Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve, if you can unscrew your stock feet would the ideal place for the CS be in the original location of the stock feet? Presunably the chassis is a little bit more robust in those 4 areas?

Reactions: christoph
Steve, if you can unscrew your stock feet would the ideal place for the CS be in the original location of the stock feet? Presunably the chassis is a little bit more robust in those 4 areas?
There’s really no need. Plus, sometimes when you remove the screw to the footer you’re left with a loose nut inside the chassis. It’s just not necessary

some in USA already got their EtherRegen swich.
very positive first listening impressions are posted already But with much lower quality streamers
where everthing metters.

I wish someone with Extreme in the room will test if this is a good or bad idea for top server.
They say you can connect it via SFP optical direct to the extreme FO slot.
The only dowside is that this is 100 mb limit on the other side.
SFP cage is 1g but the other side of the moat is 100 mb only.
In this case other options might be still better.
please let us know if someone tested it already with Extreme.

Reactions: matthias
some in USA already got their EtherRegen swich.
very positive first listening impressions are posted already But with much lower quality streamers
where everthing metters.

I wish someone with Extreme in the room will test if this is a good or bad idea for top server.
They say you can connect it via SFP optical direct to the extreme FO slot.
The only dowside is that this is 100 mb limit on the other side.
SFP cage is 1g but the other side of the moat is 100 mb only.
In this case other options might be still better.
please let us know if someone tested it already with Extreme.

I look at the Extreme as a 2 cable super high tech device. Ethernet in and USB out. I have zero issues and have always used the "KISS" technique or keep it simple stupid. it was that easy. I never see a reason to try to out think a developer regarding his product

In the poll above over 82% of users seem to use their Extreme in the same way. What benefit do you expect to derive that otherwise would be absent without the Ether Regen switch

I look at the Extreme as a 2 cable super high tech device. Ethernet in and USB out. I have zero issues and have always used the "KISS" technique or keep it simple stupid. it was that easy. I never see a reason to try to out think a developer regarding his product

In the poll above over 82% of users seem to use their Extreme in the same way. What benefit do you expect to derive that otherwise would be absent without the Ether Regen switch

Couldn't there be "noise" in the upstream Ethernet signal which the EtherRegen is designed to reduce or eliminate?

I suppose there could be. I’m certainly not hearing it in my system that I am aware

Sometimes you don't know something is there until it's not there:)

Sometimes you don't know something is there until it's not there:)

Isn't there just here with a T?

2nd minute into the video

Reactions: dctom and dminches
As far as I’m understanding this thread the Extreme is an extremely thoroughly designed, developed and optimised piece of kit for local and remote streaming, but with the information on footers, USB cables and fibre optics, we see that its still not immune from its environment. The enemies of great digital sound are, amongst other things:
  • Vibration
  • Conducted EMI
  • Radiated EMI and RFI
  • Jitter and resulting phase noise
  • Mains distortion, noise and sub optimal earthing
The Extreme has several measures to address/minimise these issues but its still vulnerable to certain aspects of its installation environment.
The casework of the Extreme is built to exclude EMI & RFI and is as optimum as it can probably get given the thorough approach.
The fibre optic input is the definitive way to isolate and therefore avoid conducted EMI and the only noise from this source is going to come from the conversion of light to volts
Vibration is still an issue and we see from previous posts that the Extreme benefits from careful siting that includes at least external vibration reduction
The Extreme includes a very robust power supply, so internal power seems to be highly optimised and stable
Which leaves; conducted and radiated EMI and RFI picked up and transmitted by cables and the mains supply and jitter and phase noise.

The EtherRegen is designed to address exactly those issues, isolating the ethernet feed from conducted noise and reclocking the data. Again as i understand, the Extreme is designed to work with asynchronous DACS, so reclocking of the incoming data stream SHOULD have no effect. However other top class installations have without exception (as far as I’m aware) always shown benefits from greater upstream clock accuracy, so its probably just as important for the Extreme. Maybe its designers could comment on internal measures taken to clean-up and retime the incoming data stream.
I’ve spent a lot of time in ridding my system of the above digital nasties and the results are considerable in terms off achieving fully immersive, highly involving, complex, natural sounding and highly addictive music. I could imagine that adding an EtherRegen could be the cherry on top of the cake....especially considering its price.

Reactions: Kris

Steve.
I hope to do the same. Plug in and forget.
The only difference is I plan to add Third cabele.
The power cable.
This must be a self powering exterme in your system if you use 2 cables Only.

As far as I’m understanding this thread the Extreme is an extremely thoroughly designed, developed and optimised piece of kit for local and remote streaming, but with the information on footers, USB cables and fibre optics, we see that its still not immune from its environment. The enemies of great digital sound are, amongst other things:
  • Vibration
  • Conducted EMI
  • Radiated EMI and RFI
  • Jitter and resulting phase noise
  • Mains distortion, noise and sub optimal earthing
The Extreme has several measures to address/minimise these issues but its still vulnerable to certain aspects of its installation environment.
The casework of the Extreme is built to exclude EMI & RFI and is as optimum as it can probably get given the thorough approach.
The fibre optic input is the definitive way to isolate and therefore avoid conducted EMI and the only noise from this source is going to come from the conversion of light to volts
Vibration is still an issue and we see from previous posts that the Extreme benefits from careful siting that includes at least external vibration reduction
The Extreme includes a very robust power supply, so internal power seems to be highly optimised and stable
Which leaves; conducted and radiated EMI and RFI picked up and transmitted by cables and the mains supply and jitter and phase noise.

The EtherRegen is designed to address exactly those issues, isolating the ethernet feed from conducted noise and reclocking the data. Again as i understand, the Extreme is designed to work with asynchronous DACS, so reclocking of the incoming data stream SHOULD have no effect. However other top class installations have without exception (as far as I’m aware) always shown benefits from greater upstream clock accuracy, so its probably just as important for the Extreme. Maybe its designers could comment on internal measures taken to clean-up and retime the incoming data stream.
I’ve spent a lot of time in ridding my system of the above digital nasties and the results are considerable in terms off achieving fully immersive, highly involving, complex, natural sounding and highly addictive music. I could imagine that adding an EtherRegen could be the cherry on top of the cake....especially considering its price.

This is exactly what I think.
I am sure Emile Is the right person to answer your question.

Extreme might be seen as a very nice fast car.
Creating a little better road / highway for this car will give it a chance to shine and perform little better.

I can imagine that it would be a benefit to have the ER between a WLAN repeater and the Extreme when feeding the Extreme with a signal via WiFi.

Matt

I look at the Extreme as a 2 cable super high tech device. Ethernet in and USB out. I have zero issues and have always used the "KISS" technique or keep it simple stupid. (...)

Well, for me KISS means asking Emile :)!

What can we put in this slot to make the Extreme sound better? Connecting it optically to the EtherRegen would give us a real sound quality improvement?
a1.jpg

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Connecting it optically to the EtherRegen would give us a real sound quality improvement?

I do not think that optical sounds better than copper with the EtherRegen.

Matt

Unfortunately I cannot make foolproof recommendations here as the network setups / environments are different everywhere. Similar to a powercord, interconnect or a footer not having the same effect in every system.

Some examples:
-Most people do prefer using the fiber network input of the Extreme with the Startech components recommended by me earlier in the thread. But if you use a 2 meter fiber optic cable to a SMPS powered FMC which plugs into the same circuit, you will likely not be happy. If you have a 10 meter or longer fiber optic cable and the SMPS powered FMC is spaced well away from your system, most people like it. This is an area where powering the FMC with a Linear Power Supply can help. But Linear Powersupplies have their signature too. I have customer feedback where they replaced that SMPS with a LPS and are not happy with the result.
-The much discussed SOTM switch. I have customers loving them, I also have customers who bought and stacked 2 of them and tell me it sounds different but they do not enjoy what it does.
-Then I have customers who bought an audiophile copper network cable and they don't like fiber at all.

Furthermore, the earlier recommended Intona USB isolator, some love it, some hate it, it does not work with every dac, I should really pull that recommendation.

The bottom line is, networking is tweakable, it makes a difference, but there is no universally applicable recommendation. The only consistent factor is the differences network tweaking makes is less influential with the Extreme compared to other less purposely built machines.

I do not think that optical sounds better than copper with the EtherRegen.

Matt

That is certainly how it is designed. Whether you go from the A-side to the B-side or vice versa, the sound should be the "same."

A truer word has. Ever been spoken. I know what you mean.
Steve.
I hope to do the same. Plug in and forget.
The only difference is I plan to add Third cabele.
The power cable.
This must be a self powering exterme in your system if you use 2 cables Only.
I use a Masterbuilt Ultra Power cord. Can’t get better than that IMO

I must have gotten lucky as for me and my ears I get what I consider fabulous sound

I use only the following

1. Triode Wire Labs Ethernet Cable from router to Extreme
2. Masterbuilt Ultra USB cable from Extreme to a 12 year old DAC via a USB Xlll Box with optical fiber from the box to the DAC
3. Center Stage 1.5 footers under the Extreme
4. Same Center Stage Feet are between the Extreme and the top top of my Masterbuilt Shelf
I have zero desire to do anything else as I am not hearing anything else(except great music) that would make me want to add anything else in the signal pathway
The responsiveness of the Extreme to quickly change from one format to another is simply impressive. I am a happy camper with my set up the way it is

Only other change I am making involves a new DAC set to arrive next month. In the meanwhile using my PlayBack Designs MP S-5 allows me to play files up to 384 and DSD256

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing