T bone burnett

Tim-Do you really think the Wallflowers album in question has decent dynamic range?

I'd have to go listen to it again, mep, but there are plenty of pop/rock albums without a lot of noticeable dynamic range...there's plenty of pop/rock music without a lot of dynamic range, so that's a pretty difficult call. Loudness - from extreme compression, is a very different thing, and a dead giveaway is volume relative to pre-loudness wars tracks. I'd have to go back to it to be sure, but I believe I've had that track in a band material playlist with older material recently, and I don't remember it jumping out at me. Highly compressed stuff always does. It's popular music from the late 90s, so it's likely it has some compression, but didn't notice anything extreme.

Tim

Tim-I haven't heard that album in over 15 years, but if my aural memory is worth a damn, that album is just loud with no real dynamic range. And if I'm wrong, we can blame it on not having heard it in 15 years. If I'm right, that means I can still remember what something sounded like over 15 years ago. Hell, maybe T Bone is responsible for starting the loudness wars. That album got all kinds of airplay when it first came out and it would definitely cut through the ambient car noise. I primarily listened to the CD at home until it went up on the shelf and stayed there.

What about those great Sam Phillips records?

Bruce

Tim-I haven't heard that album in over 15 years, but if my aural memory is worth a damn, that album is just loud with no real dynamic range. And if I'm wrong, we can blame it on not having heard it in 15 years. If I'm right, that means I can still remember what something sounded like over 15 years ago. Hell, maybe T Bone is responsible for starting the loudness wars. That album got all kinds of airplay when it first came out and it would definitely cut through the ambient car noise. I primarily listened to the CD at home until it went up on the shelf and stayed there.

I'll give it a listen again this weekend and compare it to some stuff that I know is very loud and some that is not. I'll report back.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing