Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
How long of a gap between tracks are we talking about? Is it variable depending on track length?

I'm guessing they'll come up with a solution, but, personally, I'd thankfully trade a few seconds of silence between tracks for better sq any day!

5-7 seconds, maybe 10 seconds max as i recall. i'll time it tonight when i listen.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
5-7 seconds, maybe 10 seconds max as i recall. i'll time it tonight when i listen.

That's an eternity if there isn't supposed to be a gap.

I am sure they will come up with a solution.

Reactions: cat6man

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
How long of a gap between tracks are we talking about? Is it variable depending on track length?

I'm guessing they'll come up with a solution, but, personally, I'd thankfully trade a few seconds of silence between tracks for better sq any day!

if there has to be a tradeoff, it should be selectable as an option from the remote.
hopefully that won't be necessary, but gapless is a deal breaker for me.
a (short!) extra delay between tracks that already have silence between them is probably not a big issue, but for live concerts or Abbey Road, even a short interruption most certainly is, IMHO

don't forget, we're talking about an alpha release, not even a beta, so let's not get carried away and give Emile et son equipe some time to work this all out.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
if there has to be a tradeoff, it should be selectable as an option from the remote.
a (short!) extra delay between tracks that already have silence between them is probably not a big issue, but for live concerts or Abbey Road, even a short interruption most certainly is, IMHO

don't forget, we're talking about an alpha release, not even a beta, so let's not get carried away and give Emile et son equipe some time to work this all out.

Yes you can disable it. We could also consider preloading / treating an entire Album. Or preload the next track an X amount of time before the current track stops. The largest file I tried was a 4Gb file which took 32 seconds, equivalent to 6 or 7 16/44.1 CD's or a complete DSD256 album. That was from local storage, from Qobuz the internet download speed would be a factor.

Reactions: oldmustang

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco

The pause is proportional to track length and sample rate.

It’s like with cooking, good things can’t be rushed

It’s a bit like an old master waiter making zabaione at your table, too fast and too hot a flame, it collapses . . .

Reactions: Taiko Audio

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
I have been running a optimized wired network to my Extreme using my MacBook Pro to control Roon. Since TAS can only be controlled through an IPAD, what are other Extreme owners using to transmit a wifi signal.

My current network is ATT Fiber --> ONT --> EdgeX --> M12 --> Extreme.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my first impressions on the 'pause' is that it results in a relaxed and positive listening experience. i found that i anticipated the music starting, i had time to complete the enjoyment and afterglow of the previous track, and it made the experience overall more satisfying.

ask me in a week or two and we will see if i still feel that way. i think you have to get to a relaxed listening place to see how it works for you.

if that is the 'gotcha' for TAS then sign me up.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
In some cases I found the lag to be even longer. Personally it is the single biggest distraction for me

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
We could also consider preloading / treating an entire Album. Or preload the next track an X amount of time before the current track stops.
I think that's a good way to go. Load the entire album or playlist. The Extreme has a lot more RAM than any other music server I have seen. I don't know if streaming services like Tidal/Qobuz allow that. Hopefully they do.

Building a player that is designed to work with the specific hardware is absolutely the best way to go in terms of sound quality. Congrats to Taiko for that decision and more importantly for making that happen and the first alpha release.

Creating software that satisfy everyone is a challenge. There would be nearly as many opinions as the people using it. And that is evident from the posts in the last 48 hours above. I see people who only care about SQ and that's all that matters to them. And there are those who prefer full functionality. And some in in between.

Here is how I see this.
- Roon is hard to beat in terms of functionality. It seems like it's lacking one function mentioned by a member above, but that is a rare exception. As far as I understand it, Roon would always be an option for Extreme users and will serve very well the people who have that as their priority.
- The problem with Roon is that they are not focused on sound quality. In fact I dare to say they don't care about sound quality (at all).
- And this is where the new player from Taiko takes over.
- It seems like TAS (or some parts of it) was designed with one main goal in mind - to achieve sound quality that is better than Roon and other players.
- It also seems like the Taiko team is convinced that they have accomplished that. And the next logical step was to share the software with a closed group of people to verify that is indeed the case in a wider range of systems. It's much easier to work with a small group of people in that stage.
- Taiko would iron out any wrinkles and release a beta version.
- This would be a constant work in progress - initially to improve the sound quality over other players, and then followed by adding more functionality until the gap with Roon gets much smaller.

If you are in one of the extremities, the solution is easy. If you care only about sound quality you switch to TAS and deal with the functionality issues (i.e. no gapless playback support, wait between songs, etc.). If you are on the other end end of the spectrum and prefer to have the functionality support, the solution is also easy - switch to Roon and enjoy it.
If you are somewhere in between, then you would need some extra patience.

Here is how I manage this: If I want to do a critical listening session, I shutdown Roon, start HQplayer, load my local files, disconnect the network and enjoy my playlist played with best SQ. If I listen music in the background or try to discover some new music on Qobuz, I use Roon.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What we have in the alpha is unlikely to be in the final release.

We currently have the following options:
1) Auto, which follows vendor supplied DAC driver defaults, this is a "safe" mode which will work reliably on all types of installations, all types of computers running all kinds of Windows OS versions, and all kinds of playback software.
2) Adaptive, which is our own algorithm adjusted to what we feel sounds best for each sample rate on the Extreme, you can consider this optimised for the specific OS and hardware we run, so far this seems to be the preferred option amongst the alpha testers.
3) Manual, where you can specify your own, this is really just there to verify operation of the Adaptive mode and test what a wider range of DAC (drivers) can support.

This will likely go in one of the following directions:
1) A choice between Auto (DAC vendor default), or Adaptive (optimised for our hardware/software).
2) An optimised profile for the DAC used, for example, MSB, DCS, Lampizator, Totaldac etc, where you select the DAC you use and it will load the optimal settings for that.
OR 3) As we are developing our own generic driver which can support a very wide range of DACs we may just end up with an optimum for that driver with no need to change anything.

Basically we know what the Extreme can handle, which is any size, we're now gathering data on what the vendor supplied DAC drivers can support, and if the optimum depends on the driver(software) or the DAC hardware/firmware.
The Alpha and Beta rounds will give us the feedback we need to nail this down.
Thanks Emile.I have no doubt you will figure out what's best and most user friendly as TAS is refined.

Steve Williams

I think that's a good way to go. Load the entire album or playlist. The Extreme has a lot more RAM than any other music server I have seen. I don't know if streaming services like Tidal/Qobuz allow that. Hopefully they do.

Building a player that is designed to work with the specific hardware is absolutely the best way to go in terms of sound quality. Congrats to Taiko for that decision and more importantly for making that happen and the first alpha release.

Creating software that satisfy everyone is a challenge. There would be nearly as many opinions as the people using it. And that is evident from the posts in the last 48 hours above. I see people who only care about SQ and that's all that matters to them. And there are those who prefer full functionality. And some in in between.

Here is how I see this.
- Roon is hard to beat in terms of functionality. It seems like it's lacking one function mentioned by a member above, but that is a rare exception. As far as I understand it, Roon would always be an option for Extreme users and will serve very well the people who have that as their priority.
- The problem with Roon is that they are not focused on sound quality. In fact I dare to say they don't care about sound quality (at all).
- And this is where the new player from Taiko takes over.
- It seems like TAS (or some parts of it) was designed with one main goal in mind - to achieve sound quality that is better than Roon and other players.
- It also seems like the Taiko team is convinced that they have accomplished that. And the next logical step was to share the software with a closed group of people to verify that is indeed the case in a wider range of systems. It's much easier to work with a small group of people in that stage.
- Taiko would iron out any wrinkles and release a beta version.
- This would be a constant work in progress - initially to improve the sound quality over other players, and then followed by adding more functionality until the gap with Roon gets much smaller.

If you are in one of the extremities, the solution is easy. If you care only about sound quality you switch to TAS and deal with the functionality issues (i.e. no gapless playback support, wait between songs, etc.). If you are on the other end end of the spectrum and prefer to have the functionality support, the solution is also easy - switch to Roon and enjoy it.
If you are somewhere in between, then you would need some extra patience.

Here is how I manage this: If I want to do a critical listening session, I shutdown Roon, start HQplayer, load my local files, disconnect the network and enjoy my playlist played with best SQ. If I listen music in the background or try to discover some new music on Qobuz, I use Roon.
As far as functionality I believe it is fair to say that we all prefer the Roon interface. What is important to understand is that the interface is an open code that will continue to be updated. There is no doubt in my mind that Emile will ultimately produce a product whose sound quality betters Roon and an interface that is as good or better than Roon

one thing I really miss that is on Roon is being able to show the format and resolution of the album or track. It makes life so much easier. Format and resolution is available in TAS but you have to already be playing the track to know what the resolution is

Steve Williams

I don’t think any of us need to be concerned about the interface. It was the SQ which was the main factor in developing TAS but the interface will be made to have everything we want

wil

Jul 22, 2015

If an entire album can be buffered before starting, this should not be an issue at all.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If an entire album can be buffered before starting, this should not be an issue at all.

Can we legally buffer an entire album before playing?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: oldmustang

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
As far as functionality I believe it is fair to say that we all prefer the Roon interface. What is important to understand is that the interface is an open code that will continue to be updated. There is no doubt in my mind that Emile will ultimately produce a product whose sound quality betters Roon and an interface that is as good or better than Roon

one thing I really miss that is on Roon is being able to show the format and resolution of the album or track. It makes life so much easier. Format and resolution is available in TAS but you have to already be playing the track to know what the resolution is

+1 on everything except Roon. i find Roon completely unusable do to its inability to navigate folders.
i understand that i'm in a minority on that issue.

i assume that the Roon powers-that-be view folder navigation with the same respect they have for SQ

Reactions: jbrrp1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing