DAC shopping and completely lost in the reviews

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
The Chord DACs can be tamed with the Chord M Scaler and a high quality external linear power supply for them i.e. for the Chord DAVE a 'Farad Super 3' for instance !
So ... that is adding 2 more boxes to a Chord dac to tune its sound. I know external linear power supplies can help and improve the sound considerable. I used it for a while on my Brooklyn Dac+ at the time. However, now I just want a single well designed box for my next Dac.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
I would second Ron’s suggestion. I also listen to a lot of electronica and my Lampi has no issues with that type of music. In fact, my system sounds incredible with it> listening to John Hopkins at this very moment. Sounds incredible. While I agree that a lot of audio is overpriced, I do not agree that the cheapos are “giant killers.” Also, I disagree that most people buy nice gear for “bragging rights.” I am sure such people exist, but most of the people I know with SOTA systems are not on any forums and are quite humble. They do it for the love of audio and music. I know several local audiophiles who are not super wealthy and yet have very high end systems that they have invested in over many years, and they sacrificed to create, i.e. less other things or trips, etc. I see little difference in bragging about having expensive gear versus bragging about how smart you are for not falling for the “snake oil” and getting the cheap Chifi that is just as good. Both are just stories. Instead, enjoy your music with the gear you have. If you can, upgrade, if not be grateful you have a system.
So, that's another vote to try a lamp based dac like the Lampi :) Or maybe the Aqua La Scala mk2. And thx for sharing the above whereby for you it's also works fine with electronica type of music).

Reactions: Sampajanna

vermaxis

Jul 3, 2023
So, that's another vote to try a lamp based dac like the Lampi :) Or maybe the Aqua La Scala mk2. And thx for sharing the above whereby for you it's also works fine with electronica type of music).

I was able to audition the Aqua La Scala and I was surprised at how non-fatiguing it was. Any recordings with harsh edges, sizzle up top, etc. sounded like they were just filed away. Really magnificent. However, I felt that it was not that engaging. Don’t know why but I definitely felt it when I went back and forth in comparison.

I also was able to audition the Less Loss Reference at the same time. I felt that the Less Loss essentially did exactly what the Aqua did but even better. Just as non-harsh, extremely organic, wider soundstage and the bass! My goodness the bass. Some of the strongest yet most controlled I’ve ever heard.

Lastly, I’ve spoken with several people about Lampi. I haven’t been able to audition because I’d just have to buy one outright but the consensus seems to be that if you buy one, you’re signing up for tube rolling. It’s not a ‘set it and forget it’ kind of thing. More of like a project that you continue to tweak. Someone even referred to it as a “toy”. So while the the description of the sound is very intriguing, I don’t know if that’s for me.

Reactions: scoc

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
I was able to audition the Aqua La Scala and I was surprised at how non-fatiguing it was. Any recordings with harsh edges, sizzle up top, etc. sounded like they were just filed away. Really magnificent. However, I felt that it was not that engaging. Don’t know why but I definitely felt it when I went back and forth in comparison.

I also was able to audition the Less Loss Reference at the same time. I felt that the Less Loss essentially did exactly what the Aqua did but even better. Just as non-harsh, extremely organic, wider soundstage and the bass! My goodness the bass. Some of the strongest yet most controlled I’ve ever heard.

Lastly, I’ve spoken with several people about Lampi. I haven’t been able to audition because I’d just have to buy one outright but the consensus seems to be that if you buy one, you’re signing up for tube rolling. It’s not a ‘set it and forget it’ kind of thing. More of like a project that you continue to tweak. Someone even referred to it as a “toy”. So while the the description of the sound is very intriguing, I don’t know if that’s for me.
I read something similar about the Lampi dac's regarding replacement of tubes to further tune the sound etc. That is not for me. I want a set and forget type of system. Ideally with no filter or map settings and no other items to tune and alter. Just a single purpose device with no tinkering involved.

Reactions: paolo

vermaxis

Jul 3, 2023
I read something similar about the Lampi dac's regarding replacement of tubes to further tune the sound etc. That is not for me. I want a set and forget type of system. Ideally with no filter or map settings and no other items to tune and alter. Just a single purpose device with no tinkering involved.

What’s the budget / price range you’re looking to stay within?

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all. No disrespect but a Lampi versus an ANK Pro 5.1 w/quad core?

Eh, no comparison IME. Two different playing fields. The difference is drastic in terms of playback.

Maybe look at Abass DAC's as an alternative...

Tom

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I totally understand. I am the same way.

Despite what you read here on WBF it is absolutely not necessary to change out the stock tubes that come with a Lampizator DAC.

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
I have decided to try a Musician Aquarius dac in my set. Running the new unit in as we speak (or write in this case).

Reactions: Lee

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
The Chord DACs can be tamed with the Chord M Scaler and a high quality external linear power supply for them i.e. for the Chord DAVE a 'Farad Super 3' for instance !
I had this setup, but in the end you spend so much money bolting on bits, and cables for them, you may as well just buy a better dac

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I had this setup, but in the end you spend so much money bolting on bits, and cables for them, you may as well just buy a better dac
I see you have the Lampi Pacific 'Anyoldears' which I am guessing replaced your Chord DAVE, M Scaler, External Power Supply set-up ?

Are you happy with the Lampi Pacific and if so, what improvements has there been over the DAVE set-up and was it worth the extra cost ?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I see you have the Lampi Pacific 'Anyoldears' which I am guessing replaced your Chord DAVE, M Scaler, External Power Supply set-up ?

Are you happy with the Lampi Pacific and if so, what improvements has there been over the DAVE set-up and was it worth the extra cost ?
You are correct, thats exactly what happened. Today I got to listen to the Ideon Absolute DAC in my system whilst my Pac took a quick road trip. The Ideon was in comparison sterile and lifeless (and a few odd artefacts). OK it wasnt that bad, but the Pac (now back in its rightful place) is singing like a songbird, the Ideon I dont miss at all, glad its gone if anything.

Compared to the Dave + MScaler, the Pac makes them sound crude and unsophisticated. There is just more music with Lampi, its the analogy of listening through a tiny straw or listening via a mains pipe, just more music density if you will. Instruments sound more realistic. I actually got my Pac secondhand from the factory, there are still a few left on the website if you look (around 15k euros), so I got a bargain. Is it worth the extra cost over the Chord stuff? Oh you bet! The tubes also make quite a difference and USB cables too.

In a week or so I will release a group test of USB cables, I think I'll have 8 by then to test back to back, you will have heard of most of them. Only big name Im missing is the Shun Omega....

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
You are correct, thats exactly what happened. Today I got to listen to the Ideon Absolute DAC in my system whilst my Pac took a quick road trip. The Ideon was in comparison sterile and lifeless (and a few odd artefacts). OK it wasnt that bad, but the Pac (now back in its rightful place) is singing like a songbird, the Ideon I dont miss at all, glad its gone if anything.

Compared to the Dave + MScaler, the Pac makes them sound crude and unsophisticated. There is just more music with Lampi, its the analogy of listening through a tiny straw or listening via a mains pipe, just more music density if you will. Instruments sound more realistic. I actually got my Pac secondhand from the factory, there are still a few left on the website if you look (around 15k euros), so I got a bargain. Is it worth the extra cost over the Chord stuff? Oh you bet! The tubes also make quite a difference and USB cables too.

In a week or so I will release a group test of USB cables, I think I'll have 8 by then to test back to back, you will have heard of most of them. Only big name Im missing is the Shun Omega....
Awesome A+. Thanks for the reply 'Anyoldears'. Much appreciated.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I’m based in Europe so not all options mentioned are available to me however most are like the Lampizator (which is relatively close since it’s based in Poland I saw).

I just never imagined me using tubes … ever. So, it will take me a while (if ever) to test a tube based unit in my set.
I might add a used Ayon Stratos falls in your budget. Can be found on Audiomarkt.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I bought a used Lampizator GoldenGate planned on sending it in to upgrade to a GoldenGate3. It’s so good I am afraid to change anything. there is nothing like DHT’s in the front end. Original tubes still sound Amazing. The low end is dynamic articulate with lots of texture.

Reactions: Alrainbow

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
bought a used Lampizator GoldenGate planned on sending it in to upgrade to a GoldenGate3. It’s so good I am afraid to change anything. there is nothing like DHT’s in the front end. Original tubes still sound Amazing. The low end is dynamic articulate with lots of texture.
I see you also have a TP. I‘m curious about how you think it compares to the golden gate? I ‘ve had a TP in my system for two years and like it a lot. I have a MSB Reference arriving soon as a replacement. Got the itch to improve my source having recently upgraded my speakers.

Reactions: RikkiPoo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
This is a thread worth reading, authored by a very discerning listener who has auditioned and/or owned more DACs than anyone I can recall.

It contains good, pertinent information that could be very useful to you.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I see you also have a TP. I‘m curious about how you think it compares to the golden gate? I ‘ve had a TP in my system for two years and like it a lot. I have a MSB Reference arriving soon as a replacement. Got the itch to improve my source having recently upgraded my speakers.
@ScottK

I bought the GG as I heard so much about Lamipzator DACs it gave me the itch to try it figuring I could sell it after trying. I was really happy with my TP at the time. Shortly after the Lampizator arrived I updated the firmware on the TP. There was an issue with using an Iris DDC after the firmware update (I was using I2S to the TP with clock out to the Iris). I felt the TP sounded better after the firmware update and best with USB not I2S. I ended up selling the TP and Iris.

However the GG was an entirely different sound. Not as holographic but more natural than the TP. The GG was more dynamic especially in the low end and much more articulate and textured. I have an Allnic L8000 DHT preamp and adding more DHT from the GG further sweetened the tone. I an now using an Antipodes S20 DDC with S60 power supply on BNC, it is so different from USB on either the TP or GG. I hate to say it sounds analog as it is digital, but it reminds me of what I liked about analog. It has an old fashioned feel.

I really liked my TP but after hearing the GG I could tell there was an artificial effect with the DSP/FPGA which was improved after the firmware update but did not make it sound like the GG. Its not surprising as they are in different price points. I am curious about upgrading to a GG2 or GG3 but I am afraid I will miss what I have now. I will likely try other DHT tubes at some time but I am very content now.

I hope you find the same with your MSB Reference.

Reactions: ScottK

scoc

Aug 20, 2023
Belgium
I have decided to try a Musician Aquarius dac in my set. Running the new unit in as we speak (or write in this case).
I‘ve returned the Musician Aquarius. After running it in for over 130 hours I listened to it more carefully. Although it has good pace and gives music a nice smooth flow it’s not really my cup of time. The bass was slower and thickened sort of speak and therefore it missed speed and attack. Also voices were nice but dry sounding. Overall in my setup it was not transparent and lacked the necessary drive and I prefer bass to be more direct and quicker. This is the 2nd time I‘ve tried a ladder dac (Rockna Wavelight) and it’s not really my preferred sound.
Currently I’m dacless so cannot play any music currently :)

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I‘ve returned the Musician Aquarius. After running it in for over 130 hours I listened to it more carefully. Although it has good pace and gives music a nice smooth flow it’s not really my cup of time. The bass was slower and thickened sort of speak and therefore it missed speed and attack. Also voices were nice but dry sounding. Overall in my setup it was not transparent and lacked the necessary drive and I prefer bass to be more direct and quicker. This is the 2nd time I‘ve tried a ladder dac (Rockna Wavelight) and it’s not really my preferred sound.
Currently I’m dacless so cannot play any music currently :)
These dacs usually need at least 500 hours for the full burn-in to reveal their full sonic signature. Some dacs even need around 1000 of music signal flowing thru them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing