Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Count me among the recent Extreme users (w a Lampi GG2 + JL USB board) who have upgraded to TAS beta. Emile’s instillation was a thrill to watch from my TeamViewer shared screen as it’s like watching an Avenger character moving faster than a speeding bullet. I have spent the better part of two days comparing Roon to TAS and agree with what everyone has already posted. The SQ of TAS is clearly superior but…and for me it’s a big “but”.

First, I found that the surprising area in which the SQ of TAS is superior is the bass. I don’t know if this is a common observation, nor do I know why it’s the case, but it’s quite noticeable and significant, at least in my rig. A second observation that I found unexpected is that due to the increased clarity across the board vs. Roon I found that I was enjoying much of what I played at a lower level than before. Perhaps it’s a common audiophile tendency to push one’s system to warp 9 in order to become more emotionally involved or “immersed” in the sound field. I’m guessing this is often done without much forethought. (If “x” on the volume control is good, the “x+1” must be better!). But TAS diminished that need, at least for me. Anyone else notice this?

However, now that SQ is out of the way, let me say why I won’t be using TAS as my primary listening tool. I think the reasons are obvious. As has already been mentioned, TAS is a product in evolution. Anybody who owns an Extreme and who has interacted with anyone from Taiko knows that their commitment to sonic excellence will continue to drive constant improvement in TAS. That’s a given. But working with a product that doesn’t allow intraplay scrolling or pause, and which relies on a user interface that at best can be described as clunky, is simply a non-starter for me most of the time. While Roon’s SQ is perhaps 80-90% (?-you pick a number !) as good as TAS’s, its user interface is a masterpiece of intuitiveness and simplicity. As we all know, TAS is not there yet although we hope it will be eventually. I have said before, Roon has changed the way I listen to music. Unfortunately, TAS does the same, but not in a good way. Navigation alone is the huge caveat in TAS, and the fact that I often rely on 20 years of playlists that I can’t access is a big part of that. As far as the user interface, well, it was obviously written by “PC guys” and has the look and clunky feel of that universe. The PC MS/Unix world is often the preferred programming environment of engineers for a reason, and that is exactly what we have here. Mac slick it is not, but functional and capable it surely is in spades (especially for its programmers), so if SQ is your holy grail, knock yourself out. (Then again, if SQ is truly your holy grail, why aren’t you using your TT more? :rolleyes::cool:)

During the install, Emile mentioned that he did something recently that raised the SQ bar on Roon (I don’t know if that has to do with the Extreme and its drivers, or TAS, or both) but apparently the differential in SQ between Roon and TAS just recently decreased incrementally. Roon may not be as good as TAS from a SQ perspective, but whatever percent it is, it’s now higher than it used to be. And for that reason, I find that Roon serves its purpose just fine for my needs as it sounds pretty darned good. For “critical’ listening (whatever the heck that means), I’ll certainly use TAS since once you hear it, it’s hard to unhear it. But for musical exploration, which takes up a good deal of my time and effort, you won’t be able to pull me away from Roon… for now. I’m sure I’m not alone in hoping that I will be able to enjoy the SQ benefits of TAS full time once the program is successfully further developed to allow access to the features I now enjoy so much in Roon.
Hi Marty

I felt the same way initially but then the siren sound of tas drew me in more and more where i am just using tas now most of the time. It's like transitioning from a merc to a porsche , the former has all the tech toys and glamour but the latter true to its roots rather than a technological marvel that gets replaced again and again. Having driven a porsche, i certainly wont go back into a merc.

Perhaps it is just me .... but i have never truly found a turntable that has beat my digital setup yet. Thats not to say never of course :) And i am sure i havent heard the top end tt setup out there as yet but until then - digital is it for me:)

Emile loaded both Qobuz and Tidal with my log in info but the next day Tidal was missing for some reason. Steve helped me recover it by walking me through the manual. So far so good. (I would have pinged Emile but it was the middle of the night and even though there's a rumor that Emile never sleeps o_O, I didn't want to take the chance of waking him up so I called Steve!).

Is anyone using a NAS with their Extreme, for playback or backup? I have a Synology DS1815+ which no longer mounts successfully on the Extreme. Since that model is from 2015, I am considering the Synology DS1621+ which is their latest design. But would be curious to know of other NAS models that work.

Last edited:
Is anyone using a NAS with their Extreme, for playback or backup? I have a Synology DS1815+ which no longer mounts successfully on the Extreme. I am considering the Synology DS1621+ since it is their latest design. But would be curious to know of other NAS models that work.
I'm using a DS1515+ for backup (after my library got moved to the Extreme when I first got it). Never had any problems with the NAS or connections. I just mapped a drive letter to \\roon_library\sgm_music (obviously I named the NAS \\roon_library). Don't know if that helps....

I'm using a DS1515+ for backup (after my library got moved to the Extreme when I first got it). Never had any problems with the NAS or connections. I just mapped a drive letter to \\roon_library\sgm_music (obviously I named the NAS \\roon_library). Don't know if that helps....
Thanks for the feedback. I know of another Extreme owner who has the DS1515+ with no issues, and both models are from 2015. Mine worked after I received the Extreme, and still works with macOS, so it's a mystery. Something must have happened along the way. I'm fine with moving on to a newer design, and will donate this one to my nephew.

Thanks for the feedback. I know of another Extreme owner who has the DS1515+ with no issues, and both models are from 2015. Mine worked after I received the Extreme, and still works with macOS, so it's a mystery. Something must have happened along the way. I'm fine with moving on to a newer design, and will donate this one to my nephew.
I’m using a Synology DS413 for backup to the Extreme and have never had a problem establishing a connection between them.

I’m using a Synology DS413 for backup to the Extreme and have never had a problem establishing a connection between them.
Thanks. And that model is from 2013, so the plot thickens.

Emile installed the test Taiko USB driver for TotalDac DACs on my Extreme early Thursday am. I had a chance to listen for 15 mins before having to pull myself away and head out to work. Even with the amp cold, I could tell the new driver was something special.

Cut to Saturday evening late, all the electronics nice and toasty and it reminds of the remark the great golfer Ernie Els made in disbelief after watching Tiger Woods in his prime make an incredible shot around trees and land on the green: “F...Me!!”

Well damn...Emile and team keep pulling rabbits out of the proverbial hats. One would expect incremental changes to create, well, incremental improvements. But these changes from the Extreme, to TAS, to now the Taiko drivers are anything but incremental. They are on the Ernie Els “F...Me” range.

The now clearly revealed nuances/subtleties in notes across the frequency range and especially with voices, together with the relative absence of noise between notes in time and in space, gets you so close to reality that your brain can conjure real, fleshed out images without effort or strain...the music and emotions just washing over.

“F...Me!” ...With apologies to Mr. Els and continuing credit to the Taiko team.

What’s next up your sleeve Mr. Bok?

Last edited:
Dear Emile. I would like to report back that after the Roon update to 1.8 for over 24 hours. The sound has returned to the previous 1.7 level. The new interface is feature rich. I am not beta testing TAS yet and waiting for the team to iron out the problem before I move on the TAS.

Is anyone using a NAS with their Extreme, for playback or backup? I have a Synology DS1815+ which no longer mounts successfully on the Extreme. Since that model is from 2015, I am considering the Synology DS1621+ which is their latest design. But would be curious to know of other NAS models that work.
I use a nas to store the music as a second copy but the whole point of an extreme is to cut down and out the nas which has seperate noise issues introduced into the system. All i do is get an asus m2 pci card like Emile advised and get m.2 cards. the 8tb m2 cards are not affordable affordable but you cant beat them for storage density. 32tb in 1 pci card essentially.

Emile installed the test Taiko USB driver for TotalDac DACs on my Extreme early Thursday am. I had a chance to listen for 15 mins before having to pull myself away and head out to work. Even with the amp cold, I could tell the new driver was something special.

Cut to Saturday evening late, all the electronics nice and toasty and it reminds of the remark the great golfer Ernie Els made in disbelief after watching Tiger Woods in his prime make an incredible shot around trees and land on the green: “F...Me!!”

Well damn...Emile and team keep pulling rabbits out of the proverbial hats. One would expect incremental changes to create, well, incremental improvements. But these changes from the Extreme, to TAS, to now the Taiko drivers are anything but incremental. They are on the Ernie Els “F...Me” range.

The now clearly revealed nuances/subtleties in notes across the frequency range and especially with voices, together with the relative absence of noise between notes in time and in space, gets you so close to reality that your brain can conjure real, fleshed out images without effort or strain...the music and emotions just washing over.

“F...Me!” ...With apologies to Mr. Els and continuing credit to the Taiko team.

What’s next up your sleeve Mr. Bok?
Of the things we have identified and would like to test / experiment, the "to try out" list is still growing

Of the things we have identified and would like to test / experiment, the "to try out" list is still growing
Edward,

Oh my!! Glad to hear there are even more rabbits in the hat. My arm is ready for the next “incremental” hit!

question about the Roon core resident on the Extreme server. right now not using it and thrilled with my Beta TAS performance......in my 2 channel room in my barn.

i've recently done some serious Home Theater upgrades. gone from 7.1.4 speaker set-up to 9.3.6 speaker set-up, and added a new Processor, the Trinnov Altitude 16. which works as a Roon end point. i'm told with already having a Roon core (with a lifetime license) on my home LAN i can basically plug and play multi-channel streaming and all my music from my NAS or in the Extreme to my Home Theater room. i am curious how my improved multi-channel Home Theater room in my main house might do multi-channel music from Roon.

anyone doing this with an Extreme?

the issue is if i have Roon active on my Extreme so i can use it, will that compromise my TAS listening? i won't be doing both at the same time and unlikely my wife would use it as she uses her Sonos with my NAS and Tidal in the house. do i need to switch Roon on and off somehow so it does not restrict TAS 2-channel performance? i guess i can somehow toggle Roon (on and off) on my network if i'm in the Home Theater room?

should i buy a second Roon core? should i transfer it somehow? can i do that?

as a hard core analog signal path guy, i am curious about how dsp can make my life better :rolleyes: .......or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Esotar
The more I read the testimonials from Beta TAS users the more I realize that this is not some isolated impression of mine nor does it seem we are drinking the Kool Aid

I read with interest my good friend Marty's comments about how good TAS is, however he will opt to wait for a finished product as he dislikes the problems associated with the beta version as well as his still loving the Roon interface. To that I cannot disagree.

For me however I look at the whole thing through a different eye. People comment that they cannot pause or fast forward a track nor can they indulge themselves of all of the features of Roon. There is no doubt in my mind that Roon is seductive

Having said that I too would love to see a finished product....we all do BUT what TAS has done for me is to provide a sense of all I care about is the music. From the very start Emile and his team when rolling out TAS said that first and foremost it is the SQ that will be addressed and that all other features will be added. So how does that affect me. Personally I haven't been on Roon since November (other than to update to 1.8), but more so to compare the SQ of Roon to TAS. IMO the addition of the TAS driver is the secret sauce that seems to bring everything together. Gone for me is the desire to pause, stop or fast forward. TAS for my ears has opened a whole new period of my listening experience.I sit for hours, totally engaged in the music. I am mesmerized that I just sit and listen. I have been listening to all my stored music as well as streaming from Qobuz or Tidal. I just don't let these little things bother me as I know the fixes are coming. It is the music for me which has me totally engrossed

What makes it so easy for me us that unlike most others here, I do not rely on play lists for my listening experience. I find music I want to hear , queue up the tracks in XD player and push play. Play lists are just things that I rarely have interest in. I have become so enthralled with what I hear that the TAS interface as it presently is just doesn't bother me because it is mitigated by the superb sound quality. I just push play and sit back for hours listening. If I don't like a track I push fast forward and wait for the next song. That wait can seem forever but when that song plays all of the deficiencies noted in the beta version for me become moot. After all, for me it is the music that I chase with the best SQ. Presently in its infancy stages TAS trumps Roon. To that it seems almost all but 2 (Marty and Wil) feel the same.

What I know for sure, I that Emile and his team are on a mission to make TAS the best there is. To that end they are always working in the background to make our dreams, realities. As a result I pay little attention to the TAS interface after I have queued up my songs.BTW, I always use the serial (XD)Player and not the batched. I can queue up 20 songs and then sit back and relax with the knowledge that this is the best friggin sound I have ever heard in my system as well as having the knowledge that all of this small details will be fixed and modified and changed until we have a finished product with none of these issues

I have always said from the first pre-alpha version that it is the path of best SQ that I will follow and for me and my ears, I have never heard digital SQ as good as what I am hearing now. And this comes with Emile's pledge that TAS will be the best server around. This coupled with the fact that for now it is geared only to users of his Extreme and EVO

So once again, for those who have yet to have Emile install TAS and you wish to hear sound which is second to none, I suggest you reach out now and make an appointment for them to do the install. It takes all of 15 minutes at the most

IMO service such as this simply does not exist AFAIK in any other server. And the beauty is you can still listen to Roon if you so desire.

So as it stands now, if it is the best SQ you seek, give the TAS Beta a chance. I guaranty, as one member so correctly stated, once you hear TAS, you can not unhear it.

This plus the fact that all of our input is truly used to improve and supply all of the things that users have suggested. Tell me where there is any other company with such a passionate mission. For me, I have zero issues with TAS and look forward to all of the surprises Emile will be rolling out

Give me Roon focus ( all of it's parameters) and shuffle ability plus the ability to delete what's in the shuffle queue easily and that would be a huge step forward for TAS....as far as usability is concerned

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc
The more I read the testimonials from Beta TAS users the more I realize that this is not some isolated impression of mine nor does it seem we are drinking the Kool Aid

I read with interest my good friend Marty's comments about how good TAS is, however he will opt to wait for a finished product as he dislikes the problems associated with the beta version as well as his still loving the Roon interface. To that I cannot disagree.

For me however I look at the whole thing through a different eye. People comment that they cannot pause or fast forward a track nor can they indulge themselves of all of the features of Roon. There is no doubt in my mind that Roon is seductive

Having said that I too would love to see a finished product....we all do BUT what TAS has done for me is to provide a sense of all I care about is the music. From the very start Emile and his team when rolling out TAS said that first and foremost it is the SQ that will be addressed and that all other features will be added. So how does that affect me. Personally I haven't been on Roon since November (other than to update to 1.8), but more so to compare the SQ of Roon to TAS. IMO the addition of the TAS driver is the secret sauce that seems to bring everything together. Gone for me is the desire to pause, stop or fast forward. TAS for my ears has opened a whole new period of my listening experience.I sit for hours, totally engaged in the music. I am mesmerized that I just sit and listen. I have been listening to all my stored music as well as streaming from Qobuz or Tidal. I just don't let these little things bother me as I know the fixes are coming. It is the music for me which has me totally engrossed

What makes it so easy for me us that unlike most others here, I do not rely on play lists for my listening experience. I find music I want to hear , queue up the tracks in XD player and push play. Play lists are just things that I rarely have interest in. I have become so enthralled with what I hear that the TAS interface as it presently is just doesn't bother me because it is mitigated by the superb sound quality. I just push play and sit back for hours listening. If I don't like a track I push fast forward and wait for the next song. That wait can seem forever but when that song plays all of the deficiencies noted in the beta version for me become moot. After all, for me it is the music that I chase with the best SQ. Presently in its infancy stages TAS trumps Roon. To that it seems almost all but 2 (Marty and Wil) feel the same.

What I know for sure, I that Emile and his team are on a mission to make TAS the best there is. To that end they are always working in the background to make our dreams, realities. As a result I pay little attention to the TAS interface after I have queued up my songs.BTW, I always use the serial (XD)Player and not the batched. I can queue up 20 songs and then sit back and relax with the knowledge that this is the best friggin sound I have ever heard in my system as well as having the knowledge that all of this small details will be fixed and modified and changed until we have a finished product with none of these issues

I have always said from the first pre-alpha version that it is the path of best SQ that I will follow and for me and my ears, I have never heard digital SQ as good as what I am hearing now. And this comes with Emile's pledge that TAS will be the best server around. This coupled with the fact that for now it is geared only to users of his Extreme and EVO

So once again, for those who have yet to have Emile install TAS and you wish to hear sound which is second to none, I suggest you reach out now and make an appointment for them to do the install. It takes all of 15 minutes at the most

IMO service such as this simply does not exist AFAIK in any other server. And the beauty is you can still listen to Roon if you so desire.

So as it stands now, if it is the best SQ you seek, give the TAS Beta a chance. I guaranty, as one member so correctly stated, once you hear TAS, you can not unheard it.

This plus the fact that all of our input is truly used to improve and supply all of the things that users have suggested. Tell me where there is any other company with such a passionate mission. For me, I have zero issues with TAS and look forward to all of the surprises Emile will be rolling out
I couldn’t have put it better Steve. My exact same feelings about how we listen to music using TAS and after seeing the abomination of Roon 1.8 I’m glad to put it to bed and will delete it from my Extreme. There are plenty of other sources for discovery of music so it won’t be missed and I was a huge proponent of Roon 1.7. And as for Tidal, I‘m lost for words as to their underhanded promotion of MQA, foisting so called fake ‘masters’ onto unsuspecting listeners.

I, too, wholeheartedly agree with Steve’s take. While Roon is at the forefront of presentation of info and access to music it is Taiko which addresses my main desire, music delivered in as realistic a way as possible. The Taiko team could have waited until the functional side of TAS was perfected but for what we are hearing, I’m glad they didn’t. I trust in time it will be a smoother operational ride. For now I find it to be less of a “hassle” than spinning vinyl and it encourages me to listen to tracks from start to finish, as the artist intended...

question about the Roon core resident on the Extreme server. right now not using it and thrilled with my Beta TAS performance......in my 2 channel room in my barn.

i've recently done some serious Home Theater upgrades. gone from 7.1.4 speaker set-up to 9.3.6 speaker set-up, and added a new Processor, the Trinnov Altitude 16. which works as a Roon end point. i'm told with already having a Roon core (with a lifetime license) on my home LAN i can basically plug and play multi-channel streaming and all my music from my NAS or in the Extreme to my Home Theater room. i am curious how my improved multi-channel Home Theater room in my main house might do multi-channel music from Roon.

anyone doing this with an Extreme?

the issue is if i have Roon active on my Extreme so i can use it, will that compromise my TAS listening? i won't be doing both at the same time and unlikely my wife would use it as she uses her Sonos with my NAS and Tidal in the house. do i need to switch Roon on and off somehow so it does not restrict TAS 2-channel performance? i guess i can somehow toggle Roon (on and off) on my network if i'm in the Home Theater room?

should i buy a second Roon core? should i transfer it somehow? can i do that?

as a hard core analog signal path guy, i am curious about how dsp can make my life better :rolleyes: .......or not.

Hi Mike,

In this scenario, in your case, I would ask Steve to install Roon core on Crazy Horse (it will have a field trip running that). Indeed if it’s active on the Extreme, it will impact TAS, significantly. You can activate / deactive Roon cores on the fly. Ofcourse you can also just just let the Extreme do it but then you’ll endup switching between TAS / Roon all the time.

Hi Mike,

In this scenario, in your case, I would ask Steve to install Roon core on Crazy Horse (it will have a field trip running that). Indeed if it’s active on the Extreme, it will impact TAS, significantly. You can activate / deactive Roon cores on the fly.

perfect. that will be excellent. :cool:

but it will actually be on the DS1515 'Redbone', which is the mirroring NAS in the house (the one sitting next to Ed's laptop;)), 'Crazy Horse' is the NAS upstairs in the barn.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing