Taiko Audio Extreme Router

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have no idea why overall noise floor is lower, for all sources (not just the Extreme and ATVX; i.e., the components connected to the Router) - but I love it!
The only explanation I can think of is that the Router is somehow making the Eero 7 that it is connected to quieter ??

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have no idea why overall noise floor is lower, for all sources (not just the Extreme and ATVX; i.e., the components connected to the Router) - but I love it!
The only explanation I can think of is that the Router is somehow making the Eero 7 that it is connected to quieter ??
Maybe secondary to reducing upstream noise

Christiaan Punter

Has anyone else had difficulty signing into the router settings page (192.168.100.1)?
I have entered the password many times and it's not working...
I have tried it dozens of times -- it's definitely exactly as it appears on the sticker on the underside of the router... this is getting frustrating! I cannot use it without changing the wifi channel...

EDIT: It was the Wifi password to login to the router settings page, not the "password"! Ugh. Spent way too much time trying with the non wifi password. That must have been a setup error at Taiko.

For the purpose of future reference, the text layout on the sticker on the bottom of the Router may leave room for misinterpretation. Please see the clarification below.

There are two text rows, where the left row contains the descriptors for the values on the right.

As follows:

SSID ----> TaikoAudio
WiFi Password ---> xxxxxx

The above is what you need to connect to the Taiko WiFi.

Listed next are the credentials for accessing the Router's Web Interface to make changes to the Router's settings.

As follows:

Username ---> Admin
Password ---> xxxxxx

Reactions: lwr and oldmustang

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
For the purpose of future reference, the text layout on the sticker on the bottom of the Router may leave room for misinterpretation. Please see the clarification below.

There are two text rows, where the left row contains the descriptors for the values on the right.

As follows:

SSID ----> TaikoAudio
WiFi Password ---> xxxxxx

The above is what you need to connect to the Taiko WiFi.

Listed next are the credentials for accessing the Router's Web Interface to make changes to the Router's settings.

As follows:

Username ---> Admin
Password ---> xxxxxx
In my case the passwords were reversed. Where the sticker says "Wifi Password' it was actually the Router web interface password, and vice-versa. I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot why it was not connecting to Wifi and to the router web interface.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
How can we access the Extreme desktop through VNC? Apologies if this was discussed, but I don't see it in the manual. When I use the new IP address for the Extreme, it won't connect. The error is "No Route to the Host is Known".

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
There was a sticker in my router case that has the user name and password on it, in the correct position...

Christiaan Punter

How can we access the Extreme desktop through VNC? Apologies if this was discussed, but I don't see it in the manual. When I use the new IP address for the Extreme, it won't connect. The error is "No Route to the Host is Known".
The Extreme Router creates a dedicated audio network isolated from your home network. By default, you cannot connect from the Taiko network to your home network for file sharing or VNC access. The easiest way around this is by either temporarily connecting your computer to the Taiko Router or temporarily connecting your Extreme server to the home router. Another method is to set up extra Port Forwarding rules on the Extreme Router. While this is not supported as part of the Router's default feature set, we have provided basic guidelines for this in the Router Manual.

Christiaan Punter

In my case the passwords were reversed. Where the sticker says "Wifi Password' it was actually the Router web interface password, and vice-versa. I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot why it was not connecting to Wifi and to the router web interface.
Oh, I see. That's not good... I will see if we can send an updated sticker with the correct info. To get that started, can you please send a mail to support@taikoaudio.com with your Router serial number?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The Extreme Router creates a dedicated audio network isolated from your home network. By default, you cannot connect from the Taiko network to your home network for file sharing or VNC access. The easiest way around this is by either temporarily connecting your computer to the Taiko Router or temporarily connecting your Extreme server to the home router. Another method is to set up extra Port Forwarding rules on the Extreme Router. While this is not supported as part of the Router's default feature set, we have provided basic guidelines for this in the Router Manual.
Right, thanks. I’ll try connecting a device to the Taiko WiFi and running VNC. I mainly use it to reboot the extreme.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Oh, I see. That's not good... I will see if we can send an updated sticker with the correct info. To get that started, can you please send a mail to support@taikoaudio.com with your Router serial number?
All good, Ryan already offered .
I just mentioned it here so others try it both ways if it doesn’t work initially.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The increase in clarity is incredible. I’m listening to everything again as I’ve never heard it like this.
Bass can sound leaner however; but it’s probably because it was too bloated before.

I now turn off the upstream router (eero Max 7), as I don’t stream. I’m not sure if there’s an audible difference, I haven’t compared it; but it makes intuitive sense that shutting off the upstream router will physically disconnect the Taiko Router from the upstream network noise.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The increase in clarity is incredible. I’m listening to everything again as I’ve never heard it like this.
Bass can sound leaner however; but it’s probably because it was too bloated before.

I now turn off the upstream router (eero Max 7), as I don’t stream. I’m not sure if there’s an audible difference, I haven’t compared it; but it makes intuitive sense that shutting off the upstream router will physically disconnect the Taiko Router from the upstream network noise.

It's a larger upgrade then you'd expect isn't it :) Admittedly we've gone back and forth many times on whether we even wanted to release a router because of the potential support intensity, it's obviously a much more complex device then a switch, then we went through the same back and forth on adding Wi-Fi as that complicates things even more, but the sonic results more then justify the above average effort one has to invest to incorporate an additional router, designed for audio fidelity, into your network, IMHO.

Due to the very low noise design of the router your sonic balance will be largely influenced by the noise spectrum of the power supply feeding it. This has a modulating effect on the tonal spectrum. Recognising this we developed the DC distributor which has user selectable filters you can use to change the tonal balance. Looking at it from a low frequency output perspective, it's perceived "volume" would increase going from bypass, to ALT1, to Default, to ALT2. This would go accompanied with a sensation of the LF response becoming somewhat less tight with each increase in "volume" or "density". Note this is not measurable in the frequency response at all, these filters merely filter high frequency noise in slightly different ways. An intriguing aspect of our hobby :)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It's a larger upgrade then you'd expect isn't it :)
Absolutely agree.
I still don’t understand why overall noise floor is lower: i.e., nothing playing, DAC off, just listening to background ’hiss’ through the speakers. (Yes, hiss should not even be audible; and DarTZeel is addressing this shortly - it turns out the 18NS preamp is not that well suited to very high efficiency horns; but that’s another topic.)

Therefore, the fact that noise is audible allows me to hear changes, and the Taiko Router absolutely reduced it! My only guess as to why is that it’s somehow made the Eero Max 7 cleaner, in other words it reduced noise in an upstream router?!

Also, the benefits on the A/V side are a significant bonus, which is phenomenal. Video is clearer, audio is more localized, and noise floor is lower.

I did try to connect the Trinnov to the wireless TaikoAudio network; and it didn’t work. I of course do not expect Taiko to support this; but perhaps someone here knows why. The Trinnov Altitude 32 did get an IP and the iOS Trinnov app saw the unit (with the iPad on the Taiko SSID); but I could not connect to the Trinnov - I kept getting a timeout error. Given the great results I got by connecting the Apple TV “X” to the Router (via Ethernet), I thought I should also connect the Trinnov to the Router (via Wifi - Ethernet is not feasible). (The Altitude is a custom PC that performs multichannel audio processing and is controlled by an iPad over a network, similar to the Extreme/XDMS in this regard).

Last edited:

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
I did try to connect the Trinnov to the wireless TaikoAudio network; and it didn’t work. I of course do not expect Taiko to support this; but perhaps someone here knows why. The Trinnov Altitude 32 did get an IP and the iOS Trinnov app saw the unit (with the iPad on the Taiko SSID); but I could not connect to the Trinnov - I kept getting a timeout error. Given the great results I got by connecting the Apple TV “X” to the Router (via Ethernet), I thought I should also connect the Trinnov to the Router (via Wifi - Ethernet is not feasible). (The Altitude is a custom PC that performs multichannel audio processing and is controlled by an iPad over a network, similar to the Extreme/XDMS in this regard).

So these are 2 separate devices, right? One is Trinnov and the other one is Altitude? And both were connected to the Taiko WiFi and received 192.168.100.xxx IP addresses?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Need some help ! went over all settings in router everything looks good but I can't map drive all I see is usb

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpeg
    IMG_1354.jpeg
    981.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1355.jpeg
    IMG_1355.jpeg
    913.9 KB · Views: 7

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Need some help ! went over all settings in router everything looks good but I can't map drive all I see is usb

The drive needs to be formatted with an ext4 filesystem as the Router runs a linux operating system. We have assigned some resources last week to integrate support for other filesystems as although this functionality has not been used thus far recent development suddenly makes this an interesting application.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
The drive needs to be formatted with an ext4 filesystem as the Router runs a linux operating system. We have assigned some resources last week to integrate support for other filesystems as although this functionality has not been used thus far recent development suddenly makes this an interesting application.
what drive needs to be formatted ? I'm trying to access my D drive on extreme ? I don't have a USB drive anywhere . I just want to Access to my Extreme music folder

Last edited:

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
what drive needs to be formatted ? I'm trying to access my D drive on extreme ? I don't have a USB drive anywhere . I just want to Access to my Extreme music folder
Hi, the only files you'll see from the networked router is if a USB drive is attached to it. If you'd like to manipulate the D drive on the Extreme, attach a computer or iPad to the router wirelessly and use VNC to view the Extreme file system.

Reactions: oldmustang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi, the only files you'll see from the networked router is if a USB drive is attached to it. If you'd like to manipulate the D drive on the Extreme, attach a computer or iPad to the router wirelessly and use VNC to view the Extreme file system.

that is not true. You can set up port forwarding and see the drives on the Extreme from a computer on a different subnet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing