Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I have two of the D3 Setchi's, one is with a USB connection and the other a LAN connection. I found that the LAN one caused issues with my switch so I had to remove it. They are demo's units and Emile was telling me how transformational it was with Mike Lavigne's Select DAC. I hope Mike chimes in so I can find out how he got on with it.

I have a D3 on my Bespoke Silver passive preamp and a D2 on my Select Transport.
Very nice effect!

Reactions: Taiko Audio
And one D2 on my home breaker-box metallic chassis too.
:cool:

I have a D3 on my Bespoke Silver passive preamp and a D2 on my Select Transport.
Very nice effect!
What sort of connection do you use and whereabouts have you placed it?

Can you describe the effect on SQ that it has had please?

What sort of connection do you use and whereabouts have you placed it?

Can you describe the effect on SQ that it has had please?
Both the preamp/transport Setchis are connected to unused rca connectors.
The breaker-box chassis D2 has a spade connector.

In my system, D2's main effect is making the sound quieter yet more vibrant/vivid.
D3 is mellower and suits my silver Bespoke passive preamp more.

I have two of the D3 Setchi's, one is with a USB connection and the other a LAN connection. I found that the LAN one caused issues with my switch so I had to remove it. They are demo's units and Emile was telling me how transformational it was with Mike Lavigne's Select DAC. I hope Mike chimes in so I can find out how he got on with it.

Did you use DAIZA???

Setchi D-3 is wonderful grounding box.

But I think DAIZA is more fantastic product than Setchi D-3.

Emile also said his no. 1 masterpiece is DAIZA.

Hi isquirrel,

It was nice at first, but it was removed later on. Then again it was there for a long time, the battery may have ran out.

Last edited:
Reactions: onsionsi
For the first time I have no inclination to play records.

I had the exact same feeling when I got mine. The Extreme plus Roon is like surfing the internet of music at warp speed

I have a Taiko extreme in my system now. Its five days old, and been on 24/7 burn in. Using a Stage III Statement USB cable into my Pro USB module.

I have upgraded from an Aurender W20, I really wanted not to like the Extreme, but I was absolutely floored by its sound and its only getting better every day. Emile tells me they sound best at 1,200 hours, I am at 300 and it sounds freaking awesome into the Select.

For the first time I have no inclination to play records.

View attachment 58968
Don't say that Lol. Playing records is a primeval thing, an instinctual drive, that marries man's traditional impulse to handle stuff, and his modern impulse to fuss and worry Lol.

Reactions: Blackmorec
Don't say that Lol. Playing records is a primeval thing, an instinctual drive, that marries man's traditional impulse to handle stuff, and his modern impulse to fuss and worry Lol.

Sure. I handle my iPad:)

...and the fussing and the worrying?

...and the fussing and the worrying?

I literally NEVER fuss, worry or really ever do anything at this point with my digital. I just pick up the iPad and hit play and enjoy the music.

I'm just about to buy a current modern car, the epitome of reliability and fuel economy. It'll be up against my hugely tactile and "in the moment" 1968 Citroën. The driving experiences will be very different. Will I naturally veer to modern and fuss free?

I'm just about to buy a current modern car, the epitome of reliability and fuel economy. It'll be up against my hugely tactile and "in the moment" 1968 Citroën. The driving experiences will be very different. Will I naturally veer to modern and fuss free?

If you enjoy the driving experience, although it might be "different" in the new ride, and gain the fuss free advantage, then I think you will like it.

If you don't enjoy the driving experience and just get the fuss free, then maybe, maybe not:)

Bob, just a very flaky analogy to the analog handling/fuss/on the edge experience ie old car w no ABS etc, versus Extreme which seems to take all the stress out of getting to the perfect listening experience.

Although on the EtherRegen thread, they're talking about multiple switches and LPSs. More complexity again.

Bob, just a very flaky analogy to the analog handling/fuss/on the edge experience ie old car w no ABS etc, versus Extreme which seems to take all the stress out of getting to the perfect listening experience.

Although on the EtherRegen thread, they're talking about multiple switches and LPSs. More complexity again.

I am following that thread, but I will just wait until Emile has had a chance to test it all out and then if he gives the green light, I'll add it. I'm lazy I just follow Emile regarding digital.

My sound is so good now that I don't care if it gets any better, but sure if something makes it better, when it is confirmed and easily inserted count me in.

Amen to that.

the loss will be purely in the realm of cultural identity and hipness. you will need to be taught new muscle memory for how things work. but that's analogous to moving your furniture. it's merely different and we learn to cope.

if it makes your life better, then maybe a veer toward modern will be easier all around.

the safety part of modern as far as a vehicle goes might save your life.

But Mike, without picking at the usual analog v digital argument, and no matter how close Extreme/Select is taking you to bliss, I know that you like all guys innoculated to lps, still love the whole ceremony.

If I had the cash, would I want a modern high performance Porsche where everything is taken care of, or a Singer restoration 70s or 80s 911, where the ride is truly more visceral and in the moment.

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear has often admitted he hates the current move to ABS and full automation of the driving experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing