Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
My 1st Extreme was updated yesterday.

After update, first Extreme sound quality highly increased.

About 15% up~!!!

Taiko Audio update service is really awesome.

Very very fantastic~!!!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Can or is the teamviewer software residing in the SGM itself, so to speak, also any trouble shooting can always be done directly by the SGM team via remote support?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Can or is the teamviewer software residing in the SGM itself, so to speak, also any trouble shooting can always be done directly by the SGM team via remote support?

Yes, the TV software is preloaded into the server to facilitate remote support.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is most likely a software optimisation done remotely via teamviewer.
Thank you Mark, 100% correct!

Yes, the TV software is preloaded into the server to facilitate remote support.
I'd like to add that teamviewer is not running, it has to be activated by its user before we can access the SGM (for privacy reasons).

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I assume Taiko sends out an email notifying Extreme customers that there is an update available?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Feb 9, 2019

(...) For USB it was more of a sideways move, mainly a different sonic character, BUT JCAT has released a firmware update for their USB card that I have not been able to test yet, supposedly the SQ increase is significant.
For networking I do get the best results by far using STP when using the right SFP modules. The JCAT card could be an upgrade for directly connecting to an ethernet renderer. But I'm very sorry to have to tell you again that I still have to test that.

Did you have the oportunity to carry the tests with the ethernet renderer? My main interest is the ethernet connection to the DCS Vivaldi upsampler.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Did you have the oportunity to carry the tests with the ethernet renderer? My main interest is the ethernet connection to the DCS Vivaldi upsampler.

Are you able to verify the DCS ethernet connection speed? If its 100Mbit, you're better of connecting through a switch capable of "converting" 100Mbit to 1Gb. 100Mbit connections do degrade online streaming services quality / Roon performance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are you able to verify the DCS ethernet connection speed? If its 100Mbit, you're better of connecting through a switch capable of "converting" 100Mbit to 1Gb. 100Mbit connections do degrade online streaming services quality / Roon performance.

Can I ask why such need? Streaming bandwidths are much lower than this value and are always buffered.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Can I ask why such need? Streaming bandwidths are much lower than this value and are always buffered.

Lower link utilisation combined with lower active times "sounds better". If you bridge 2 network adapters inside a server they will both run at the lowest speed interface. If you setup a separate network stack inside the server for connecting to the ethernet renderer enabling the other adapter to keep running at 1Gb the additional processes hurt sound quality.

Practically what this will do is increase the sound quality delta between online streaming services and network based sources like a NAS and locally stored files. At 100Mbit speeds, browsing Roon while playing music will become audible, even keeping Roon remote active will be audible. When using the Extreme this is not audible at 1Gb (or higher) speeds.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lower link utilisation combined with lower active times "sounds better". If you bridge 2 network adapters inside a server they will both run at the lowest speed interface. If you setup a separate network stack inside the server for connecting to the ethernet renderer enabling the other adapter to keep running at 1Gb the additional processes hurt sound quality.

Practically what this will do is increase the sound quality delta between online streaming services and network based sources like a NAS and locally stored files. At 100Mbit speeds, browsing Roon while playing music will become audible, even keeping Roon remote active will be audible. When using the Extreme this is not audible at 1Gb (or higher) speeds.

Are you addressing the RJ45 connection between server and DAC?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, although it partially applies there aswell.

OK, my question only addressed the RJ45 connection between server and DAC, nothing else.
Should we conclude that connecting the Extreme to a DAC using 100Mbit ethernet compromises the possible sound quality of this mode?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing