Taiko Audio Extreme DC Power Distributor

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Christiaan Punter Thanks again. The DIY guy said he will have 2 mini batteries to power the 2 devices separately, but they will share one wood box and one charging cable connected to a wall wart. What brand or kind of battery Taiko uses for the Olympus? I want that guy to use the same kind or brand.

Unfortunately the batteries we use are not available through retail channels.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Emile, when will the industrial 12v dc BPS welders be available? My crew could use a couple units :)

Christiaan Punter

Today, I experienced something interesting that I just had to share.

The Extreme DC Power Distributor (in short, DCD) is designed to provide clean DC power to the Extreme Switch and Extreme Router. However, its purpose is not limited to these applications. The DCD simply outputs any voltage you supply and can be used with any component that requires DC up to 25V and 10A, which should cover the vast majority of anything you'd like to connect.

As mentioned, I ran into a nice situation today that perfectly illustrated this. As I work for Taiko and want to avoid a conflict of interest, it's best not to include anything Taiko in my reviews. Thus, the Grimm MU1 and Antipodes Oladra usually come into play instead of the Extreme Music Server and they are connected via a standard Cisco switch. By the way, all my CH Precision components are networked, and surprise, surprise, you can hear the influence of a switch or network cable even with components such as the preamp and power amplifier.

Anyway, after finishing my review of a high-end network switch (*) and returning to my standard Cisco switch, I found myself not enjoying the sound anymore. It was lacking solidity, body, and even crispness. Where it had been a little rough, for sure, at least it was expressive. But by comparison, not anymore.

Sure, as I have heard on several occasions, the humble Cisco can easily be bettered in a wide range of audiophile aspects by any number of high-end alternatives. However, most switches I heard are less capable in other areas that I find of paramount importance, such as tightness, articulation, expression, linearity, and neutrality. In these areas, so far, the Cisco had sufficed just nicely. Every switch that bettered the Cisco in any one area introduced downsides in one or more of the areas that matter most to me. If only there were a switch with a configurable sonic profile... But of course, there is!

Not expecting much and more out of curiosity, I connected the standard Taiko-supplied switched power supply to the Extreme DC Power Distributor and connected its default output to the Cisco switch.

Blam! The first couple of notes already blew me away. Immediately, the sound was considerably more solid and impactful. It was tonally so much more convincing and texturally so much more realistic that, right there and then, I knew I was not willing to go back anymore. Next, I tried the DCD's two Alt outputs and ended up with the Alt1 for maximum articulation, clarity, and expression.

The impact was so significant that going back to the Cisco's standard wall-wart power supply was very nearly as big a deception as when I went back from the high-end switch to the Cisco with its standard power supply.

Having worked for Taiko for almost 2,5 years now, you'd think I'd be used to such results by now, and indeed, I'm not that easily impressed anymore, but hearing such a profound impact with this simple switch as a result of injecting the DCD, just blew my mind.

Of course, this solution does not fully equal using a genuinely high-end switch, let alone using a complete Taiko chain, but this little experiment illustrates the effectiveness of the DCD just perfectly.

*To avoid getting into trouble, that switch shall remain unnamed.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Maybe best to ask here in the dcd thread:

Which dc cables did you try with dcd, switch, router?
What are your experiences and recommendations?

Cheers, Ulrich

Christiaan Punter

Cheers, Ulrich
So far, I have only used the supplied Taiko DC cables. But I'm sure there are users out there who have experimented with this. If so, do chime in! :)

Reactions: oldmustang

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago

Cheers, Ulrich

I like DC cables with Mundorf Angelique wire here. Not sure if anyone makes those, though. I made my own.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I like DC cables with Mundorf Angelique wire here. Not sure if anyone makes those, though. I made my own.

Which part#? Looks like they make a bunch of variations.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I never knew there was a problem with the DC cables supplied by Taiko ;)

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
There is no problem with the stock cables at all. They function and sound pretty good.
But so do the stock Horizon tubes ;). We are audiophiles and like changing things.

As a Taiko dealer, I don't recommend changing the provided stock cables!
But as a vivid DIY-er and a hardcore audiophile - yeah, DC cables make a difference, and my two go to are the Mundorf Angelique and Mundorf silver/gold wires. Silver/gold does not always work best with the neutral sound Emile is going after, although you can always try it to spice things up. In terms of keeping the neutrality, the Mundorf Angelique is a safer bet, although there is no neutral sounding wire.

Which part#? Looks like they make a bunch of variations.

There is also a multi-stranded Angelique wire. I bought some but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I've had issues with some DC connectors. Some are shorter, other tend to pop out easily from the DC distributor or the router. These seem to stay better secured:
But they are designed for coaxial wire and not as easy to solder to it as some others

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
There is no problem with the stock cables at all. They function and sound pretty good.
But so do the stock Horizon tubes ;). We are audiophiles and like changing things.

As a Taiko dealer, I don't recommend changing the provided stock cables!
But as a vivid DIY-er and a hardcore audiophile - yeah, DC cables make a difference, and my two go to are the Mundorf Angelique and Mundorf silver/gold wires. Silver/gold does not always work best with the neutral sound Emile is going after, although you can always try it to spice things up. In terms of keeping the neutrality, the Mundorf Angelique is a safer bet, although there is no neutral sounding wire.

There is also a multi-stranded Angelique wire. I bought some but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I've had issues with some DC connectors. Some are shorter, other tend to pop out easily from the DC distributor or the router. These seem to stay better secured:
But they are designed for coaxial wire and not as easy to solder to it as some others
Having used several DC cables with the DCD, the DC cables supplied by Taiko are very good. I have found that DC cables can have a significant impact on our sound quality so I have trialed several different brands. In a similar way that we demo different interconnects we find that they can shape the sound in a way we prefer (or sometimes do not prefer). I am currently using Sablon's DC cables and prefer them. Of course YMMV and you may choose not to add another variable. However I have found this a very inexpensive method to improve my sound.

RyanTX

Feb 15, 2023
Japan
I’m currently using the Nordost QSource for my LPS that feeds the DCD and router. I use the Nordost premium DC cable from LPS to DCD and then I actually special ordered 2 more premium DC cables from Nordost with the correct terminations that we needed to go from DCD to Router and switch. In my system (which is mostly Nordost cabling already) there was a decent pickup in sound quality/clarity, etc

Reactions: Armsan and ctydwn

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, I don't think there would be a problem with the tubes that Lampizator supplies with the Horizon either, and yet...

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've been through several brands of DC cables for the DCD, but at Nenon's suggestion, I tried Mundorf Angelique a few months ago and found it to be the most satisfactory DC cable thus far. Beautifully balanced. For reasons I don't understand, the 1m cable sounds better than the 0.3m cable. Relatively inexpensive cables, thank goodness.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Ghent Audio will sell Mundorf Angelique wire to make DC cables of any length or termination.

I've been so impressed by the Angelique, I'm making up a run of an Angelique PC to try on my Extreme just for fun.

Reactions: ctydwn

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Ghent Audio will sell Mundorf Angelique wire to make DC cables of any length or termination.

I've been so impressed by the Angelique, I'm making up a run of an Angelique PC to try on my Extreme just for fun.
Ordered two 1 m cables in Ghent to test in Taiko Switch and Taiko Router. We'll see how they work.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
BTW, I have a bunch of DC cables (Gotham, Neotech, Mundorf Silver/Gold, all 0.5m. and a Mundorf Angelique 0.3m). If anyone wants to try any of them, just PM me.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Looking forward to your report!
I will comment on the difference with those supplied by Taiko.
However, perhaps my taste is not everyone's. A few months ago I ordered from Ghent, to connect my Paul Hynes and the DCD, a Mundorf silver/gold that was widely praised and yet I clearly preferred my Paul Hynes DC12FSXL cable, which is not very well regarded.

Reactions: oldmustang

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I will comment on the difference with those supplied by Taiko.
However, perhaps my taste is not everyone's. A few months ago I ordered from Ghent, to connect my Paul Hynes and the DCD, a Mundorf silver/gold that was widely praised and yet I clearly preferred my Paul Hynes DC12FSXL cable, which is not very well regarded.
To me this is just the same as choice of tubes, cartridges etc. It’s all a matter of personal preference based on your ears and your system. Pick your flavor. IMO there is no wrong answer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing