System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Better yet to get an ultrasonic cleaner.

The technology is mature and effective while continuing to improve. How 'bout a Humminguru for $350?

Reactions: Lee

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Living Voice Auditorium R25A at $6350 is another speaker option, although it would eat more than 50% of the budget. But it is a Living Voice! :)
https://www.borderpatrol.net/loudspeakers/

Now this looks to me like a great idea! Small floor stander, natural and smooth-ish sounding according to the review, easy to drive, in the price range.

Thank you!

I wrote to Border Patrol to see if I can send my friend to hear them somewhere in New York City.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Their Auditorium speaker line is very good. Play nice as well with low powered amps.

What solid-state integrated amplifier, preferably with built-in phono stage, would you recommend for R25As, Brad?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
How could an ultrasonic cleaner possibly fit in the specified budget?
Was thinking the HumminGuru possibly. Not sure how well it cleans. That might be a later phase purchase. Also you can do a DIY solution using an Amazon bought jewelry cleaner.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You can tell him anything you want, Ron.

I responded to your choice. Regardless of cost, it wasn't a good one.

Thank you, Tim. I apologize for being sarcastic.

Serious question: is there any decent record cleaning machine in the <$500 range which operates like the VPI 16.5 (squirt liquid, rotates record, vacuumed up by a tube)?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What solid-state integrated amplifier, preferably with built-in phono stage, would you recommend for R25As, Brad?
For less than $4K? Tough one...have to think...maybe a hybrid like the Pathos Classic one...not sure if that is less the $4K anymore.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For less than $4K? Tough one...have to think...maybe a hybrid like the Pathos Classic one...not sure if that is less the $4K anymore.
I was looking at the Pathos options last night. If you do that and then add $4-5K speakers it's tricky to get a decent turntable. $10K is a tough budget in so many ways.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hopefully, my friend wants to make a bit of a fun project out of this. If so I will send him to In Living Stereo in Manhattan. They carry DeVore and Rega and naim and bluesound.

They probably can demo for him an expensive turntable versus an expensive streaming set-up.

That store seems like the right speed for this project.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was looking at the Pathos options last night. If you do that and then add $4-5K speakers it's tricky to get a decent turntable. $10K is a tough budget in so many ways.

I am going to push him to go a little above $10,000. As a threshold matter I have to see if he is open to tubes at all.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am going to push him to go a little above $10,000. As a threshold matter I have to see if he is open to tubes at all.

Good. I do feel that adding another $1,000-$1,500 would open up a lot more options.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
By the way, I don't do "buddies." Marc has been a very close, dear friend for 37 years.

So your efforts for him are much appreciated!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And what about a Schitt amp and preamp for a total of about $1,200?

Stefan

Oct 4, 2013
Johannesburg
Another vote for the Living Voice Auditorium R25A. In my experience, it is an exceptional speaker at the price point and could be an anchor product for a musical system with many upgrade possibilities in the future. The beauty of R25A is that they sound good, with almost all amps I tried on them, from entry-level SS amps to Shindo gear. The Jadis Orchestra Black was perhaps in the sweet spot of all the amps regarding affordability and at roughly the same price point as the speakers. I didn't get the chance to try a Pathos Classic One, but it should also be a great match. A small Sugden A21 amp might also be a great choice, especially as I know Kevin Scott, the designer, also relies on Sugden amps in specific installations in the UK.

Less sure about the source though and bring the complete system home below $10K

Regards
Stefan
Caveat: I am the agent for LV, Pathos and Jadis amongst other brands.

Stefan

Oct 4, 2013
Johannesburg
This review of the R25As is less enthusiastic:

This is the one and only sceptical review of the R25A, and even though less enthusiastic some virtues of the speaker were hard to ignore. The list of over-the-top reviews is pages long. Somehow, I felt the ABS reviewer was trying to make an anti-statement in the sea of exceptional reviews. ;)

But as declared, I am biased.
Stefan

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I heard these at Munich 22 , this is the version with external X over , very good LS to my ears, best small Ls together with the magico A 5 ( i think it was) of both the marriot and MOC show 22

Better then the much more expensive model that i heard at Munich 23 ( with " ellipticor" scanspeak units )

1706709771478.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sugden A21 looks good!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing