Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I received the shipment about an hour ago and it took me about 30 minutes to get up and running without the DC power distributor. However, I noticed that the wall wart was not making a good connection with the router and the router power was going off and on. So, I added the DC distributor and that’s when all the issues started.

Roon keeps cutting in and out since it can’t find the core. If I do a network scan I can see the Extreme but Roon doesn’t think it is there.

If I go into XDMS I cannot connect.

I can’t tell if this is an XDMS issue or switch issue.

Powercycle the switch OR unplug / replug the DAC cable into the Extreme. SFP ports do not autonegotiate / do not automatically re-establish a network connection after it went down / do not fetch a new ip address automatically like rj45.

Aka your router needs to be up and running before the switch.

And yeah you do really need a 11 or 14mm long DC plug. 8 mm is too short as you lose about 3mm of that because of the chassis/shielding.

I did repower the switch but the network does not see the Extreme.

I am up and running now. I will see if the connection is consistent.

If the Extreme needs to be rebooted will we have to also power cycle the switch?

That sounds interesting.
Could you please share what amps you used and for what reason you liked / disliked them ?
What are you using now and why ?
I know you had Jadis, Audinet, Alnico . Top performers .

Went through a lot, currently using Conrad Johnson Art88 / Art108. Who would’ve thought :) They have some very useful attributes being a combination of a really high resolution combined with an absence of listening fatigue, I can easily run meaningful comparisons for 8-12 hours straight.. The stock tubes are not great though, sorry to have to say that, but those are easy to upgrade.

Having helped a few people with various issues, here is what generally works for everybody if things are connected properly but you have connectivity issues.

1. Power OFF the router and the switch by unplugging their DC cables. Turn OFF the Extreme from the button on the front. Leave the DC Distributor (if you have one) powered ON.
2. Power ON the router first. Wait 2 minutes.
3. Power ON the switch. Wait 1 minute.
4. Power ON the Taiko Extreme.
5. Connect to the Taiko WiFI.
Technically fetch IP in XDMS should work at this point (from the device connected to the Taiko WiFi network). If it does not, you can run an IP scanner to discover the Extreme's IP address.
Roon should also work automatically from the device connected to the Taiko WiFi. If it does not, try restarting the Roon app on your tablet/computer. In any case, make you sure you are connected to the Taiko WiFi network.

Has anyone with an order date of May 2 or higher received a notice from DHL?

The 2 new units are as solidly built as can be and the packaging is perfect.

The DHL driver asked me if I was getting gold bars. I said “sort of!”

Having helped a few people with various issues, here is what generally works for everybody if things are connected properly but you have connectivity issues.

1. Power OFF the router and the switch by unplugging their DC cables. Turn OFF the Extreme from the button on the front. Leave the DC Distributor (if you have one) powered ON.
Technically fetch IP in XDMS should work at this point (from the device connected to the Taiko WiFi network). If it does not, you can run an IP scanner to discover the Extreme's IP address.
Roon should also work automatically from the device connected to the Taiko WiFi. If it does not, try restarting the Roon app on your tablet/computer. In any case, make you sure you are connected to the Taiko WiFi network.

Excellent procedure!

Additionally, Roon remotes should actually also work from the upstream network, the router is setup to allow Roon discovery from the “wan” side, in this case your “wan” is your current home network.

Aka Roon remote should also work when you are connected to your home wi-fi network and not to the “taiko audio” wi-fi.

Technically fetch IP in XDMS should work at this point (from the device connected to the Taiko WiFi network). If it does not, you can run an IP scanner to discover the Extreme's IP address.Yu
Hi Nenon. It’s my understanding that if you have everything connected but can’t connect with Wi-Fi unplug the power from DCD and plug back in. Doing this powers up the router and switch and once green lights on router are flashing remove DAC from NIC and plug back in. This gets me connected 100% of time Staying connected is sometimes the issue.

If someone is willing to cough up an additional Euro 2,868,120 we’re willing to try and machine a switch or router from solid gold billet.

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches
If someone is willing to cough up an additional Euro 79.641 we’re willing to try and machine a switch or router from solid gold billet.
It makes no sense to make a router or switch in solid gold if the BPS is not. That would be way too embarrassing to explain to visitors not to mention making sleeping at night difficult.

Excellent procedure!

Additionally, Roon remotes should actually also work from the upstream network, the router is setup to allow Roon discovery from the “wan” side, in this case your “wan” is your current home network.

Aka Roon remote should also work when you are connected to your home wi-fi network and not to the “taiko audio” wi-fi.

I am on my home network but I can’t see my Roon core. I need to investigate.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Gold bars? That sounds like they got the address wrong and it was supposed to go to one of my NJ senators!

Hello, I don't buy already the switch and ethernet card, I only improve the USB card for the moment. I own already a SOTM switch, XDMS is clearly more transparent than Roon and it's difficult to go back to Roon. Recently I plug my SOTM clock to the switch and I was really surprise of the clear improvement of Roon in this configuration. And this afternoon it was really pleasant to discover music thanks to Roon algo.
Edward last day explain me that the main difference with Taiko Switch is that you can listen Roon with him. If someone can explain me with simple words how it works because sometimes this forum is for experts and I am not one of them. Right now I have one Sotm psu on my internet box, one on my switch and one for my clock and two ethernet CAT 7 with filters SOTM between box / Switch / extreme and my usb is FTA Sinope. What can add the Taiko switch, and can I use my SOTM PSU for it?

Last edited:
Hi Nenon. It’s my understanding that if you have everything connected but can’t connect with Wi-Fi unplug the power from DCD and plug back in. Doing this powers up the router and switch and once green lights on router are flashing remove DAC from NIC and plug back in. This gets me connected 100% of time Staying connected is sometimes the issue.

Steve - what you are doing will work in many cases (and it obviously fixes your issue), but there are some cases it won't help with, depending on the state your Extreme is in and in what order devices have been powered up.
Powering up all devices in the order I have provided should work universally.
Of course if you have found an easier way, by all means, stick to it. It just won't work universally.

+1
Many laptops don't have an ethernet connection these days... You can also connect to the Taiko Wi-Fi instead of running a cable and do the same.
I use a USB to RJ45 dongle to hard wire Ethernet to my laptop. $16 at Amazon. https://a.co/d/84nOpsY

Unfortunately, my arrival of the router and distributor yesterday coincided with me moving several pieces of equipment from one room to another room and that sort of invalidated any sonic impressions that I had once I got the router working. I did listen briefly last night and a little bit this morning and the one word that comes to mind is dimensionality.

I’m traveling out to the Hamptons this morning to pick up equipment from a customer and I have a guest tomorrow and Friday. Hopefully, after that, I’ll be able to give a better update.
Bob

I am just reading this post as I have been listening to Roon now all day but with songs that I use specifically to demo, here's my take, ...

XDMS is beautiful still but Roon sounds 3D and XDMS sounds 2D

Thank you for the time and effort to put this together.

Bob

I am just reading this post as I have been listening to Roon now all day but with songs that I use specifically to demo, here's my take, ...

XDMS is beautiful still but Roon sounds 3D and XDMS sounds 2D
Hi Steve, Yes David Hyman, the California Rhapsody owner, is visiting Brooklyn today and for the next few days. We listened to Roon only, never XDMS with the new router/DCD. It sounded amazing. Never made us think to even compare with XDMS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing