TAD Reference D700 CD/SACD player

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Many factors, I believe.
Same brand synergy is definitely part of it. Along the same lines, I'm hoping to get the new TAD preamplifier C700 when it appears next year. Then I will have a complete TAD system, apart from the Taiko Extreme server/streamer.
The D700 has a true balanced output, whereas the Nagra HD DAC X did not (so I used a RCA cable to connect it to the preamplifier). When I compare, I definitely prefer the balanced output, it has more body, dynamics, bass, room ambience, and stereo separation. This is not a case of comparing a well thought out and implemented balanced output with a secondary unbalanced, RCA output, since the Nagra HD DAC X has a single ended circuit, and is a true asymmetric unit, where the RCA output would be its primary, highest quality output.
Although my Nagra HD Preamplifier HV also is single ended, it has an input transformer for true balanced inputs, and a stepped output transformer (which is also the volume control, hence the stepping) for true balanced outputs.
The future TAD C700 preamplifier will have true symmetric circuits as well, I can't wait to hear that.
Also, for the TAD D700, I have changed both the power cable (previously the Audience Front Row) and the signal cable (previously Cardas Clear Beyond) to the Absolue Créations TIM Absolue (their new top of the line, not yet listed on their website). I really like these cables, very musical. I won't change the remaining signal cable (preamplifier to power amps), which will stay Cardas Clear Beyond, or the other power cables, which will stay Audience Front Row, since the current mix of front end Absolue Créations and downstream Audience + Cardas seems to be exactly the right dosage (like making fine Champagne) for me (at least for now).
I'm currently using the Shunyata Omega AES/EBU cable from the Taiko Extreme to the TAD D700, but, since I just received the Signal Projects Avaton AES/EBU cable (from Greece), I will try that in my system tomorrow.
I don't mind that the TAD D700 only has an AES/EBU (or RCA) digital input, and doesn't have an USB input, since my experience over a year with both Shunyata Omega AES/EBU and USB (exactly the same 1.5 meter lengths between the Taiko Extreme and the Nagra HD DAC X) clearly showed that AES/EBU is far superior to USB (more body, more musical), at least in my considered (subjective) judgment.
Also, an USB circuit in the D700 would have added a lot of computer noise to the unit, which I can do without, so I am very happy that the D700 does not have one. I see that Berkeley Audio Design took the same approach with their Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, which also deliberately left out an USB input. If one insists on using an USB input, the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB unit will convert USB to AES/EBU.
I use the TAD D700 both as a CD/SACD player and as a DAC. It's working wonderfully in both roles.
The TAD D700 and the Absolue Créations cables are still breaking in, so there is more to come.
Sounds like you are having an amazing journey with TAD and congrats for your new D700! My dealer told me that the new C700 should come around the second semester, I'm looking forward listening to it too and compare to my C600

Reactions: Panas and Amir

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
The combination of the Taiko Extreme and the TAD D700, connected with the Signal Projects Avaton AES/EBU cable, has taken my system to a completely different and higher level, unbelievable!
The Shunyata Omega AES/EBU cable is now sold.

Reactions: Stef

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
Was told that TAD factory is clearing remaining stock of D600. Opportunity for those who wants a superlative CD/SACD player
Hi! I am very tempted to look for a brand new D600 from the remaining stock but I have doubts that I want to share with you:
1.- Is it a good idea to buy digital technology from 2010?
2.- If I buy a D600 in 2023, I don't know what year it was manufactured, and since what year it has been closed and unused, can that be a problem?
3.- And the last one, what would be a reasonable price?

Thank you!

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
D600 is far better than most super expensive 2023 DACs. It is wonderful DAC.
Very few super expensive dacs are as analog sounding as D600.
there is no problem

100% recommended

Reactions: Panas and Cleese74

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi! I am very tempted to look for a brand new D600 from the remaining stock but I have doubts that I want to share with you:
2.- If I buy a D600 in 2023, I don't know what year it was manufactured, and since what year it has been closed and unused, can that be a problem?

Thank you!
D600 is far better than most super expensive 2023 DACs. It is wonderful DAC.
Very few super expensive dacs are as analog sounding as D600.
there is no problem

100% recommended
I concur with Amir's general principle: i would say great audio pieces are often still great a generation later. While digital is the toughest to carry forward, in my experience, great speakers (there was just a long post about the Quad 57 which is nearly 70 years old!), great amps (the old ML References from the 90s), the Rockport Sirius TT...and I think digital 'can' fall into this category within bounds.

The old Esoteric P-0 Transport (35 years old now?), the fact that people still talk about the TDA 1541 DAC chips (also 35 years old or more)...and the overriding rule that technology and design are one thing...execution and implementation are often something very different (and influential on the end result).

I have heard earlier TAD digital in Tokyo at their HQ at Pioneer Plaza. I also own the final spec of the Zanden 4-box digital (which even the legendary Audiocrack has kept despite now also have a full Wadax Reference Server and DAC).

The key often is the 'balance' of the design and its ultimate strengths and weaknesses...when the finely tuned balance of the piece of equipment is right, it can take on a timeless quality where the satisfaction is remarkable. Ultimately, time will show the piece does not have quite the level of this...or quite the level of that...in comparison with modern-day competitors...but the level of overall satisfaction can still win by a significant margin because the musical result is still better balanced.

If you love the sound of the TAD 600, it becomes the voice of your system, and you can finetune to your hearts content around it and enjoy it for years to come. Speaking from personal experience, I have done so. The Zanden digital has stood at the heart of this system since 2008, and I have never looked back. One day, I am sure I will...but 15 years later and the thought has barely crossed my mind despite hearing the latest and greatest in DCS Apex, and a few others (which are great indeed...but just dont compell me to start thinking about a major new investment to swtich).

The TAD digital we heard as I recall was excellent, resolved and articulate. We happily listened to Glenn Gould Bach Goldberg Variations (1981 performance) and enjoyed the nuance of his playing.

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020

Thank you!
1 The plethora of great DACs using NOS digital chips suggests very strongly that "old" digital is often much better than "new" digital. New digital typically upsamples 16/44.1 to DSD or greater, creating a lot of ultrasonic noise, which will perturb many preamplifiers and amplifiers, resulting in unpleasant sound. I have heard the D600 in several settings over the years, first way back in 2012, lastly ten years later in 2022. On both occasions, it sounded very, very musical. In 2022, I compared it directly to the recent Accuphase DP-750, their top one box SACD player. The "old" TAD D600 easily trounced the "new" Accuphase, being much superior on all relevant criteria, including musicality and soundstaging. I like it so much, I decided to purchase the new model TAD D700, which I found superior as a DAC to the Nagra HD DAC X I was using. I have since sold the Nagra.
2 The D600 was in production until early 2022, I believe, so the remaining stock should have been manufactured recently. This is therefore not a problem.
3 The price is up to your negotiating skills, as well as a function of where you buy the unit.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
TAD D600 is very Analog Sounding without any loss of detail and It is also very powerful in large complex orchestral music .
If D600 was made by USA or European countries the price tag was above $100k.

standingwave

Feb 25, 2016
Beside playing CDs and SACDs, I was using the TAD D600 as a DAC for an Aurender music server but actually the Weiss DAC 501 did a better job with the Aurender. I now have a full Merging Technologies for playing and streaming high resolution files. The TAD D600 is only used for playing CDs and SACDs.
I have used both the TAD D700 & D1000TX connected to an Aurender W20 (over AES) and they both sound sublime. Prior to this I used a Merging Player+ as a streamer to both TAD DACs and as a stand alone Streamer+DAC.

The Merging Player was a serviceable source but it compared poorly to the Aurender & TAD, I wouldn't say it was even close. As a caveat I was running the Merging Player+ without the linear power supply upgrade, maybe this would have made a difference.

Reactions: Cleese74 and Stef

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
I have used both the TAD D700 & D1000TX connected to an Aurender W20 (over AES) and they both sound sublime. Prior to this I used a Merging Player+ as a streamer to both TAD DACs and as a stand alone Streamer+DAC.

The Merging Player was a serviceable source but it compared poorly to the Aurender & TAD, I wouldn't say it was even close. As a caveat I was running the Merging Player+ without the linear power supply upgrade, maybe this would have made a difference.
Fully agree with your comments. Merging Player is "purely" excellent but TAD Player is another league and the word "sublime" is well suited. The analogue feeling, the texture of the instruments, the live feeling are simply amazing. Maybe just a question of preference at the end but worth a comparison if you can...

Reactions: Cleese74

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

There is a significant difference between the one box Merging Player+ and the three box Player+. Both the power supply and the clock significantly improves the SQ of the single box unit. As a standalone player, the TAD is exceptional.

Reactions: Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
D600M1.jpg

Reactions: Panas

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
D600M2.jpg

Reactions: Panas

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
what makes TAD D600 or D700 Special?
in my idea D600/D700 is super transparent, ultra dynamic and analog sounding, no DAC come close to Image height and width of D600.

what a wonderful machine ....

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
I already have the D600 at home and I am very happy! everything that is said about it is true. While I enjoy the break in, I have some questions that you can possibly answer.
In a few months I will move to a new house and I can start playing with cables.
Which would be the most sensitive or critical?
I've been searching a bit and I've seen that TAD sells an upgrade of the power supply cables, the LN0208. Have you tried it?

Oh, by the way, how many hours are the break in? :p

Thank you very much!

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
I already have the D600 at home and I am very happy! everything that is said about it is true. While I enjoy the break in, I have some questions that you can possibly answer.
In a few months I will move to a new house and I can start playing with cables.
Which would be the most sensitive or critical?
I've been searching a bit and I've seen that TAD sells an upgrade of the power supply cables, the LN0208. Have you tried it?

Oh, by the way, how many hours are the break in? :p

Thank you very much!
First time I've heard of the power supply cable upgrade, it doesn't seem to be listed on their web site, I'll have to investigate. As for the break in, I would budget a minimum of 120 hours or so, still improving gradually after that.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
D600 needs over 300 hours for complete break-in .

major difference is after 50 hours, the second is between 50-150 hours.
after 300 hours I think the sound is stable.

after break-in I do not standby D600 and leaves it On.

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
didn't look through all of these posts....

Has anyone heard a TAD D700?

Impressions?

Dillon
Yes, I own one, therefore I've heard one. My (and the other) posts above describe how it sounds. One of the best SACD players (DACs) extant.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
S
Yes, I own one, therefore I've heard one. My (and the other) posts above describe how it sounds. One of the best SACD players (DACs) extant.
Any regret so far as no USB input?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing