Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
Speaking of the Soundiiz process. I recently received a collection of playlists created by a friend on Apple Music, and converted them onto Qobuz. However, a large percentage of the tracks were not found on Qobuz. Now that Apple Music offers lossless I would consider a subscription to have access to those missing tracks. But will TAS have the ability to include Apple Music in the future?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Speaking of the Soundiiz process. I recently received a collection of playlists created by a friend on Apple Music, and converted them onto Qobuz. However, a large percentage of the tracks were not found on Qobuz. Now that Apple Music offers lossless I would consider a subscription to have access to those missing tracks. But will TAS have the ability to include Apple Music in the future?

Hi Johnny,

Apple Music and Spotify don't allow their services to be integrated in 3rd party applications. To use those you will have to install/use their own client.

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
I've been wondering how they could manage to pull this off with Apple Music since December 2019

https://www.radius.co.jp/news/2019-12-20?neplayer?apple-music??????????????/

Since WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) ain't quite available in latest preview release of Windows 11 yet, the best bet at the moment should be installing x86 version of Android on a decent motherboard. Then get it rooted and put AirMusic on that afterwards

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...es-mess/page/12/?tab=comments#comment-1149626
I can even stream Apple Music now from Android via DLNA!

Finally we should be able to stream that back to Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC via DLNA.

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
I've been wondering how they could manage to pull this off with Apple Music since December 2019

https://www.radius.co.jp/news/2019-12-20?neplayer?apple-music??????????????/

Since WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) ain't quite available in latest preview release of Windows 11 yet, the best bet at the moment should be installing x86 version of Android on a decent motherboard. Then get it rooted and put AirMusic on that afterwards

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...es-mess/page/12/?tab=comments#comment-1149626

Finally we should be able to stream that back to Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC via DLNA.
Another solution might be AirPlay? I have been using AirServer on TK and it works well for lower resolution music such as Apple music or Spotify. I would imagine integrating something similar to Shairport into TAS might be challenging or impossible, as realtime audio is a completely differently approach to streaming or local files. There might be some compromises with Airplay obviously.

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
Another solution might be AirPlay?

IMHO it's such a mess and a half, otherwise I wouldn't have to mess with DLNA or anything that could have to go up to 192kHz

https://darko.audio/2021/06/apple-musics-hi-res-streaming-is-a-bit-of-a-mess/
And it’s the same story with Apple AirPlay: a 48kHz ceiling applies but Apple doesn’t tell us if 44.1kHz streams are first upsampled to meet that ceiling. Either way, 24bit/96kHz and 24bit/192kHz streams will be downsampled when sent over AirPlay. Once more we wave bye-bye to the studio master’s extra data.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksp...n-wedge-sounds-awesome-but-needs-some-polish/
Apple’s AirPlay 2 protocol downsamples audio files to 24-bit 44.1 kHz

The rest of all that "fun stuff" could be found below and so far it's just nothing but frustrations

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/

Basically we could actually install Big Sur (macOS 11.4) on any servers with Asus WS C621E SAGE but Apple Music doesn't support CoreAudio right now. No such luck with automatic switching of sampling rates and that's the reason why I would mention Android-x86 in the first place.

If either LineageOS 18.1 or OmniROM were actually able to support Computer Module 4, then this is the only choice out there that's remotely close to be considered audiophile quality

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=643286972960
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000906750017.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002583268413.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002583442098.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002846039806.html

All (unmodified) iOS / Android devices that came with a screen should be automatically disqualified for obvious reasons, though something like this could still be good enough if they're able to get NePLAYER working

https://eng.hifirose.com/RS250-info
https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/will-rose-rs201-support-lossless-apple-music/236
Apple Music is difficult to in-app as Apple does not yet support in-app libraries.

As usual there were some rumors about bringing lossless streaming to iTunes on Windows but IMHO we better take it as a grain of salt for now.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
BBC Proms 2021

Folks, what do you recommend for streaming the BBC Proms at the best possible resolution on the Extreme? NOTE: this is for outside UK.

The best I've found is the BBC 3 128kbps (shudder!) internet radio stream via Roon.

To think that in 2017, BBC piloted a 16/48 lossless stream, which was fabulous, but nothing came of it in following years.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
BBC Proms 2021

Folks, what do you recommend for streaming the BBC Proms at the best possible resolution on the Extreme? NOTE: this is for outside UK.

The best I've found is the BBC 3 128kbps (shudder!) internet radio stream via Roon.

To think that in 2017, BBC piloted a 16/48 lossless stream, which was fabulous, but nothing came of it in following years.
The new TAS backend will have access to the full BBC Radio and Podcast catalog. We are asking if Proms will be available as well

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Folks -

I ran into a problem when selecting "Save a Local Copy" - I thought that would just be a pointer to a local copy of my new Destination Library, but it can "duplicate" partial albums (with a single track)... not what wanted... I wanted it to use the songs in my existing Destination library.

So, this process can be messy and time consuming. I couldn't find an easier method, but I've updated the process, with the only way I could find. Updated REV 28 July 2021. The additional portion is below.

Don't forget to "Clean your Library" after all is said and done - should be the last step.

View attachment 80515
Hey V-squared. This is really impressive yeoman work. Thank you for your efforts. I will have to develop the courage to try this since the main reason I don't use TAS is that I don't have access to my playlists which are essential to my listening sessions. Of course, a one button solution in TAS would be ideal, but I'll leave that to Emile for future development.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Solution 330 internal DAC board added to Taiko USB driver

This XMOS 2 based USB DAC board which is an option for the solution 330 is working nicely with the Extreme

Reactions: onsionsi

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Finally tested straight power
Thought I'd share a quick update. Been on my list to finally listen to the Extreme plugged into its own dedicated 20amp outlet. I had been listening to the Extreme plugged into a Nordost 20amp Qbase (on its own dedicated 20amp circuit) since the Extreme came to my home. I know going straight to the wall has been recommended by a number of folks including the fantastic in-depth review by @raydude.

If you haven't already tried, please do! After letting the system settle for 24hrs after the switch, I can already tell the music is absolutely popping out of the system. Increased dynamics and separation in particular. Also hearing additional slight improvements in detail, a cleaner presentation with lowered noise floor, and engagement. I do think I am hearing more of the characteristics of the power cord that I am using on the Extreme compared to before. I am using the same power cord as before, but my Qbase is connected to the wall with another pc in the same manufacturer line up (so I may have been hearing a mix of those two cords if that makes sense).

I am particularly now excited to test out another power cord or two. Anyway, glad I finally got around to it and thanks to all that had suggested this route. Take good care everyone.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
This was a surprisingly big step up in SQ for me. Glad to hear it is going well for you as well.

If you have a chance to hear a Sablon King or Prince PC with the Extreme and a dedicated circuit, jump at it. The synergy is fantastic.

That being said, don't listen to the Sound Application TT7 unless you have permission to buy one ;)

In a couple weeks, I'm putting a new 6AWG dedicated line in. Looking forward to see how that compares to my current 10AWG dedicated line.

JanneW

Feb 22, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
www.warnhoffaudio.com
Talk to us Ed. This looks very interesting technologically and price wise. Have you (or anyone else) heard it, and in what system?

Has it been tried with any TotalDAC systems?
I use two of these set to 44.1 and 48 kHz output to a dCS Vivaldi DAC. The Mutec MC-3+ units receives accurate clocking from a Mutec REF 10 120 SE master clock. This combination gives a far more accurate sound than with the dCS Vivldi Clock - and at a lower price…
The Mutec REF10 120 SE is probably the most precise Master Clock available on the market.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
This was a surprisingly big step up in SQ for me. Glad to hear it is going well for you as well.

If you have a chance to hear a Sablon King or Prince PC with the Extreme and a dedicated circuit, jump at it. The synergy is fantastic.

That being said, don't listen to the Sound Application TT7 unless you have permission to buy one ;)

In a couple weeks, I'm putting a new 6AWG dedicated line in. Looking forward to see how that compares to my current 10AWG dedicated line.
Hi ray-dude,

Just bear in mind that your new 6AWG will take what feels like forever to break in…..months and months! If I was going to install something like that I would figure out a way to burn it in first, before it becomes an integral part of my hi-fi. I just waited about 4 months for some network upgrades to stabilise and I can tell you, 4 months listening to new mains cable really isn’t pleasant. If I were you I would make a ‘running in‘ rig, with something like an oscillating fan attached. After 4 months hook it up to the hi-fi and it‘ll sound great in a matter of a few days.

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
I know I am late with this question and maybe it has been answered but with 396 pages on this thread I will be ready for retirement going through them all. My question is when comparing the Extreme with downloaded files compared to streaming what were the differences or results. Were the much higher downloaded sampling rate and DSD that much better then streaming throught the server. When I say downloading I mean like Native DSD and Bluecoast direct download to memory.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I know I am late with this question and maybe it has been answered but with 396 pages on this thread I will be ready for retirement going through them all. My question is when comparing the Extreme with downloaded files compared to streaming what were the differences or results. Were the much higher downloaded sampling rate and DSD that much better then streaming throught the server. When I say downloading I mean like Native DSD and Bluecoast direct download to memory.

It has become pretty close, especially with TAS, but local files are still slightly ahead. Differences in source quality, as in which master has been used, makes a huge difference though. "Re"masters are generally bad news for audiophiles.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Can the extreme play .w64 files?
If so, can anyone comment on the sound versus .wav files?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
It has become pretty close, especially with TAS, but local files are still slightly ahead. Differences in source quality, as in which master has been used, makes a huge difference though. "Re"masters are generally bad news for audiophiles.
There was a Tidal update last night and today all 249 of my Tidal favorites are missing from TAS but are all there in Roon. Ed worked with me until 12:30 AM his time and understandably turned in so I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else has had the same problem. I rebooted Tidal and TAS and logged out and back into Tidal. I checked my Tidal credentials with LMS and everything's fine there. I cleared the library is TAS and did a complete rescan but no joy. The Tidal plugins in TAS look fine. As I said all of my Tidal favorites are there and playing fine in Roon. Any ideas?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There was a Tidal update last night and today all 249 of my Tidal favorites are missing from TAS but are all there in Roon. Ed worked with me until 12:30 AM his time and understandably turned in so I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else has had the same problem. I rebooted Tidal and TAS and logged out and back into Tidal. I checked my Tidal credentials with LMS and everything's fine there. I cleared the library is TAS and did a complete rescan but no joy. The Tidal plugins in TAS look fine. As I said all of my Tidal favorites are there and playing fine in Roon. Any ideas?
I have painfully learned over the years that it isn't always a benefit to be an early adopter when it comes to updates.I feel your pain.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I have painfully learned over the years that it isn't always a benefit to be an early adopter when it comes to updates.I feel your pain.
Thanks. I've learned that lesson too but the Tidal update was automatic and I'm not sure how to prevent that.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
And three hours later I find all the Tidal albums are back. Must have been those slow cooked baby back rids my wife made tonight. Or not. I have no idea what happened but I'm good now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing