Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Just bought early Nimbus issues of Genesis, Selling... and Wind... to rip for Marc’s listening pleasure.
thats what friends are for ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Barry, we already know "Trick/Tail" sounds pretty reasonable on cd, and that rip stored on your Extreme. I think I know how "Wind/Wuthering" will turn out Tidal v cd rip.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
@spiritofmusic , just gave those 2 a spin, holy batman sibilance on the Genesis track, it’s just awful here, I don’t see how you could fix that. The Rush track is not as bad as the Genesis but flat and a bit thin, it’s veiled in the midrange while being tipped up at the same time which is somewhat unusual, you would almost think a last minute EQ applied on the complete mix, perhaps they wanted the intro bell like sound effects to pop out more / sound more crystalline?

I would say that what you're hearing with those two tracks is definitely a mastering issue. I listened to those tracks when Marc posted his review, but was able to play high-resolution versions (DSD rip from SACD for Wind & Wuthering, DVD-A rip at 24/96 for YYZ from Moving Pictures), and thought they were both decent if not quite the equal of the best vinyl versions. Certainly, neither one was an ear-bleeder.

I guess I can go back and confirm by streaming them via Tidal, but from your descriptions I'm not sure if I want to subject myself to that.

I would say that using StarTech FMCs would exacerbate any tipped up, sibilant or harsh recording, as well.

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
The yellow fiber cable is Corning......possibly Corning has different fiber ranges?

They do. I looked up their glass fiber on their website and there are at least two different lines. I haven't tried either since I need a 20m run and the US vendors I found stop offering "jumpers" at 10 meters.

Steve Z

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I really had no idea remasterings could be so shocking. Extreme an extreme truth sayer in such circumstances.

Reactions: oldmustang

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Emile, from now on I'll leave Barry to play me stuff he knows sounds great on the Extreme. Catalog/golden age material that hasn't been remastered to purgatory, like the Prince Lasha and Pink Floyd we chose, or new stuff that has sympathetic sonics, like that 2020 Youssef Dayes track.

I had NO idea remasters could be quite so poor.

Just as with vinyl, when talking digital recordings, transfers or remasters, provenance is everything. There are some really execrable digital transfers/remasters out there, even to high-resolution digital. And there are some bog-standard Redbook, early CDs that are astonishingly good. I've yet to find a general rule of thumb to help me choose the right version, other than listening -- which can be expensive and frustrating. But that's where we are today.

At least with the Extreme you'll know you are hearing a recording as truthfully as possible. As the saying goes, "When it is good, it is very very good. And when it is bad, it is horrid!"

Steve Z

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess I've been kinda lucky with my vinyl. Indeed I'm not totally convinced that early pressings lord it over ones a decade later.
But remasterings really can suck. After loads of Steve Hoffman Forum-sters singing the praises of the Classic Records vinyl reissues of Genesis, including "Selling England...", I shelled out for this, to be presented with a version bereft of any real dynamics or tonal shading. My non-first (pre-cd) bog standard UK pressing walked all over it. And this Classic version is not even the infamous Nick Davis one.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The Hoffman cd re dues pretty much suck......

And once again u have turned an amazing thread into your own personal agenda......

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let me see Kingsrule, 4000+ posts extolling Extreme 100%. I leave a mini review pretty much reinforcing the unanimity. I raise what I felt were reasonable areas of concern, and now get they're more areas of mastering than the Extreme itself. And pretty much admit to that online. And I'm told by you I have a "personal agenda". No agenda on THIS side.

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing