System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

Stefan

Oct 4, 2013
Johannesburg
One more biased input, if I may, but the Moonriver 404 Ref is, in its own right, a gem at its price point that worked well with the LV speakers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The people suggesting streaming are correct. I'm going to push my friend to add a mere few hundred dollars and add some streaming capability.

David Blumenstein is an expert on adding inexpensive digital capability.

What's the program here, David?

A Bluesound or iFi device? I assume my friend would have to subscribe to Qobuz? Can he just stream Qobuz ($11 per month) from his iPhone via Bluetooth to a Bluesound or iFi device?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Reactions: christoph

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
  • Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This review of the R25As is less enthusiastic:

Don't know this particular model, but the OBX4-RW sounded phenomenal at Munich...if you want to enjoy music. Maybe REG just wants to micro-analyze all the little resonances and irregularities...in that case I am sure he would be happy with Magico. He probably wouldn't like Wilson all that much as well...they have a number of, shall we say "peculiarities" in their measured and sonic performance.

IMO, the flaws he mentioned cannot be very severe or they would start to interfere with the speakers spectacular imaging and soundstaging.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is the one and only sceptical review of the R25A, and even though less enthusiastic some virtues of the speaker were hard to ignore. The list of over-the-top reviews is pages long. Somehow, I felt the ABS reviewer was trying to make an anti-statement in the sea of exceptional reviews. ;)

But as declared, I am biased.
Stefan
REG comes from a very measurements oriented view of audio...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
They get a bulk discount for Elcos?
No that thing is better processed as many other so-called high-end manufacturers 110 watt class A /40 sanken transistors not a fake replica.

Stefan

Oct 4, 2013
Johannesburg
REG comes from a very measurements oriented view of audio...
Although I haven't seen measurements of the R25A, I think Maarten Colloms from Hifi Critic is well-grounded in a measurement approach.

Attachments

• HiFiCritic-Auditorium-R25a.pdf
    458.2 KB · Views: 4

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Martin Logan Electromotion is excellent, and with an integrated amp like pathos TT or quad. If he can pull speakers out that is

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
A few pages back there was discussion of what record cleaner to get. As a non-analogue user I'll commit sacrilege and state that if additional funds aren't presently available spend the $10K solely on the speakers and components. Simply use one of the available inexpensive vinyl brush/solution combos initially to clean the records versus compromising on the rest. It isn't he optimal way to clean records but that can be rectified later. Go ahead and cast the stones :D

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A few pages back there was discussion of what record cleaner to get. As a non-analogue user I'll commit sacrilege and state that if additional funds aren't presently available spend the $10K solely on the speakers and components. Simply use one of the available inexpensive vinyl brush/solution combos initially to clean the records versus compromising on the rest. It isn't he optimal way to clean records but that can be rectified later. Go ahead and cast the stones :D
[throws stones]

I kid. I think you are right. He can do a HumminGuru down the road but if he is really committed to vinyl that is a great investment.

Another great investment is for the friend to buy Jim Smith's Get Better Sound book. That will help him get dialed in...and perhaps Ron can help on that as well if he visits the East Coast.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: facten and Lee

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter, mtemur,

:rolleyes:

I do not understand why you guys can't process that not everybody wants to be an audiophile hobbyist, auditioning extensively at dealers and learning about all sorts of components, and what sounds like what, and what causes what to sound like what, and learning about system matching, etc., etc., and going down all of our various rabbit holes.

Some regular people just want to listen to music by buying a modest but nice-sounding stereo with some advice and some educated guesses thrown in.

If my friend read all of the posts on this thread and researched the pointers in all of these different directions and responded to all of your questions I am quite sure he would throw up his hands and say: "Thanks but no thanks, I'll just keep what I have."

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks, but a non-hobbyist does not want a 120 pound amplifier.
It's okay. You can't force someone to be happy or buy bargains like happens every 20 years in hifi history.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Ron, good morning. Allow me to correct a mistake about the Heed Elixir. Today's price is $1495, not $1295. The good news is it includes a very good phono stage, which my good friend Bob Clark the US importer notified me of this morning. This means your friends budget could afford a system consisting of:

Heed Elixir
Devore Obaby loudspeakers
Rega, Project or Music Hall table with a good Ortofon, Soundsmith or Grado MM cartridge

Wonderful for a NYC apartment should he live in town and want to have fun listening to a few speakers and deciding what will be affordable, enjoyable and easy to live with supported by a dedicated dealer.

My wife, Deb is always telling me to hit the easy button! You're friend is lucky to have you to sift through various recommendations and filter it down to the essentials!

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What solid-state integrated amplifier, preferably with built-in phono stage, would you recommend for R25As, Brad?
Thinking about it, I still recommend the Willsenton R8 or a lower line Magnetice model and the EA-220 phonostage from Phasemation. Turntable could be something from Rega or Project and cartridge something like an Audio Technica AT-33PTGII or a similar priced Ortofon.

A far better TT choice, and even less fuss to mess with (no belts), would be a vintage Japanese DD, like Kenwood KD-9010 or Yamaha GT-1000…both of which can be found for about $1000 in very good condition. Both will utterly shame anything new under $5k.

LV speakers are made for tubes. Maybe a Sugden amp or the new Musical Fidelity Class A amp could sound ok.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing