System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

Thank you for the suggestion, Lee.

Why do you think these speakers would sound better than the Reflector 3As I think he has presently?
He has Reference 3A Reflektors and you want an under 10k system? Isn’t this like a 12 or 15k speaker? It is also very tube friendly, so a good tube integrated, maybe with phono shoukd be a main choice.

Going against the high-end audio grain in favour of practicality, would these KEFs (LS 60) not do the job? They're about 4.5k and include everything - bar the TT & phono.
A mid-range Pro-Ject or entry level Clearaudio (c. 2.5k) with cartridge included + a MF phono (1k) and some wire to connect the phono to the speakers -- and it's done (or, "and Bob's your uncle" to be more colloquial!)
Shame to let those 3As go, though.

Thank you, but have you ever actually driven Magnepan speakers with a Japanese receiver and evaluated the sound?
I have listened to several Yamaha amps, both old and new, and even Yamaha home theater receivers (I have owned three) using the bass panel of the Analysis Epsilon speaker as full range driver (very Maggie like with conducting traces in polyester membrane and about the same efficiency) and they all sound excellent and play well.

The receiver cited has Yamaha's circlotron MOSFET amplifier, which is quite a step up from probably all except the Yamaha B2 (and maybe even that) with a decent power rating and is used in it's top end integrated amplifiers, but I have not heard it myself.

Your friend sounds like he wants plug and play with good results, not necessarily stellar audiophile fussing. It doesn't sound like he would want to get involved with tubes if he just wants a 'plug in' cartridge. Also, aside from the convenience factor, there isn't much to go on in terms of his audio knowledge spectrum or audio product history. You make it sound like he just wants to punch two buttons, maybe put on a record and flop and listen. The cited products can be as simple as that if desired, but can also allow browsing music with all the other sources if desired.

Nice dis on the 'Japanese receiver' implication, though. I thought that sort of stuff was in the past.

Reactions: paolo
Great point. Something does not sound quite right here. On the other hand, I heard these many times at @Al M. Maybe he wants warmer sounding speakers with more weight.

maybe he is downsizing

Great point. Something does not sound quite right here. On the other hand, I heard these many times at @Al M. Maybe he wants warmer sounding speakers with more weight.

maybe he read all those text descriptions and bought them, and realised the descriptions were misleading for his tastes

The Reflektor 3A remains an excellent speaker and I wouldn't change it. Old school SS however I would refresh. I would change from Rega to Technics 1200G with a base Ortofon Concorde cart with a replacement OM-40 stylus or OM Century stylus. The DD should improve percussive impact. The Luxman will have the resolution to fill out the ambience. Looks like there's room for a Rhythmik or SVS sub or 2.
Missed this earlier Jack but had thought similar on the 3As… but also adding subs would be a great move… for a pianist the subs would get it into the right sonic ballpark and bring the left hand drive and power. Also if he had friends over they could even go for a night of old school EDM… perfect!

Last edited:
Reactions: JackD201
LOL! Too many audiophile cooks delivering the Rx, as usual. Imaginations generally start at 20K at least and anything less is a boom box. If he is a lawyer, tell him the audio retainer is 30K at least, it should sound like spare change, especially in a place like Manhattan.

• Haha
Reactions: Another Johnson
He has Reference 3A Reflektors and you want an under 10k system? Isn’t this like a 12 or 15k speaker? It is also very tube friendly, so a good tube integrated, maybe with phono shoukd be a main choice.

Thank you.

I don't know what he has. I wrote "I think."

He has some 25 year or 30 year old speaker from Reference 3A.

If Reflector is the expensive model he definitely does not have that one.

Last edited:
Too many audiophile cooks delivering the Rx, as usual.

That's totally fine, and fully expected. That's what a thread like this consciously solicits.

What I don't understand is why people don't pay attention to what they read. How many posts here talk about "vintage" or "used"? How many posts here add "digital" or "streaming" to the mix?

Sometimes people have to think inside the box. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp
I have listened to several Yamaha amps, both old and new, and even Yamaha home theater receivers (I have owned three) using the bass panel of the Analysis Epsilon speaker as full range driver (very Maggie like with conducting traces in polyester membrane and about the same efficiency) and they all sound excellent and play well.

The receiver cited has Yamaha's circlotron MOSFET amplifier, which is quite a step up from probably all except the Yamaha B2 (and maybe even that) with a decent power rating and is used in it's top end integrated amplifiers, but I have not heard it myself.

That circuit must explain my different experience (see below).
Your friend sounds like he wants plug and play with good results, not necessarily stellar audiophile fussing. It doesn't sound like he would want to get involved with tubes if he just wants a 'plug in' cartridge. Also, aside from the convenience factor, there isn't much to go on in terms of his audio knowledge spectrum or audio product history. You make it sound like he just wants to punch two buttons, maybe put on a record and flop and listen. The cited products can be as simple as that if desired, but can also allow browsing music with all the other sources if desired.

Thank you for explaining.
Nice dis on the 'Japanese receiver' implication, though. I thought that sort of stuff was in the past.

My first high-end loudspeakers were Magnepan MG-IIIAs. Before I put on them my first high-end amplifiers -- Manley 150s -- I tried out of curiosity my Yamaha receiver.

With that Yamaha receiver I had sound came out of the Magnepans, but it sounded terrible. The Japanese receiver I had did not work on those speakers.

Last edited:
when you said your friend wants a new system, I took that to mean he wanted a system that was new to him completely replacing his old system. It was not clear to me that you were specifying brand new, meaning not used, components. It was an innocent misunderstanding. No need to insult fellow members participating in your thread trying to offer advice. I hope your musician friend finds what he is searching for.

I thought "purchase a brand new stereo system" would make clear that he did not want to buy used, but I understand the innocent misunderstanding.

That's totally fine, and fully expected. That's what a thread like this consciously solicits.

What I don't understand is why people don't pay attention to what they read. How many posts here talk about "vintage" or "used"? How many posts here add "digital" or "streaming" to the mix?

why is vintage being confused with used? Do you think buying the Dutch restored EMT 927 that Tang bought from the restorer, or Schopper TD124 directly from Schopper, is buying used similar to buying an used Brinkmann, Kuzma or Techdas off the Gon, or similar to buying them new from a dealer/manufacturer

Reactions: the sound of Tao
I find it interesting that since I was a dealer in the 90's, budget priorities have changed. For example Ken Kessler recommends spending only 25% of budget on the turntable. So a high end system could look like this:

Project Debut Pro inc Sumiko cartridge $1000
Project Ground turntable support $800
EAR Phonobox preamp $1800
Parasound A21+ pwr amp $4000
Magnepan LRS+ with stands $1300

Partially agree. If you are buying commercially off dealers, the standard low budget guy is not going to be buying quality records, and chances are his system at low budget will not be transparent to recordings. So might as well not spend too much on the TT. And if it is transparent to recordings and a smart system put together, then a TD 124 or Garrard 301 will suffice.

If you have a decent budget, after a certain level the TT impact wears off - the cartridge and records and signal path play a greater impact. So again, there is no point overspending. You could for the pride of ownership, but the sonic contribution plateaus after a certain level.

Thank you.

I don't know what he has. I wrote "I think."

He has some 25 year or 30 year old speaker from Reference 3A.

If Reflector is the expensive model he definitely does not have that one.
Probably the DeCapo or the Royal Master Control. The Royal Master Control and the Master Control MMC (I once owned those) are very good. The DeCapo is a cheaper version of the other two.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

In both my cases, the digital is a just an added bonus from selecting a good integrated. I think integrated amps make more sense here due to more value for the dollar with a tight budget.

Part of my logic was to put more money than expected into the turntable. I think that makes a nice difference. If he is going single source then max out the table and cart.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
That circuit must explain my different experience (see below).

My first high-end loudspeakers were Magnepan MG-IIIAs. Before I put on them my first high-end amplifiers -- Manley 150s -- I tried out of curiosity my Yamaha receiver.

With that Yamaha receiver I had sound came out of the Magnepans, but it sounded terrible. The Japanese receiver I had did not work on those speakers.

My first high end loudspeakers were MG-IIIas as well!

Sold to me by the famous Mike Kay of Lyric fame.

Does anybody have any experience with Fyne F501SP floorstanders (US$5,300)?

Not that particular model but I have heard the $11K Fynes at Jim Smith's house with a Pass Labs INT-60. You can simply not believe how good it sounds!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing