Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Old and hopefully still have your original hips!

That I do. It's just my back that is a bit of an issue.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Back OT

Is there anyone who doesn't have at least one copy of this album

I had several copies of the LP before I bought the UHQR, but none of them were quiet copies. The best sounding I had (and still might be until I play the UHQR or even after) is the British copy I have.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So I played side one last night of the UHQR version of Crime of the Century. First of all, the LP looks pristine like it has never been played. However, the first song "School" has crackles at the beginning like every LP version I have ever heard. I was hoping this would be a super quiet pressing which is my only knock against the other versions I have, but between songs it's not. I couldn't lay my hands on my British version which has been my favorite for comparison. I need to file several large stacks of LPs away so I can get to the rest of them. Bottom line is that I didn't hear anything from the UHQR that I haven't heard before and in fact I'm not sure that my British copy has even greater dynamics which is why I was hunting for it last night. I also think the bass has been goosed up on the UHQR to sound more impressive on systems that really didn't have much true bottom end.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
mep, i recall all my UHRQs had some noise regardless if they were sealed or not. for all the hoopla of JVC pressings back then and their super vinyl formulation, imo today's pressings are the best ever. period. i played >50 new vinyls over the last month and cant believe how consistantly good vinyl is today - we're truly living in the best period to collect and listen to superior vinyl pressings. the speakers corner is dead quiet from start to finish and dynamic to boot. your next comparo should be with the speakers corner release and the mofi UHQR.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Rob-I totally agree that we are truly living in the golden age of top-notch vinyl right now. The vinyl formulations and the care that is going into the pressings for the audiophile market almost bring a tear to the eye of any vinyl lover. It is remarkable how quiet so many of today's great pressings are.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Live In Paris album (I have it on vinyl) is a wonderful live performance, and I too can recommend this heartily.

I also agree with Rob that the Speakers Corner pressing of COTC is dead quiet. Reading Mark's observations, I shall remain satisfied with the SC copy and not bother for the expensive UHQR release.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Saw a Japanese pressing for COTC @ $75 and almost bought it. Does anyone have a Japanese pressing?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Find me a copy that's quiet. That's the one I want. I have a UK pressing which is really good, just a tad noisy. I have a regular MoFi copy and the UHQR.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just picked up an A&M Audiophile of this for $11 and should have it next week. It's rated VG+ and I've bought from him before...he rates conservatively. Looking forward to it.

theophile

Just picked up an A&M Audiophile of this for $11 and should have it next week. It's rated VG+ and I've bought from him before...he rates conservatively. Looking forward to it.

Have you had a moment to listen to this yet?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have you had a moment to listen to this yet?

I have yes, and it was definitely worth the $11. However, the Speakers Corner is still the one to own. It outdid my standard A&M pressing with a sizeable improvement in clarity and dynamics. All in all I'd say this is a nice pressing to have.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just happened to have cleaned an old US A & M standard issue, probably not a first press, but I'll have to check the deadwax. Never really listened to this band much back in the day. Have one of those 'audiophile' versions of 'Breakfast,' remember it sounded bright to my ears when I played it a few years ago.
My experience with an old UHQR (and I think that there were different masterings of these in the case of Crime, according ot the Hoffman site), was that it was beautifully made, at least on the Tea/Tillerman i had, was quiet and tracked well, but lacked the 'life' of the original UK pressing- the pink label is noisy, and the pink rim, while quieter, sounds a little more at a 'remove' and 'reproduced.' Whether you can extrapolate that to Crime is questionable- my experience with a lot of old MoFi (and even with the Classic Records) is that some sound too fiddled with- bumped up bass and high frequencies, perhaps to compensate for tape age, I dunno. That certainly didn't stop me from buying dozens of MoFi's back in the day (or Classic Records when they first came out) , some of which I still listen to on occasion, e.g. the MoFi Rickie Lee Jones first album. But, sometimes the quest for the perfect pressing proves pretty frustrating and it may just come down to issues with the original recording, leaving surface noise aside. (I also think some records, perhaps given the way they are mastered, tend to be noisier, not sure that has to do with the 'quality' of the vinyl itself).
Apparently, the 'go to' copy for a lot of folks who have heard any number of pressings of Crime is the Speakers Corner, but that's based largely on all the comments in Hoffman, not based on my own experience. What is worth looking at over there is, I think, a thread or two where the engineer comments on the record. That's always interesting.

theophile

I wish that they get Bob Ludwig to master the anniversary vinyl.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I may get the LP for the live content alone.

I'm thinking the same thing Christian! I can't see this beating out the SC and/or the MFSL for sound quality. Maybe the UHQR? Don't own it, so I can't comment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing