System for 10K that will shame $30K systems all day long!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Absolutely not, I base all my audio purchases on musical satisfaction. I do tend to be a spendthrift audiophile :D
Hello and good evening to you sir. You happen to be very good at what you do and on top of that? You have a good ear to boot. Best of both worlds if you ask me! ;)

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
With all due respect but in the interest of full disclosure, for those considering NC1200 amp designs it appears that there is a bit of misinformation here regarding the boards and components used in the Mola Mola Kaluga amps. According to this response directly from Bruno Putzeys about customizations he makes to the OEM boards for the Kalugas (additional details about the changes are in the linked response), I quote this excerpt for your reference:

1. Lowest distortion input stage. Not available as an OEM component from Hypex.
2. nCore 1200 module with much higher quality components, selected by Bruno for their sonic qualities. Not available as an OEM component from Hypex
3. Switching power supply developed especially for Mola-Mola. Not available as an OEM component from Hypex

1: Yes the input stage on the Mola Mola Kaluga is not available to OEM's. This is 100% correct. Bruno is not lying. The input stage that the Mola Mola Kaluga uses is very close to the input stage of the Hypex NC400. It's designed to be 100% transparent. This is also the reason why some folks think the Mola Mola Kaluga is dry and cold sounding. Simply because it is designed to add 100% nothing to the incoming signal other than what it's provided. 100% transparency. For many, this is undesirable. If this wasn't the case, this would be the only amp anyone should ever want if shopping in this price range or higher.

2: The "much higher quality" components available exclusively on the Mola mola NC 1200 unit, are also not available on the $50000 Bel Canto Black system, $12000 Merrill Veritas amps, $10000 Acoustic Imagery Atash 1200 amps either, you are right. So I suppose the end listener can decide if these "exclusive" parts are a deal breaker or not when choosing their Ncore based amp.

3: The SMPS1200A700 power supply used by Bel canto in their $50000 black system, Merrill in their $12000 Veritas amps, Acoustic Imagery in their $10000 Atash 1200 amps, and the Nord in their $1670 NC500 based amps, may be slightly different than the Mola Mola amps use. But by how much should be determined by the end listener.

And yes it is true that the big heavy LPS the Theta Prometheus uses in their $12000 amps is inferior to the Hypex SMPS. The only reason I can see they used it is to make the amp big and heavy to cater to the status quo belief that "bigger and heavier is better" Which is very true as seen by sales statistics.

open_big.jpg SMPS1200A700.jpg 7.jpg
Theta_Digital_Prometheus_Internal.jpg

Last edited:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Mike - Thank you for so helpfully commenting on the input from Bruno regarding the customization he makes for his amplifiers and providing the additional photos. I agree with you completely that whether these changes justify the significantly higher prices compared to some of the similar amps available should be left to the ears of potential customers. Good listening to all, enjoy the tunes!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike - Thank you for so helpfully commenting on the input from Bruno regarding the customization he makes for his amplifiers and providing the additional photos. I agree with you completely that whether these changes justify the significantly higher prices compared to some of the similar amps available should be left to the ears of potential customers. Good listening to all, enjoy the tunes!

No problem. There'a a reason for the title of this thread. It would be really cool if someone actually bought all of the components in the recommended system. They would be blown away to say the least.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I happen to be an active member of Mensa but my IQ only topped out at 172 so I now realize I made the wrong choice.

Perhaps a little ginkgo biloba will bring you back up to speed :)

Ginkgoleaves.JPG

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
No problem. There'a a reason for the title of this thread. It would be really cool if someone actually bought all of the components in the recommended system. They would be blown away to say the least.

I vote you. Your credibility would be even greater.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
But I already have the 10K system that will shame 60K systems.

can you point out one or two specific $60k systems that this $10k system would shame?

or even ones in the ballpark to give a feel for your perspective.

and I would assume you are personally familiar with said $60k system....it's not just a theoretical idea.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
can you point out one or two specific $60k systems that this $10k system would shame?

or even ones in the ballpark to give a feel for your perspective.

and I would assume you are personally familiar with said $60k system....it's not just a theoretical idea.

You have to build it yourself at this price point.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike are you using the Mundorf speakers? Do you use a subwoofer with them?

No but heard them and they sound great. They are neck and neck with every monitor I've ever heard at a dealer in the 10-15k price range. They have a matching passive sub/stand in the works for it to make it a full range setup.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You have to build it yourself at this price point.

you are the one bringing up "shame $60k systems", that is "systems" with an 's'.

you must have at least one in mind to make that statement. right?

I'm just trying to understand your reference for this "60k system" or "systems" that your $10k system shames.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Are you actually saying that you have not heard this system that you are recommending? If that is indeed the case, that is quite something. On what then do you base your claim that this recommended system will, in the words of the thread title, "shame $30K systems all day long"? Has this system ever even been assembled and heard by anyone?

Or, you own this system and it actually exists. If that is the case, then you should just invite people over to be blown away. They could then report their listening impressions in Blizzard's Corner and we could all benefit from their experiences.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
you are the one bringing up "shame $60k systems", that is "systems" with an 's'.

you must have at least one in mind to make that statement. right?

I'm just trying to understand your reference for this "60k system" or "systems" that your $10k system shames.

Anything I've head at that price point. Not hard to spend $60K these days in a dealer showroom.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Are you actually saying that you have not heard this system that you are recommending? If that is indeed the case, that is quite something. On what then do you base your claim that this recommended system will, in the words of the thread title, "shame $30K systems all day long"? Has this system ever even been assembled and heard by anyone?

Or, you own this system and it actually exists. If that is the case, then you should just invite people over to be blown away. They could then report their listening impressions in Blizzard's Corner and we could all benefit from their experiences.

I have heard everything except the DAC. But from what people are saying, it sounds like the DAC to beat for under $1000. Right at home with DAC's in the $3-5k range.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Mike the Gustard is only $900, a small outlay to get first hand experience. Try it you might like it.

I have heard everything except the DAC. But from what people are saying, it sounds like the DAC to beat for under $1000. Right at home with DAC's in the $3-5k range.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike the Gustard is only $900, a small outlay to get first hand experience. Try it you might like it.

If I didn't have piles's of DAC's already I would. I'm also the new North American distributor for a DAC/Pre combo that would be right at home in the $25000 system that will shame $100000 system thread :) First one is already sold, we will see what his impressions will be. He will take delivery in a week and a half or so.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
so describe one.

all I'm asking you to do is to describe one $60k system that you have heard where your $10k system shames it.

I'm trying my best to remain respectful here.

Well a recent demo was the Focal Scala V2 Utopia/Devialet 400 setup. It was up around that price with cables. Both my friends and I were much more satisfied with the sound upon arriving back to my place after the event. Actually nothing at that event sounded as good.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing