Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The problem has not been to alter the sound by varying network components, it has been to get a consistent performance improvement over a wide range of use cases beyond seasoning to taste like for example darkening or brightening the sound.

We have spend considerable amounts of time on “tuning” networking only to arrive at the conclusion we’ve mostly been altering sound and then you’re a place where there’s no “perfect” solution, as it is subject to system setup and personal preference.

The recent recommendation to atleast try an unshielded cable connection, preferably standard cheap cat5e, is because it does not do anything wrong, like trade dynamics for a different sound balance, or reduce streamed file playback performance in exchange for improved local file playback performance.

I’m beyond pleased with this latest discovery as it provides a consistent very noticable performance improvement in the all important midrange, removing veils, increasing transparancy and significantly increasing realism, naturalness and dimensionality.

This so far is consistent in every use case, streaming, local file playback, with Roon, with TAS, and no uplift in SQ when unplugging the network.

What is still there is a difference in sound signature between different network cables. While on that topic we have fixed the cable shield issue now aswell though I still prefer unshielded as that consistently sounds more “lively” where shielding has an edge in lowering background noise.

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
performance improvement in one of the arguably weaker areas of digital playback systems, the all important midrange, removing veils, increasing transparancy and significantly increasing realism, naturalness and dimensionality.
...in my home/network this is what I find when adding the PFBuffalo switch, Emile. Per Ed's advice, I began without the switch, which was lovely.

I still find USB cables give that "tuning" effect you note, but adding the switch back seems to add more "insight" into the music, if that's a term that makes any sense contextually.

I had in mind this came from improved timing a very good switch (thanks @nenon) brings to the flow. Perhaps you know otherwise and one day, so will we.

Until then, although costly to us, please continue to shower daily for the benefit of global digital audio! Cheers...

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
The problem of having too many options is a blessing and a curse. In my system LAN with the outstanding Sablon 2020 has the density of a Saint Emilion 2014, which is just exhilarating, and Fiber with the Finisar 1321 has the freshness and roll of a Sancerre, notwithstanding the width, depth and height of the GoT wall. This conendrum I can only thank Emille and Ed for having, but I might just go back to enjoying a drink as I just can’t make any constructive decision :)

Following your fine wine analogy, you can think of the Taiko Switch Technology as a fine wine glass with the correct shape to match the taste bud locations on your tongue, and the glass has been scrupulously cleaned with no perfumed detergents but with ultra pure distilled water allowing the taste of the wine to bloom in its full glory . . . . .

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
The problem has not been to alter the sound by varying network components, it has been to get a consistent performance improvement over a wide range of use cases beyond seasoning to taste like for example darkening or brightening the sound.

We have spend considerable amounts of time on “tuning” networking only to arrive at the conclusion we’ve mostly been altering sound and then you’re a place where there’s no “perfect” solution, as it is subject to system setup and personal preference.

The recent recommendation to atleast try an unshielded cable connection, preferably standard cheap cat5e, is because it does not do anything wrong, like trade dynamics for a different sound balance, or reduce streamed file playback performance in exchange for improved local file playback performance.

I’m beyond pleased with this latest discovery as it provides a consistent very noticable performance improvement in the all important midrange, removing veils, increasing transparancy and significantly increasing realism, naturalness and dimensionality.

This so far is consistent in every use case, streaming, local file playback, with Roon, with TAS, and no uplift in SQ when unplugging the network.

What is still there is a difference in sound signature between different network cables. While on that topic we have fixed the cable shield issue now aswell though I still prefer unshielded as that consistently sounds more “lively” where shielding has an edge in lowering background noise.
Is there also still a difference in sound signature depending on what's upstream of the switch? eg. other switches, modem/router upgrades, etc.

Reactions: ctydwn

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Good question above. Also, wonder if two Taiko switches in series expands the capacity of the sonic stadium and further refinements of the wine glass. oh boy...secretly hope not....o_O:p

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Good question above. Also, wonder if two Taiko switches in series expands the capacity of the sonic stadium and further refinements of the wine glass. oh boy...secretly hope not....o_O:p

We have not tried, but I doubt that there would be an appreciable benefit from having two Taiko Switches daisy chained

what is clear is that the quality of the LAN Cable between the Switch and the Extreme, becomes even more noticeable than with "normal" switches

Reactions: ctydwn

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
We have not tried, but I doubt that there would be an appreciable benefit from having two Taiko Switches daisy chained

what is clear is that the quality of the LAN Cable between the Switch and the Extreme, becomes even more noticeable than with "normal" switches
Great news from the Taiko Team and Thank you for the continuous evolution. Have not tried regular un-shielded cat 5e cable yet in my system.
Have you tried a regular Cat 5e cable instead of of a quality Lan cable with this new Taiko switch?. What makes this swtich less inmune to the Lan cable compared to other expensive switches where the use of a regular non shielded cat5e cable makes a little difference?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Does it matter what router I use? My Araknis Networks 300 Series Router (AN-300-RT-4L2W) looks like it just died today.
My Extreme is supposed to get here in a week or two ....

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Great news from the Taiko Team and Thank you for the continuous evolution. Have not tried regular un-shielded cat 5e cable yet in my system.
Have you tried a regular Cat 5e cable instead of of a quality Lan cable with this new Taiko switch?. What makes this swtich less inmune to the Lan cable compared to other expensive switches where the use of a regular non shielded cat5e cable makes a little difference?
The Taiko Switch Technology reduces the effect of different LAN cable implementations, so one can be happy with the sonics of off the shelf CAT 5

However because the glass has become so much cleaner, the sonic flavor of the cable is more detectable

The takeaway is, one can be more relaxed about LAN cable selection, but can hear more clearly the different presentations of different cables

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is there also still a difference in sound signature depending on what's upstream of the switch? eg. other switches, modem/router upgrades, etc.
Does it matter what router I use? My Araknis Networks 300 Series Router (AN-300-RT-4L2W) looks like it just died today.
My Extreme is supposed to get here in a week or two ....

We spend 14 months working on this switch, I was admittedly about to throw in the towel as it started to look like there was no universal solution, until last week. As much as I'd like to share our discovery, this is a public forum and our investment totals up to significant. I'll refrain myself to saying we've been looking at it the wrong way.

Unfortunately there is no way around cabling sound signatures, by various mechanisms. Connecting the (chassis) ground of your switch or other networking appliances to your server / system is a factor, but next to that the signal carrying conductor material / geometry have their influence / signature to a similar extend as an USB or AES/EBU cable. We did manage to reduce its influence to "perspective", but even if you have a variety of standard CAT 5E cables of different makes, they do all sound slightly different. This is just something an Audiophile is just going to have to accept I guess.

We are now in the parts sourcing phase, which is a serious challenge nowadays.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We spend 14 months working on this switch, I was admittedly about to throw in the towel as it started to look like there was no universal solution, until last week. As much as I'd like to share our discovery, this is a public forum and our investment totals up to significant. I'll refrain myself to saying we've been looking at it the wrong way.

Unfortunately there is no way around cabling sound signatures, by various mechanisms. Connecting the (chassis) ground of your switch or other networking appliances to your server / system is a factor, but next to that the signal carrying conductor material / geometry have their influence / signature to a similar extend as an USB or AES/EBU cable. We did manage to reduce its influence to "perspective", but even if you have a variety of standard CAT 5E cables of different makes, they do all sound slightly different. This is just something an Audiophile is just going to have to accept I guess.

We are now in the parts sourcing phase, which is a serious challenge nowadays.
So Emile I’m confused. Is the purpose of this switch to allow users to hear the sonic differences of different Ethernet cables or does it make a sonic improvement to whatever Ethernet cable is used. Do I also understand that the switch is copper in and copper out or is optical cable also used

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
So Emile I’m confused. Is the purpose of this switch to allow users to hear the sonic differences of different Ethernet cables or does it make a sonic improvement to whatever Ethernet cable is used. Do I also understand that the switch is copper in and copper out or is optical cable also used
Steve,

the Taiko Switch makes a dramatic improvement in the texture of the sonic presentation regardless of which LAN cable is used

IMHO this is as big a upgrade in SQ as the USB card

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Thank goodness for that, Emile. You wouldn't want to deprive audiophiles of their propensity for driving themselves crazy obsessing over cables!

Steve Z

Steve Williams

Steve,

the Taiko Switch makes a dramatic improvement in the texture of the sonic presentation regardless of which LAN cable is used

IMHO this is as big a upgrade in SQ as the USB card
Ed...you didn't answer the last part....is the switch copper in and copper out or is there optical fiber involved

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Ed...you didn't answer the last part....is the switch copper in and copper out or is there optical fiber involved

It has 1 SFP (fiber) and 2 rj45 (copper) ports. You can go fiber in copper out, copper in fiber out, or copper in copper out. The last one being my personal preference.

Steve Williams

It has 1 SFP (fiber) and 2 rj45 (copper) ports. You can go fiber in copper out, copper in fiber out, or copper in copper out. The last one being my personal preference.
Precisely why I asked. I have zero interest in fiber I would use copper in and out of the switch

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
With all this talk about unshielded ethernet cables, I just noticed that the Melco switch comes with an unshielded Cat 6 cable (that looks gorgeous) as stock- there's just one, though, probably for use from switch to server. Maybe the Japanese came to the same conclusion!

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
On a side-note, from my limited experience it's a nearly 100% rule in R&D that you get to the point of pulling your hairs out and throwing out the towel and suddenly finding the missing piece of the jigsaw, tough life for the braves living on the bleeding tech edge! :)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
With all this talk about unshielded ethernet cables, I just noticed that the Melco switch comes with an unshielded Cat 6 cable (that looks gorgeous) as stock- there's just one, though, probably for use from switch to server. Maybe the Japanese came to the same conclusion!

The Japanese tend to have an above average ear for detail :)

Reactions: jelt2359 and five

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing