Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I’ve dedicated 1 125A phase from it for audio, wiring is AWG O to the systems, there’s just a single blade fuse
Wow! :cool:
I have just one dedicated phase AWG 5 into my listening room.

Matt

I was asking about a DAC or Amp in general (not a Taiko future DAC).

I thought it was mentioned the BPS could be used with a DAC? So, for instance, with my Nagra DAC and it's separate power supply, could the Taiko battery supply actually take the place of the Nagra PSU, or feed the Nagra PSU, or neither?

I basically don't understand the relationship between the Taiko battery supply and other (non-battery) power supplies.

I was asking about a DAC or Amp in general (not a Taiko future DAC).

I thought it was mentioned the BPS could be used with a DAC? So, for instance, with my Nagra DAC and it's separate power supply, could the Taiko battery supply actually take the place of the Nagra PSU, or feed the Nagra PSU, or neither?

I basically don't understand the relationship between the Taiko battery supply and other (non-battery) power supplies.
The BPS is a DC (battery) to DC power supply. The only time there is an AC to DC conversion is for recharging the battery.

So if your component can accept a DC input to power it up, it could be supplied by the Taiko BPS if the requirements of the component are within the voltage and current capacity of whatever DC-DC module(s) are installed on the DC-DC carrier board.

Alternatively, if you are willing to open the case of your component to bypass its existing AC to DC power supply like some Chord DAVE users have done, you could supply the required DC voltage from the Taiko BPS.

With the DC-DC carrier board and modules installed in the Extreme you would of course have to provide the cabling to get the desired DC voltage(s) out of the Extreme and into whatever additional component you would be powering.

Steve Z

IIUC, the Taiko BPS feeds with a certain DC voltage the UHQ Taiko DC-DC SMPS (top board from page 530), so both work together.
It makes no sense to feed any devices directly from the battery DC voltage without using the Taiko SMPS.

Matt

There is a safety concern here, hence all connected devices will need to have a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip installed with a Taiko key communicating with the BPS to enable a DC output. The BPS can supply over 1000A of instantaneous current, I accidentally liquified a M6 bolt with it once.

Last edited:
There is a security concern here, hence all connected devices will need to have a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip installed with a Taiko key communicating with the BPS to enable a DC output. The BPS can supply over 1000A of instantaneous current, I accidentally liquified a M6 bolt with it once.
So it could be marketed as a portable welder too.

Ok, so let me sum this up...
The BPS will have 3 DC output rails that can be configured to any or at least the most common DC voltages. Potentially the number of outputs could be enhanced. So, i.e. one for the Extreme, one for the switch, one for the router (iirc the network card was confirmed to be powered internally by the Extreme similar to the USB card). And all of this would fit into a 16 x16" case with a capacity of several hours of playback. If one would want to power additional devices like a dac, pre, etc, would this be possible from the same physical device or would it require an additional device? Really looking forward to this! Great achievement, team Taiko!!

Reactions: CKKeung
Will it be the same height as existing Extreme?
I hope it has the same footprint as the current extreme but only a couple of inches high and designed to sit on top of the extreme thus not necessitating another rack space. The extreme gets pretty warm though, so not sure if this is feasible.

Reactions: fizzletop
I hope it has the same footprint as the current extreme but only a couple of inches high and designed to sit on top of the extreme thus not necessitating another rack space. The extreme gets pretty warm though, so not sure if this is feasible.
I agree. I hope I don’t need another shelf.

the battery stuff is very exciting for the medium term (2H2022?)

any update on how the XMDS software is progressing?

Will it be the same height as existing Extreme?

It‘ll require a full sized chassis, from about 6*16*16“. We‘re working on the cases now, should have something to show you soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing