Swiss Digital Fuse Box Anyone?

corepowertech

Jan 8, 2016
Easiest thing to do is TRY IT

We have a 30 day no questions asked guarantee

People thought the Audio Alchemy DTI and DTI-Pro and Pro 32 were snake oil also - except they weren't and we sold over 6200 of these in the 8 years we (Peter M and I) operated the business.

Some will never be convinced, and we accept that too...

We are well over 200 SBFB with lots of universal love - more than 60% of owners have bought multiples - enough said

Maybe I should worry less - we only have 8 left until our chassis supplier in Japan delivers the next batch in early December

Happy Holidays - Mark

verafiaudio@gmail.com

Reactions: ssfas and Carlsbad

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

People thought the Audio Alchemy DTI and DTI-Pro and Pro 32 were snake oil also - except they weren't and we sold over 6200 of these in the 8 years we (Peter M and I) operated the business.

We are well over 200 SBFB with lots of universal love - more than 60% of owners have bought multiples - enough said

Maybe I should worry less - we only have 8 left until our chassis supplier in Japan delivers the next batch in early December

Happy Holidays - Mark

verafiaudio@gmail.com
I did a search and found that the UK is the only country in the world where fused plugs are required by law. Our plugs are large - the only thing I've seen comparable are the Indian 3 round pin plugs. And we are on 230v, so rated load is 3,000w and a UK plug/fuse will carry just under 6,000w for half an hour before blowing.

The reasons for this is apparently because we use ring mains, which are not used in the USA. They use less wire, and we use different gauge wire depending on the type of circuit.

Hence, any sort of non-compliant device in the electrical system, which includes the plug and fuses, is a 'No Go' area. A compliant wiring system will typically have 3 fuses and two breakers before you get to the wall socket.

A thread on a UK forum about this product generally agreed that they would be illegal in the UK. But there have apparently always been people who blank out low rated component fuses with dummy fuses (slugs), which you can buy online or chop off a piece of copper rod.

Dr Sean Jacobs got back to me about the fuse in my Innuos Pulsar, for which he designed the power supply.

corepowertech

Jan 8, 2016
I did a search and found that the UK is the only country in the world where fused plugs are required by law. Our plugs are large - the only thing I've seen comparable are the Indian 3 round pin plugs. And we are on 230v, so rated load is 3,000w and a UK plug/fuse will carry just under 6,000w for half an hour before blowing.

The reasons for this is apparently because we use ring mains, which are not used in the USA. They use less wire, and we use different gauge wire depending on the type of circuit.

Hence, any sort of non-compliant device in the electrical system, which includes the plug and fuses, is a 'No Go' area. A compliant wiring system will typically have 3 fuses and two breakers before you get to the wall socket.

A thread on a UK forum about this product generally agreed that they would be illegal in the UK. But there have apparently always been people who blank out low rated component fuses with dummy fuses (slugs), which you can buy online or chop off a piece of copper rod.

Dr Sean Jacobs got back to me about the fuse in my Innuos Pulsar, for which he designed the power supply.
Appreciate your note and the information

Best Holiday Wishes and especially to those Rule Breakers

Mark

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

Mark
Only lunatics break those rules!

Someone suggested wiring direct through to the breaker on the consumer unit. That is also illegal. Anything wired directly, like a bathroom heated rail, must be wired into a fused switch socket. Don't suppose you have those in the USA? Not sure your average paranoid audiophile would use one of these.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 00.10.25.png

Republicoftexas69

Only lunatics break those rules!

Someone suggested wiring direct through to the breaker on the consumer unit. That is also illegal. Anything wired directly, like a bathroom heated rail, must be wired into a fused switch socket. Don't suppose you have those in the USA? Not sure your average paranoid audiophile would use one of these.
Well just glad it's only in the UK. Actually after working on old triumph motorcycles and cars as well as MGB's it is good that you have those rules. Electrical systems are not the Brit's strong suit.

Reactions: JeromeFrancis

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Well just glad it's only in the UK. Actually after working on old triumph motorcycles and cars as well as MGB's it is good that you have those rules. Electrical systems are not the Brit's strong suit.
What have some antique vehicles got to do with our electrical systems?

We have a single national system of rules and legislation, compliance of any new or updated installation must be carried out only by certified test engineers, there is a national database of test certificates and a 5-year testing requirement. If you are doing any work requiring any planning approval or consent, the local building control authorities will not sign off the work without an electrical certificate, and without that certificate you would struggle to get valid home insurance or sell your house. It took the test engineer 2 days to do my test certificate and then it was inspected again as part of the engineer's annual test certification.

The rules are incredibly complex, very strict and rigidly enforced. The problem arises if your property hasn't been rewired for decades. Mine was done in 1997, there were three major updates by 2021 and it cost me $20,000 to have the house rewired, plus $6,000 for a new feed from the street power line (they had to dig up the road). For example, it is now illegal to have any hidden connections, even if in a junction box, you have to have continuous accessible wiring so we had to replace almost every cable.

I was very upset to find out that it is now illegal to use electrical tape for electrical work. Seems very unfair.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

Mark
My concern about this product is not because anyone is charging $500 for something that does nothing at all. That’s just free market economics and those things get found out in the end.

It’s more to do with the fact that I’ve worked in the insurance industry for over 30 years, and I’ve dealt with a lot of losses arising from faulty or non-compliant electrical installations. Also quite a lot of product liability disputes. One of the largest service stations in the UK completely burnt down because of a faulty coffee machine and I once had a factory full of military equipment that burn down because of the wrong specification for a single lightbulb, which cost close to $100 million.

So excuse me for not being interested in any products that mess with the safety aspects of my electrical system.

Don’t excuse me for saying that people who decide to be “rule breakers” with electrical systems, or worse encourage other people to do so, are beneath contempt.

Republicoftexas69

What have some antique vehicles got to do with our electrical systems?

We have a single national system of rules and legislation, compliance of any new or updated installation must be carried out only by certified test engineers, there is a national database of test certificates and a 5-year testing requirement. If you are doing any work requiring any planning approval or consent, the local building control authorities will not sign off the work without an electrical certificate, and without that certificate you would struggle to get valid home insurance or sell your house. It took the test engineer 2 days to do my test certificate and then it was inspected again as part of the engineer's annual test certification.

The rules are incredibly complex, very strict and rigidly enforced. The problem arises if your property hasn't been rewired for decades. Mine was done in 1997, there were three major updates by 2021 and it cost me $20,000 to have the house rewired, plus $6,000 for a new feed from the street power line (they had to dig up the road). For example, it is now illegal to have any hidden connections, even if in a junction box, you have to have continuous accessible wiring so we had to replace almost every cable.

I was very upset to find out that it is now illegal to use electrical tape for electrical work. Seems very unfair.
the Lectrical systems were flawed in those marvels of British engineering from day one. Enjoy your over regulated existence.

Cheers, God Bless The Republic Of Texas.

Reactions: GroovySauce

wil

Jul 22, 2015
the Lectrical systems were flawed in those marvels of British engineering from day one. Enjoy your over regulated existence.

Cheers, God Bless The Republic Of Texas.
I hadn’t heard the news of the GOD—sanctioned seccession — maybe Mexico will take you back now…

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

I hadn’t heard the news the god sanctioned seccession. Great news — maybe Mexico will take you back now…
God, not god. We have always been a republic in Texas. Maybe then I cross into Oklahoma and you can pay for all my healthcare and I can come stay in your house.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, lets please get back to the Digital Swiss Fuse Box topic. Thanks.

Tom

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
@Republicoftexas69 Indeed, the brits have moved to a government that resembles a schoolmarm scolding a 3rd grader. What surprises me is how the people seem to enjoy it. They've been convinced it is for their own good.
Here in the UK electrical regulation is devolved from central government, the relevant statute goes back to 1994, but there have been many updates to the regulations since then by the independent body.

The EU is the same. It's not much fun because a lot of properties are old and if you do significant building works you may find yourself having to upgrade the entire electrical system in the property to get the building work certified as legal.

The good news is being able to build in audio requirements to an upgraded installation and for me it made a big improvement in sound quality.

p.s. The rules of UK politics are that the party closest to the centre wins, and if you win 3 times people will get bored of you and vote for the other lot. Most people here have zero interest in UK politics, me included, our election cycles last 3 weeks and transition takes about 12 hours. I think middle-of-the-road sums up British Politics and Audio.

Republicoftexas69

Ordered one today. Look forward to putting it through its paces when I get back next week.

corepowertech

Jan 8, 2016
Happy Holidays

Next week I will have my first shipment of the New Tellurium Copper with Rhodium, Plating

This is the very best I can do for now until I figure out how to treat the ends with Conductive Graphene

Not priced in Crazy Land

Both sizes available

verafiaudio@gmail.com

Thanks - Mark

BTW - only 4 words to say about the British (whom I love - first wife was an Ipswich Girl)

Lucas - Prince of Darkness

Those that know - KNOW :D

Attachments

• 400001095_349258744698317_7752194579578314877_n.jpg
    400001095_349258744698317_7752194579578314877_n.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 368137597_892810841854820_5703800052165394920_n.jpg
    368137597_892810841854820_5703800052165394920_n.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 396615144_885358872849371_2052277989380211409_n.jpg
    396615144_885358872849371_2052277989380211409_n.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

abd1

Dec 30, 2019
I received my unit late last week and installed yesterday. Here is my current system:

Auralic Aries G1 --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene KTE Pre --> Line Magnetic LM845 Premium amp --> Cube Audio Nenuphar Mini's V2 & REL S510 subs (2), and everything plugged into a Puritan PSM156. The SDFB is installed in the amp, per Mark's recommendation. My first impression is positive, but different than I expected. I expected more dynamics, but what I'm hearing initially is the soundstage got deeper and further back from the speakers. The sound is more "separated" from the speakers and more holographic. I'm hearing more detail deeper into soundstage and more detail in the bass. I feel my system is sufficiently revealing but this took it up another notch. However, I plan on putting the fuse back in and seeing if I still hear the same results. So far though, my results are positive.

corepowertech

Jan 8, 2016
I received my unit late last week and installed yesterday. Here is my current system:

Auralic Aries G1 --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene KTE Pre --> Line Magnetic LM845 Premium amp --> Cube Audio Nenuphar Mini's V2 & REL S510 subs (2), and everything plugged into a Puritan PSM156. The SDFB is installed in the amp, per Mark's recommendation. My first impression is positive, but different than I expected. I expected more dynamics, but what I'm hearing initially is the soundstage got deeper and further back from the speakers. The sound is more "separated" from the speakers and more holographic. I'm hearing more detail deeper into soundstage and more detail in the bass. I feel my system is sufficiently revealing but this took it up another notch. However, I plan on putting the fuse back in and seeing if I still hear the same results. So far though, my results are positive.
Good Evening

This is EXACTLY what I ask everyone to do - get some break in and then take it away. Good stuff...

Happy to read all of the above.

Many thanks - Mark

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Happy Holidays - Mark

verafiaudio@gmail.com

I'm unclear: Does the SDFB require 2x the number of power cords for each one used?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Reactions: acousticsguru

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing