Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Not 7 boxes but i have 6 , the clock is a cybershaft rather than ch.The ch does very well with TAS - there is a performance boost there and again. can;t activate hqp on my tas though - ? not installed. maybe edward can help with that?
For your CH Dac, HQP is not an interesting option from a SQ PoV

The presentation of notes is "stretched out" so that you can clearly hear the amount of pressure from each finger of each key when a piano is being played and when a chord is played you can hear the distinct different notes that make up the sound of the chord.

this is exactly what i heard, about 3 years ago, when i had "magic" in my system for a few months (which i sadly and foolishly lost by changing things, back in the days when we didn't understand why everything matters in digital). i thought of it then as "slowing down time", i could hear more in each note, the interplay between players, and subjectively thinking that time was stretched to allow me to hear all of that.

one of the main reasons i purchased my extreme, sight and sound unseen/unheard, was that the descriptions here were so consonant with and evocative of exactly what i was searching for in SQ.

i still have not heard it............arrived yesterday, music being copied now, TAS/beta scheduled for tomorrow

i'm looking forward to "magic on steroids"

Interesting :)
Does TAS sound even better when Roon is NOT installed on the Extreme?
Thanks

Matt

as the odd duck who detests the roon interface and would never use it under any circumstances, i am very interested in how this plays out

this is exactly what i heard, about 3 years ago, when i had "magic" in my system for a few months (which i sadly and foolishly lost by changing things, back in the days when we didn't understand why everything matters in digital). i thought of it then as "slowing down time", i could hear more in each note, the interplay between players, and subjectively thinking that time was stretched to allow me to hear all of that.

one of the main reasons i purchased my extreme, sight and sound unseen/unheard, was that the descriptions here were so consonant with and evocative of exactly what i was searching for in SQ.

i still have not heard it............arrived yesterday, music being copied now, TAS/beta scheduled for tomorrow

i'm looking forward to "magic on steroids"
But you have to be patient about burn in

TAS makes burn in even more noticeable

Wil,

I can't remember exactly but what is the size of your room? I don't know your speakers or your amp, but I think I remember that your space is fairly large. How far do you sit from your speakers? I'm just curious because if your space is really large and you sit a farther distance from your speakers then it would probably make sense that you are hearing a different presentation vs. say what I am hearing.

I am in a near field listening set up, with the speakers 10' out from the back wall and sitting about 8's from the speakers. It's like being in the soundstage. It's my personal listening preference and always has been, probably because I've played on stage in years gone by and played the piano and guitar forever so I like being very close to the presentation.

Just wondering why your experience is so different???
Hi Bob, My room is large, 15x45'. The Speakers, Boenicke W13's, very slightly toed, 10' from the front wall and I listen in an office chair with wheels, at different depths, depending on whether I want a more near field immersion at 8' or as far back as 12' for a more reflective acoustic. Both depths, and in between, are really nice -- just different flavors.

My guesstimates as to why I'm not in the gobsmacked mob?

1.-- Reverse Expectation Bias (REB)-- just kidding! But sometimes I wonder...

2.-- Maybe network noise is already pretty minimal here, so the noise effect delta between Roon and TAS would also be less? As far as the effects of noise, I've been wondering if the texture I hear with Roon could be a noise artifact? But I was under the impression that noise usually manifests itself as a smearing of the sound. I think I'm hearing as clearly into the recording with Roon as with TAS.

3.-- Interaction of player software with Aqua DAC/ Boenicke speakers. I believe both Aqua and Boenicke are already voiced more towards warm/mellifluous side of the audio spectrum. Are the tunings in TAS (independent of noise mitigation) also tilting toward that direction? My instincts tell me if I were still using the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD's, the TAS tonality would be awesome.

(commercial break: to anyone interested, the Mezzo's are for sale. pm me)

4. Don't have usb driver for Aqua DAC ??

I'll be listening more this weekend. And to be sure, music is sounding great (both in Roon and TAS), so no complaints -- but would no doubt like to get as much of an improvement as others are reporting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody
why is that? if a CH dac always up-samples files to 705.6kHz for dsd & 768kHz for PCM (published specs) can it do 'bit-perfect'? seems like HQP is made for it.

The CH DAC can handle the higher resolutions and sample rates, but it handles every sample rate very well.

The advantage of doing realtime upsampling will have limited upside on the CH, but with the downside of a lot more CPU activity and inescapable noise that comes with it.

This why I am pretty confident that one is better off to deliver the native format without interpolation / clever algorithms and let the CH do its DAC magic without pre DSP

Reactions: oldmustang
The CH DAC can handle the higher resolutions and sample rates, but it handles every sample rate very well.

The advantage of doing realtime upsampling will have limited upside on the CH, but with the downside of a lot more CPU activity and inescapable noise that comes with it.

This why I am pretty confident that one is better off to deliver the native format without interpolation / clever algorithms and let the CH do its DAC magic without pre DSP

so what you are saying is that CHP does it's own version of the 'HQP' thing already, so 'double-washing' the file makes it worse.

whereas apparently the Chord David has a different result with that same situation, and for whatever number of reasons benefits from HQP.

Last edited:
so what you are saying is that CHP does it's own 'HQP' thing already, so 'double-washing' the file makes it worse.
CH uses some very sophisticated data signal manipulations specifically geared to the PCM 1704 chips it uses, so yes double washing not recommended.

Similarly we would not recommend that the MSB´s be fed anything other than native format.

3 years ago we were big fans of double and even triple washing Lol

Hi Bob, My room is large, 15x45'. The Speakers, Boenicke W13's, very slightly toed, 10' from the front wall and I listen in an office chair with wheels, at different depths, depending on whether I want a more near field immersion at 8' or as far back as 12' for a more reflective acoustic. Both depths, and in between, are really nice -- just different flavors.

My guesstimates as to why I'm not in the gobsmacked mob?

1.-- Reverse Expectation Bias (REB)-- just kidding! But sometimes I wonder...

2.-- Maybe network noise is already pretty minimal here, so the noise effect delta between Roon and TAS would also be less? As far as the effects of noise, I've been wondering if the texture I hear with Roon could be a noise artifact? But I was under the impression that noise usually manifests itself as a smearing of the sound. I think I'm hearing as clearly into the recording with Roon as with TAS.

3.-- Interaction of player software with Aqua DAC/ Boenicke speakers. I believe both Aqua and Boenicke are already voiced more towards warm/mellifluous side of the audio spectrum. Are the tunings in TAS (independent of noise mitigation) also tilting toward that direction? My instincts tell me if I were still using the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD's, the TAS tonality would be awesome.

(commercial break: to anyone interested, the Mezzo's are for sale. pm me)

4. Don't have usb driver for Aqua DAC ??

I'll be listening more this weekend. And to be sure, music is sounding great (both in Roon and TAS), so no complaints -- but would no doubt like to get as much of an improvement as others are reporting!
Hi Wil,

It's the 45 ft room that to me, which on one hand is glorious, but on the other hand, sometimes subtle details, which is what I am referring to and a 3D holographic soundstage, for me anyway, as I have worked with large spaces, is a different type of experience. Not that one is better than the other, certainly not. Just different, and possibly making the TAS attributes that I am hearing and I think a lot of others as well, possibly more noticeable. Maybe, maybe not, who knows, just guessing.

I always get a BIG SOUND, with the right speakers in a large space, a more intimate sound, in a smaller space. If I was listening in a large space the incisiveness and subtleties which I am referring to with TAS I believe would be less noticeable.

There really is no way of knowing, heck I can change one power cord and tilt the sound of
the system one way.

Plus we are
listening to completely different DACs and systems. Not that it should matter as I've been hearing from "the boys" but I have a fairly complex network in front of the Extreme (Waversa W-Router, Two JCAT switches with two JCAT LPS for the Switches and router, with $10K worth of JCAT Gold signature cables connecting all of the network pieces) Along with a dedicated Fios fibre line just for this system.

Last edited:
In fact the only reason we have developed a TAS bridge for HQPlayer is because we have a group of customers owning a Chord Dave.

For this we are "extreme"-ly grateful!

Every DAC, especially at the high-end, has a very specific architecture, so achieving the best SQ comes down to optimizing the stream that the Extreme sends to it. This is one of the great strengths of TAS, as Emile & co. have sweated the details of determining exactly the right parameters required — buffer size, packet size, bit depth, etc — for each DAC their customers use.

With the DAVE in particular, and recent Chord DACs in general, enough is known about the internal architecture pipeline, thanks to Rob Watts' generous sharing of knowledge on other forums and seminars, to understand that the entire first stage of the pipeline (called WTA1) can be bypassed by supplying a 16FS sample rate (705.6/768) at the input. This is exactly what the external upsampler, the M-Scaler, does. Alternately, one can use a real-time software upsampler like HQPlayer to achieve almost, but not quite, the same SQ.

As @romaz alluded to in his review of the TAS Alpha (see below), some of us are playing with an alternate method of pre-upsampling to 32/16FS, and this is where we are hearing the best results, especially with the DAVE. PM me or @romaz for questions.

These pre-upsampled 32/705.6 or 32/768 files just need to be played bit-perfectly, and this is where we discovered that the combo of HQP and NAA (tuned by Emile with appropriate CPU and storage affinity) has outstanding SQ even when HQP is being used just as a player — i.e. without any of its filtering and noise shaping options (both set to None).

However, this again puts us in a Roon-like situation, where we are dependent on a 3rd party tool and a developer who doesn't share our priorities with regard to sound quality. For example, the recent HQP 4.90 release delivered a nice SQ boost, which then degraded again due to functional fixes in 4.92. Sound familiar to the Roon saga?!

This is where we DAVE alpha participants are actively helping Emile and team with feedback, as our goal is to get TAS+XD to outperform the HQP/NAA solution. This will put control of the software in their hands, and we trust them to address our SQ and functional needs far better than any 3rd party.

We are getting close, and I have full confidence in the team to get us there!

my method of local file playback is unique and consequently, Qobuz streaming will never quite equal local file playback. The following is a screen capture of playback of one of my reference files through Qobuz. Notice the playback streaming bit rate of 750kb/s of this Redbook file at the bottom.

View attachment 71815

Here is playback of that same track on TAS from the Extreme's local storage but note the massively increased bit rate:

View attachment 71816

The gap in bit rates is like comparing hi-res to mp3 and it sounds like it, too. Obviously, this file has been manipulated but plays back bit-perfect on TAS and sounds simply STUNNING on the Chord DAVE. This has absolutely nothing to do with HQP btw and unfortunately, seems to benefit mainly Chord DACs. If you have a Chord DAVE and an Extreme, feel free to PM me and I can share with you a file that you can listen to on TAS with your Extreme and your DAVE. This is just crazy good. If you have a Chord DAVE and don't have an Extreme, you really need to get an Extreme.

Interesting :)
Does TAS sound even better when Roon is NOT installed on the Extreme?
Thanks

Matt

rather than mess with removing Roon, why not just remove it from the list of programs at startup, so it will never be active after a power up but will still be there if someone wants it?

rather than mess with removing Roon, why not just remove it from the list of programs at startup, so it will never be active after a power up but will still be there if someone wants it?

I assume complete removing or simply not installing sounds better :)
I would not like to have an Extreme contaminated with Roon. :cool:

Matt

Last edited:
I agree with Edward
Extreme with TAS is much less sensitive to the network
but top audio swiches still make a significant difference that is must to have once heard .

I do understand Bob who invested 10s of thausends to his network swiches and power supplys.
I got also addictive with many moded Buffalo swiches with pinkfaun ultra clocks.

It is never ending story with improving all pieces in the chain
but with TAS on extreme I was able to get to the levels I never expected to be possible.
Thanks to Taiko Team we can get there .

I assume complete removing or simply not installing sounds better :)
I would not like to have an Extreme contaminated with Roon. :cool:

Matt
If Roon is not "on", as when switching to TAS, how is it affecting the Extreme?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing