DAC shopping and completely lost in the reviews

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
These dacs usually need at least 500 hours for the full burn-in to reveal their full sonic signature. Some dacs even need around 1000 of music signal flowing thru them.
I have no issue with running in new devices. Running in speakers or even amps for 200-300 hours I understand. But running in a dac for 100 hours should already get me at 80% of its performance. Furthermore, I even think some brands say running in takes such crazy amount of time that you need to pass the 14 day trial period for online purchases so you cannot return them for a full refund. So, no I will not run in dac for 500-1000 hours that is just a bit over the top.

Reactions: Daverich4 and Gjo

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I have no issue with running in new devices. Running in speakers or even amps for 200-300 hours I understand. But running in a dac for 100 hours should already get me at 80% of its performance. Furthermore, I even think some brands say running in takes such crazy amount of time that you need to pass the 14 day trial period for online purchases so you cannot return them for a full refund. So, no I will not run in dac for 500-1000 hours that is just a bit over the top.
Well my friend, most of the types of modern dacs that you you have been looking at, sound roughly the same within that very 80% , the minutae difference is usually within the last 10 percentile. In my experience of course , after trying roughly 20 dacs in my own system, but your own experience naturally may differ.... :)

Last edited:

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
My Schiit Yggdrasil+ LIM arrived today. Running it in as we speak and will know a bit more after 1-2 weeks run-in time.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My Schiit Yggdrasil+ LIM arrived today. Running it in as we speak and will know a bit more after 1-2 weeks run-in time.
Congratulations! Give us a full report in due course!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Congratulations! I have the regular Yggdrasil (old chassis), LIM version. Love it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I bought a used Lampizator GoldenGate planned on sending it in to upgrade to a GoldenGate3. It’s so good I am afraid to change anything. there is nothing like DHT’s in the front end. Original tubes still sound Amazing. The low end is dynamic articulate with lots of texture.
Then don't upgrade. Seriously.

Don't "fix" what ain't broke!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
My two cents if you want a sound that’s less harsh but still has dynamics a tube dac helps plenty
Lampi has a vast selection
The set tube bars have a bigger low end and bolder stage
The el34 variety to me and this is me not an industry expert lol have more speed.
the TRP is a good start as it allows many tube variations
This is very helpful and no shortage of help on here
the Baltic series is also a non set sound but a little different then el34 types.
a note that may help or annoy some
DCS is a very well made dac but is very neutral so this maybe where harshness comes from
Some say we end up picking components of various colors till we love it.
this of course begs the question was anything correct at the start
if your in Europe Lampi is a choice I would go to. Ask on here I’m sure loaners or demoes are available

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
I returned the Shiit Yggrasil+ LIM. Its timing was fine with sufficient drive and low end. However the mid-range (and low end) sounded too thick (mellow). Also it was not really specious sounding and the highs were holding back somehow (playing it too safe). So, it seems I need to look into a more direct neutral DAC without sounding too analytical. I already tried Chord Qutest earlier this year which covered a good range of what I was looking for but I always had the feeling it sounded a bit too dry.

Reactions: bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I returned the Shiit Yggrasil+ LIM. Its timing was fine with sufficient drive and low end. However the mid-range (and low end) sounded too thick (mellow).

Interesting. To my knowledge you are the first person who has raised that objection. I haven't found that in my system and elsewhere either, also in comparison with other DACs.

If anything, there is the complaint that the Yggy LIM sounds too neutral to some people's taste, and that they would like more (tube-like) bloom in the midrange and lower midrange.

I guess findings may be dependent on system context.

Also it was not really specious sounding and the highs were holding back somehow (playing it too safe).

These two are more familiar complaints. Yet I have not found a lack of spaciousness. Fellow audiophiles admire my soundstage at home, also in terms of depth, and the Yggy LIM did not change that. I also did not find a lack of HF energy from the DAC in my own and other systems. However, with a not quite broken-in unit I did.

So, it seems I need to look into a more direct neutral DAC without sounding too analytical. I already tried Chord Qutest earlier this year which covered a good range of what I was looking for but I always had the feeling it sounded a bit too dry.

All the Best with your search!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing