Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

No I would not recommend that.
Just to make sure: Also not recommended when the dirty router is in front of the Taiko side?

Fiber to the home - dirty router (Fritzbox 5590, fiber modem included) - dirty switch (Ediscreation, linear ps included) - (Taiko router) Taiko switch -DAC cable - Taiko extreme

Desparately trying to avoid the battery supply cost, I would need
- a linear power supply for Taiko dc distributor feeding T switch (and router)
- a second linear power supply for the dirty router
right?

Just to make sure: Also not recommended when the dirty router is in front of the Taiko side?

Fiber to the home - dirty router (Fritzbox 5590, fiber modem included) - dirty switch (Ediscreation, linear ps included) - (Taiko router) Taiko switch -DAC cable - Taiko extreme

Desparately trying to avoid the battery supply cost, I would need
- a linear power supply for Taiko dc distributor feeding T switch (and router)
- a second linear power supply for the dirty router
right?

Yes, spot on!

Maybe it’s too early to give recommendations for linear power supplies feeding Taiko switch and Taiko router.
Right now I own a Ferrum Hypsos with my current Swisscom router.

Ferrum Hypsos: good enough for Taiko switch & Taiko router or a mismatch?
If mismatch, then I‘d keep it for the dirty router.

Recommendations for the linear power supplies?

Maybe it’s too early to give recommendations for linear power supplies feeding Taiko switch and Taiko router.
Right now I own a Ferrum Hypsos with my current Swisscom router.

Ferrum Hypsos: good enough for Taiko switch & Taiko router or a mismatch?
If mismatch, then I‘d keep it for the dirty router.

Recommendations for the linear power supplies?

Well much less critical with the DC Distributor, and you can adjust the balance using the ALT filters. Still it will interact with your mains supply, I have no experience with the Ferrum Hypsos but it's aninteresting design.

If ur getting the distributor it makes sense to wait and see. Personally I’m using the plixir which @CKKeung recommended very highly with the taiko switch.

Reactions: CKKeung
Btw is there a reason why if one gets the distributor then the dac cable is vastly preferred?

I would only use the wall wart for functionality testing.

I wish I hadn't sold my Paul Haynes lps, which I did after getting on the taiko train and away from the diy track, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore (wrong choice).

I have a couple of hdplex300 powering most of my networking and nas equipment in the basement.

I was waiting for the router before deciding on an lps (or 2). I'm glad I did as now the power distributor changes my strategy and I only need a single rail lps.

On the positive side, I can look forward to further SQ improvements from the switch as well as the SQ benefits from the router.

The cherry on top is I can use the power distributor to also power my sotm USB to aes/ebu reclocker....unless that would be considered a "dirty" component and would be contraindicated here. What do you think @Emile?

Last edited:
Yes, spot on!
Since it is not good to use the Power Distributor to power the ISP Modem-Router, it would be correct to use one rail of the Paul Hynes for the Power Distributor and the other rail for the ISP Modem Router, or for the ISP Modem Router it would be better to use a second LPS.

jelt2359 said:
Btw is there a reason why if one gets the distributor then the dac cable is vastly preferred?

That directly interconnects the Switch and Router grounds.

If one uses an LPS such as the Uptone JS-2 with 2 rails, would that also serve to connect the grounds of the Router and Switch (assuming a DAC cable connects the Router to the Switch?

I wish I hadn't sold my Paul Haynes lps, which I did after getting on the taiko train and away from the diy track, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore (wrong choice).

I have a couple of hdplex300 powering most of my networking and nas equipment in the basement.

I was waiting for the router before deciding on an lps (or 2). I'm glad I did as now the power distributor changes my strategy and I only need a single rail lps.

On the positive side, I can look forward to further SQ improvements from the switch as well as the SQ benefits from the router.

The cherry on top is I can use the power distributor to also power my sotm USB to aes/ebu reclocker....unless that would be considered a "dirty" component and would be contraindicated here. What do you think @Emile?

That’s a component I’d definitely put in the “clean DC zone”!

Reactions: cat6man
Since it is not good to use the Power Distributor to power the ISP Modem-Router, it would be correct to use one rail of the Paul Hynes for the Power Distributor and the other rail for the ISP Modem Router, or for the ISP Modem Router it would be better to use a second LPS.

Second LPS, those 2 rails do not “isolate” as much as you’d think.

If one uses an LPS such as the Uptone JS-2 with 2 rails, would that also serve to connect the grounds of the Router and Switch (assuming a DAC cable connects the Router to the Switch?

I should probably clarify that 2 “rails” is usually 2 regulators on the same single “rail” and therefore can be considered as one single powersupply.

Emile, this might be an unreasonable request, but surely you've had good deal of experience designing the DC distributor and tailoring its sound with filters using some specific LPS units as well as a more veritable BPS. Can you provide a list (I've avoided the word "recommendation") of some LPS units on which you found the distributor to work with particularly well?

Emile, this might be an unreasonable request, but surely you've had good deal of experience designing the DC distributor and tailoring its sound with filters using some specific LPS units as well as a more veritable BPS. Can you provide a list (I've avoided the word "recommendation") of some LPS units on which you found the distributor to work with particularly well?

I don’t use commercially available brands but have a wide range of supplies of our own design. Conceptually there’s nothing much mystery in powersupply design, your JS-2 for example is a choke input design providing very good ripple rejection freeing up the regulators from that duty “allowing” for less “sophisticated” regulators to be used, in this case high current capable “off the shelf” ones while keeping good performance at the very reasonable, one could even say bargain, pricing Uptone offers their products for. This would be a very good candidate for powering the DC distributor as it’s very “gentle” on the AC side of the supply with a lower noise (lower current peaks) rectifier section (AC to DC conversion) then more commonly used, the lower noise rejection of the regulators would be largely irrelevant with the additional filtering the DC distributor provides.

I'm in my normal state of mind -- a little confused. I had the idea from somewhere that an inexpensive wireless access point was being included with the Taiko router. Evidently that was aspirational?

So with the preferred method of integrating the Taiko router into the home LAN being to run copper ethernet from a "dirty side" switch or router (closest to the modem) to the input port on the Taiko router, which is acting as the gate-keeper for audio-only traffic by addressing a different domain of IP addresses downstream of the Taiko router I am puzzled what we are to do about connecting our wireless control device(s) (iPad, Android, etc) to the "clean" side audio-only network segment. Buy an inexpensive wireless access point and plug it into one of the ports on the Taiko router? Run a cable from iPad to the Taiko router?

Is the recent port forwarding thread to indicate that we can connect our wireless XDMS or Roon control devices to our existing "dirty side" wireless network and successfully control the Extreme?

Just trying to be prepared for the arrival of my shiny new Taiko router.

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing