Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
All over America, folks are rousing and hitting refresh on their phones, seeing where the FedEx Bunny is...

I am waiting for the notification that it has been shipped.

I wonder how many they are shipping every day.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: oldmustang

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Pretty amazing launch pace, esp. given Covid and the severe global supply chain challenges right now. Bravo Emile and team!

Reactions: cmarin

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
FedEx bunny came bright and early this morning! Can't wait to get off work calls and play with the new USB card...

Reactions: ray-dude

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
FedEx bunny came bright and early this morning! Can't wait to get off work calls and play with the new USB card...
Priorities dude!

Put the calls on speakerphone and you can multi-task :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
There is a plugin for radio that is shown under server settings, and is not installed in the default configuration, but I don't know if it is functional or tested.
The reason TAS sounds so good is TAS processes each track prior to play, hence the delay before every track. How would you ever be able to process a steady radio stream, that includes talking in between tracks? I don't see how you could do that, although I would love it if they could.

Live radio on Roon sounds amazing with the new usb card, I actually don't care anymore if TAS can do radio, it's fine to run on Roon.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
To Bob and others who have already installed their Taiko USB Board.......I have been playing some of my favorite demo tracks and in some songs the sound stage literally expands beyond anything I have ever heard. In fact on some passages I have already commented about the Immersive Effect being beyond anything I have ever heard. To make my point more clearly what I am hearing in some songs is the sound literally all above me. It is as if I am in the soundstage. It is spooky good

In fact I was so unsure whether I was imagining this or whether there was an issue with my system, I reached out to Emile who did confirm that what I was hearing was very much there. Not in all songs, but when you hear it you will truly have a "wtf did I just hear moment :D

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob. Have you heard what I’m describing
Well I hate to say it, but I've had that effect prior to TAS, but only on certain recordings. My room is pretty tripped out and with the big planers, omni and horns I have had that effect for a while now.

That is one of the reasons that I gravitate to these types of speakers. Room consuming. I'm not all that thrilled by sitting and watching the sound 10'-15' away from me. I like to be IN the soundstage. Enveloped.

The effect is not realized as much with cone speakers, for me in my room. They can sound great, but they don't do what my other speakers do in the room encompassing affect.

TAS has definitely accentuated this experience.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
The reason TAS sounds so good is TAS processes each track prior to play, hence the delay before every track. How would you ever be able to process a steady radio stream, that includes talking in between tracks? I don't see how you could do that, although I would love it if they could.

Live radio on Roon sounds amazing with the new usb card, I actually don't care anymore if TAS can do radio, it's fine to run on Roon.

my main interest in radio is listening to my NPR news station and, on occasion, baseball games.
i'd be fine with something simple like squeezelite as a player option without any concern for the SQ of the NPR news broadcast.
i'm really looking for a convenience option here, not an ultimate SQ option..................without paying for Roon!

this is absolutely not a high priority item for me, i'm much more interested in 1) getting my usb card and 2) getting playback to be truly gapless.

and i'm certainly happy that my usb card is shipping via fedex air and not via the suez canal.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
my main interest in radio is listening to my NPR news station and, on occasion, baseball games.
i'd be fine with something simple like squeezelite as a player option without any concern for the SQ of the NPR news broadcast.
i'm really looking for a convenience option here, not an ultimate SQ option..................without paying for Roon!

this is absolutely not a high priority item for me, i'm much more interested in 1) getting my usb card and 2) getting playback to be truly gapless.

and i'm certainly happy that my usb card is shipping via fedex air and not via the suez canal.
Yes, that's a different reason for the radio. RSC for me is my favorite listening so any uptick in SQ is greatly appreciated. Although as I said I'm a happy camper with Ronn Live Radio since the usb card arrived.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I hate to say it, but I've had that effect prior to TAS, but only on certain recordings. My room is pretty tripped out and with the big planers, omni and horns I have had that effect for a while now.

That is one of the reasons that I gravitate to these types of speakers. Room consuming. I'm not all that thrilled by sitting and watching the sound 10'-15' away from me. I like to be IN the soundstage. Enveloped.

The effect is not realized as much with cone speakers, for me in my room. They can sound great, but they don't do what my other speakers do in the room encompassing affect.

TAS has definitely accentuated this experience.
Bob, I too have have that effect as well with my system. I use Center Stage feet under components and speakers which enhances the immersive effect. Yet what I hear now is a more profound immersive effect. I too love to be in the sound stage. This however was more significant

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, I too have have that effect as well with my system. I use Center Stage feet under components and speakers which enhances the immersive effect. Yet what I hear now is a more profound immersive effect. I too love to be in the sound stage. This however was more significant
The only way to know would be for you to hear my system(s) and I yours. Hard to know otherwise.

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
To Bob and others who have already installed their Taiko USB Board.......I have been playing some of my favorite demo tracks and in some songs the sound stage literally expands beyond anything I have ever heard. In fact on some passages I have already commented about the Immersive Effect being beyond anything I have ever heard. To make my point more clearly what I am hearing in some songs is the sound literally all above me. It is as if I am in the soundstage. It is spooky good

In fact I was so unsure whether I was imagining this or whether there was an issue with my system, I reached out to Emile who did confirm that what I was hearing was very much there. Not in all songs, but when you hear it you will truly have a "wtf did I just hear moment :D
Steve, this is what happens when another layer of noise /yes, the noise you kept saying did not exist in your system :)/ disappears. The digital noise is quite an interesting thing. We never know it is there until it's gone. Then we are like "Oh! I see now". I've had this experience many times. And I expect that would keep happening - thinking that even the last layer of noise is gone until another layer disappears. Those are the joy moments in our hobby. At least with digital...

The initial feedback of the Taiko USB is very impressive. And those first USB cards are not even completely burned in as noted by some other members. It would only get better.

Hearing about some bits and pieces of the development of the USB card (the general stuff Emile shares, not any of the secrets or his IP), I knew this USB would be the real deal before anyone even had one. The design is impressive. The parts are impressive. The voicing - well, I know something about that that I can't share, but we can call it impressive too. And there are probably a few other impressive things we don't even know about. I have been telling people that this would not be just the "icing on the cake". It would be a "game changer".

The Taiko team either did not realise the level of impact this USB card would have or they downplayed it a little and waited for the real user feedback to prove that it's a "game changer", not just the "icing on the cake". My guess is it was a little bit of both. I don't blame them. The Extreme is so good the way it is, and people invested a lot of money in it. Posting that there is a new USB card that significantly improves the Extreme can be perceived as if the USB on the Extreme was inferior. No, it was not inferior. Technology changes. This Taiko thread started more than two years ago. The USB on the Extreme was the best at the time. But now, something even better came up. That's perfectly normal with technology. It's bad when you need to throw the old piece of technology away and buy a new one. That is not the case here. There is an easy upgrade path, which is probably relatively inexpensive for the improvement you get for the amount of money you pay.
It's obvious that the Extreme was designed as a platform rather than an end product. If the changes after Roon updates, the Taiko USB driver, and TAS were not a proof of this, take a look at this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 1.42.32 PM.png
You guys had a connector for the USB card from day 1. Even the first builds more than two years ago had that.

I got asked by several Extreme owners what I think about the Taiko USB card. My answer was simple.
I have my own DIY server that is quite similar to an Extreme (we can probably call it a poor IT/DIY man's Extreme). I never justified the expense of an Extreme in my situation (although I've spent way more than an Extreme in experiments, but I enjoyed making, sharing, and learning from those experiments). But if I cannot get the Taiko USB card for my DIY server, I would be considering buying an Extreme. If I buy an Extreme, it would be because of the USB card. That's how good I believe this USB card is. That was before @Rhapsody and @Steve Williams even had their USB cards. Those several Extreme owners are actively reading this thread, and they know who they are :).

Emile clearly stated that the USB card will not be available for DIY. So I am considering my next move here...

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
All over America, folks are rousing and hitting refresh on their phones, seeing where the FedEx Bunny is...
Mine just arrived. I'm going to install it as soon as I finish lunch.

Steve

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Emile clearly stated that the USB card will not be available for DIY. So I am considering my next move here...

Hop aboard. We saved you a seat.

• Haha
Reactions: nenon

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Up and running after a slight snafu that Emile helped me navigate.

Listening cold, already grinning like an idiot!
Congrats.

Is the snafu worth sharing with the group to assist those of us who haven’t gone through the process?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing