Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

This happened to me as well. Here is what I did:

Restarted the router: System --> Reboot
After the router reboots, connect to the Taiko Audio WiFi again and login to the router and try the "Check Update" again.
I am able to log into the router and my firmware button is grey. I did a browser refresh and still grey. Then I restarted the Extreme and button still grey

Im reluctant to push the grey button. Any suggestions

Maybe I missed this but is the router firmware upgrade for security, sound quality or router functionality?

I am able to log into the router and my firmware button is grey. I did a browser refresh and still grey. Then I restarted the Extreme and button still grey

Im reluctant to push the grey button. Any suggestions
Steve - did you do the following?
"To update the firmware, click on the ‘FIRMWARE’ button or go to the ‘System’
menu, select ‘Firmware Update’ and click on the ‘Check Update’ button."

In my case, the ‘Check Update’ button did not find the new firmware.
I ended up restarting my router, and it worked for me after the restart.
It seems like you have restarted the Extreme instead... no need to restart the Extreme... my suggestion was to restart the router. You can do this either via the router's web interface (System --> Reboot) or you can unplug / plug-back-in the power on the router.

Reactions: Steve Williams
This evening after supper I started out listening to music with XDMS, which sounded excellent. But after a couple of tracks I decided to switch to Roon. Three hours later I'm still listening via Roon. No particular urge to switch back to XDMS. So this must mean Roon is sounding pretty darn good -- which it does.

I've been going back and forth as to which sounds "better" since I installed the latest adjustments to the Extreme's settings. Tonight at least I can say Roon is the one here at Rancho De Luxe.

But I reserve the right to change my mind!

IMG_2586.PNG

Steve Z

This evening after supper I started out listening to music with XDMS, which sounded excellent. But after a couple of tracks I decided to switch to Roon. Three hours later I'm still listening via Roon. No particular urge to switch back to XDMS. So this must mean Roon is sounding pretty darn good -- which it does.

I've been going back and forth as to which sounds "better" since I installed the latest adjustments to the Extreme's settings. Tonight at least I can say Roon is the one here at Rancho De Luxe.

But I reserve the right to change my mind!

View attachment 120792

Steve Z

One thing I have noticed in my system:
- When the power is really good, Roon sounds amazing, and I have no desire to switch to XDMS.
- When the power quality is bad, XDMS sounds better, smoother, with less high frequency harshness.
So my preference between Roon and XDMS is changing during different times of the the day or week. But overall Roon has been sounding great. And it's so good for discovering new music (sorry Ed, but the XDMS AI algorithm is not that advanced yet :))

Note #1: Speaking of bad AC power, where is that BPS.... :)
Note #2: Let's see what Harman will do to Roon.

I think you are onto something and that could certainly explain why my preference for one player over the other seems to be a moving target at times. It is also a plausible explanation why I've found with Roon my preference for DCD filter to the Taiko router fluctuates between Alt 1 and Alt 2.

Steve Z

I think you are onto something and that could certainly explain why my preference for one player over the other seems to be a moving target at times. It is also a plausible explanation why I've found with Roon my preference for DCD filter to the Taiko router fluctuates between Alt 1 and Alt 2.

Steve Z
I agree. And IIRC Emile said somewhere many many pages back that Roon benefited the most in the latest tweak. Having said that the end of the day there could be no wrong answer with the determining factors being how you like your music to sound , how you set your filters and your system and of course your ears and the type of music you like etc, etc . To me these are all great data points, but at the end of the day it is the XDMS sound that lights up my ears. I’m sure many will agree and many will disagree. It’s all good :cool:

One of the most frustrating things in wanting a nice music system is when one spends a (relatively) lot of money on an item only to see it become superseded down the line. Do you stick or upgrade? I find it quite irritating myself as one who will generally lean to the upgrade path - as I suspect many on here will too.

I have just recently been catching up with things on the Horizon tube rolling thread which has been quite a mind blowing experience and, when added to all of the activity here on Extreme, it’s just a whirlwind of positive, invigorating activity. Such a refreshing change from the norm.

No doubt that my front end turned out to be more expensive than I wanted it to be, but it sounds fantastic - probably as good as anything out there and definitely better than most. That’s nice to know, but it is a wonderful feeling not having to concern myself about being outdated and superseded ever again. My ambition 2 years back after the woes of COVID and lockdown was to implement a system upgrade that would be definitive and final and it feels good to actually be at that point.

Any update on the router firmware rollout?

Steve Z
Although I have to say that in my local power case I live in a semi-rural area in a small enclave of private homes, each either on their own transformer or at most sharing a transformer with one other home (my home enjoys its own transformer). There is no heavy industry within miles of my location and the closest large loads are irrigation pumps for agriculture, which are still over a mile away and are not active at this time of year. Don't discount the effect of the inductive reactance of transformers and long lengths of buried cables at smoothing out spikes and dips in electrical supply.

Having worked professionally in electrical power generation and distribution I'm very familiar with the daily load demand curve. The local variation in electrical demand represented by my own home and my neighbors is pretty minor (lights, TVs, kitchen appliances, computers, this time of the year heat pumps) and I generally listen (at least critically listen) during the same general time each evening.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes, daily variation in power supply quality is a real thing and can affect audio quality, but in my case is much less than what some folks suffer through. As a mechanism for significant differences in what I personally hear from Roon and XDMS I'm not sure that electrical power quality in the main factor.

Is it possible that Roon sound quality is driven as much or more by the user-load on Roon's back-end driving how much data Roon's servers have to deliver?

Steve Z

Reactions: kennyb123
What kind of update?
Is the Taiko router firmware update a Taiko-sourced update or the router OS manufacturer's update? I had assumed the latter. It would be interesting to find out (if it is the OEM manufacturer's update) what they have to say about it or if they have any FAQs that address this particular glitch.

Steve Z

Afaik most are up to date now, 2 or 3 pending which is being looked into..

Emile, this is the router update, not the Extreme update. Sorry for the confusion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing