streams to play natively to the CH C1 DAC, even over AES/EBU.

1639657835173.png

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Your windows don't show all the settings. Is it possible that you have selected DSD over PCM (DoP)?

I use "Native" and this allows DSD streams to play natively to the CH C1 DAC, even over AES/EBU.

View attachment 86460
You were absolutely correct, I ticked DSD over PCM during initial setting. But there is no Native option my mine. See below

image.jpg

Christiaan Punter

Christiaan Punter

Ax
You were absolutely correct, I ticked DSD over PCM during initial setting. But there is no Native option my mine. See below

View attachment 86469
Actually, the lack of the "Native" option will probably not be the culprit. My path is still, "purple" (Lossless) even when selecting DoP. See below.
1639665773211.png
Can you confirm that no DSP / SRC is enabled in Roon?

1639665909904.png

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Fixed!! Factory reset does fix a lot of things. I get everything except MQA now since Pillium doesn’t support MQA

Christiaan Punter

Fixed!! Factory reset does fix a lot of things. I get everything except MQA now since Pillium doesn’t support MQA
Aha! Well, glad you got it sorted! :)

Reactions: Uwiik

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Also make sure you select the "Taiko Audio USB Device" with subscript "ASIO" as your output device. Disable all the other outputs ("System output" and whichever has subscript "Wasapi").

You can also have Roon perform the first unfold of MQA if so desired, for the second unfold you do need a DAC with MQA decoding.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Hi Emile @Taiko Audio! Does making the change to Taiko Audio USB Device with subscript ASIO affect the SQ when streaming from TAS? At the risk of putting a dent in my audio “street cred” I noticed an improvement in TAS SQ when I did this after adding the Pacific to my system…

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm a "set it and forget it" type of guy when it comes to the Extreme. I've followed Emile's recommendations from day 1 and have never had any desire to puhtz around on my own trying to better what Emile has already IMO made best. I guess I remain enthralled with TAS. I haven't used Roon now since the very first beta version of TAS was released. I just wait for the next version knowing it's going to be better than its predecessor. For all of us the pie in the sky will be the release of the replacement for TAS and it will be released IIRC in final rather than beta version. All of us Extreme users are hoping for a Christmas present before year end for the new system even though Ed and Emile are saying be patient as it likely will happen in January.

Christiaan Punter

There's a very tasty new dac out there, the APL DSD MR. I would like to hear that on the Extreme.
I haven't heard it with the Extreme but I have reviewed the APL DSD-AR and can confirm that it is a great DAC. It's super-detailed yet refined, sweet, and utterly fluid. I can only imagine how much more the MR will add!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile @Taiko Audio! Does making the change to Taiko Audio USB Device with subscript ASIO affect the SQ when streaming from TAS? At the risk of putting a dent in my audio “street cred” I noticed an improvement in TAS SQ when I did this after adding the Pacific to my system…

Well, it shouldn’t, as Roon is killed when switching to TAS, but yes I have observed that aswell. I also discovered why, the difference dissipates over time btw, a reboot fixes it instantly, but I will implement a “fix” to ameliorate the temporary decrease in SQ WHEN using TAS AFTER switching from Roon to TAS IF either the Wasapi or System Output output options are enabled in Roon. I hope what I just wrote makes sense :)

Steve Williams

Well, it shouldn’t, as Roon is killed when switching to TAS, but yes I have observed that aswell. I also discovered why, the difference dissipates over time btw, a reboot fixes it instantly, but I will implement a “fix” to ameliorate the temporary decrease in SQ WHEN using TAS AFTER switching from Roon to TAS IF either the Wasapi or System Output output options are enabled in Roon. I hope what I just wrote makes sense :)
Emile

I think everyone is ragging on you in the hope the new system comes sooner rather than later and no, what you wrote makes no sense to my simple mind ;)

Steve Williams

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Hello. Has anyone successfully completed an MSB dac update using TAS? I cannot. I even had them send it as .flac instead of .wav but the update fails, suggesting playback isn't bit perfect. I don't use Roon, so that's not really an option, although Ed offered that solution.

Anyone? Thanks...

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello. Has anyone successfully completed an MSB dac update using TAS? I cannot. I even had them send it as .flac instead of .wav but the update fails, suggesting playback isn't bit perfect. I don't use Roon, so that's not really an option, although Ed offered that solution.

Anyone? Thanks...

It appears the MSB update files contain something, a non music datablock or otherwise which is not retained during the TAS encryption-decryption cycle, which we have to do to prevent unauthorized streamed file copying. We have versions which don’t do this but we will have to remote in and run that manually for you. You can apply it straight away using Roon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing