Super3 - a supercapacitor LPS, by Farad Power Supplies

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Have you experimented with different ac power cords on the Farad? Makes a difference?
I have 4 Super3. All with the Purple fuse and the inlet upgrade. I use the Silver 2 cables.

I have not gone up to the Dragon level but have tried different power cords. A stock one, the Farads own and the Vertere RedLine. Yes, it’s a noticeable difference in sound. The Vertere is for me the clear winner of the three.

Reactions: jasond and Geir

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I have 4 Super3. All with the Purple fuse and the inlet upgrade. I use the Silver 2 cables.

I have not gone up to the Dragon level but have tried different power cords. A stock one, the Farads own and the Vertere RedLine. Yes, it’s a noticeable difference in sound. The Vertere is for me the clear winner of the three.
Thanks. Interesting area to investigate. If the Farad is excellent, it is worth investing further in upgrades. Specially if the rest of the system is sorted out well. I will test it with Tubulus Concentus v2 power cord. I will say this power cord represent great value, have use it on both amp and Dac with success.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi all,

I read a lot about LPS from Sean Jacobs DC-03 and DC-04 and was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to compare them to the Farad S3.

Do they always provide a clearly audible improvement or are they strictly related to audio gear?

I’m planning to add an LPS just for my router (Fritzbox) and these expensive tools makes me think if the investment is really appropriate for a simple router like that. Any suggestions?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Hi all,

I read a lot about LPS from Sean Jacobs DC-03 and DC-04 and was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to compare them to the Farad S3.

Do they always provide a clearly audible improvement or are they strictly related to audio gear?

I’m planning to add an LPS just for my router (Fritzbox) and these expensive tools makes me think if the investment is really appropriate for a simple router like that. Any suggestions?
Are you located within EU?

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
Hi all,

This might be an alternative to test, only know from others who used on switch's and router's. A cheaper option.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Yes I am… Italy.
Power supplies… Me to but in France. I have a couple of friends whom have bought electrical equipment from outside EU and not CE Certificated. I am not sure if you are sensible for that but important to know. At least I think so.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...personally, my approach to a lot of the audio hobby is one of "best practices" and consistency as defined by me, via an amalgamation of knowledge, experience, and sometimes...online fora exchanges.

Can I prove the results of these products or tweaks via charts or a concept described in a book? I cannot.

And for some, that is a signal to read no further. Fair enough, actually.

I have to let the sound I hear in my room take point on some of this stuff. Another signal to read no further for some.

It has been my experience that swapping in better power supplies, and to a lesser extent perhaps, better cables on those devices, improves the sound I hear with my gear, in my room.

To me, power falls into one of those "best practices" buckets. Improve it wherever you can, within the budget and practical limitations of your situation.

For example, I have dedicated, oversized feeds from the panel. It seems to make a good improvement to the SQ.

It would be factual to note the oversized wiring lowers impedance, and results in less voltage drop over the length of the run. Nice to know, but I like how those "facts" react sonically.

So, in this case, a little knowledge regarding electrical "physics" stimulated a tweak (the in-wall wiring) which I thought might be beneficial to my audio gear. I think it was and I would/have recommend such infrastructure to others. But I cannot *guarantee* an outcome.

I think the power supply discussion is similar. Some may insist, like Othello, on "ocular proof" via engineering data/charts. Fair enough. Yet, others may feel free to advance without a strict factual accounting of the laws of physics. You get to choose!

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I’m planning a room refurbishment with 5 dedicated lines (and a dedicated panel). i already use AQ Dragon power cords and a PS Audio P20 regenerator so I’m very sensitive about power in general.
just wondering if non-audio gear might need the same expensive attention, in my case I have only (out of P20 regen) a router. I will hook it to a Furutech eP609E power distributor but I want to avoid in addiction SMPS.
is Farad or other LPS overkill for the purpose? That’s my doubt.
Thanks

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
I have my ISP Nokia modem, wifi router and switch on "good" LPS power. All devices are plugged into a PI Audio Uberbuss (but I have used an AQ Niagara too). The network gear is all on a dedicated line, on the opposite phase (US is 120v per leg/220v to the house) from audio. IMO, the network deserves the same attention as the other gear.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I’m planning a room refurbishment with 5 dedicated lines (and a dedicated panel). i already use AQ Dragon power cords and a PS Audio P20 regenerator so I’m very sensitive about power in general.
just wondering if non-audio gear might need the same expensive attention, in my case I have only (out of P20 regen) a router. I will hook it to a Furutech eP609E power distributor but I want to avoid in addiction SMPS.
Thanks
If you read and scroll down the customer reviews in the link under there is described improvements on Farad used on "normal" routers.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
Hi all,

They provide benefit for audio gear because it is analogue and if the gear does not have a low noise power supply then the noise can creep in.

A Fritzbox is digital. I would expect a $50 Linear Power Supply (LPS) to be as fine as the wall wart it came with.
If there is analogue noise on on the CAT5/6 then maybe it would couple into something audio…

But a Fritzbox is great peice of gear, and does not normally need a low noise power supply.

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
But a Fritzbox is great peice of gear, and does not normally need a low noise power supply.
I agree that the FRITZ!Box is a solid and good device. But digital devices benefit a lot from low ripple noise. Especially linear power supplies offer that.

Software settings also have an impact on the sound. So it makes sense to disable the strong WLAN transmitters in the router and outsource them to a repeater. If you are interested, I have written something here: FRITZ!Box audiophile setup.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Thanks
I might be out cycling here but if the Fritzbox is a good switch maybe an alternative would be to go for a fibre converter instead of a additional switch and have the converter and the Fritzbox powered by one dual power supply ….

No doubt that my fibre converter improved the sound. Worth having in mind is that I use only Lan cables in my setup. No USB or other type of cables.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
I agree that the FRITZ!Box is a solid and good device. But digital devices benefit a lot from low ripple noise. Especially linear power supplies offer that.

Software settings also have an impact on the sound. So it makes sense to disable the strong WLAN transmitters in the router and outsource them to a repeater. If you are interested, I have written something here: FRITZ!Box audiophile setup.

I could envision the setting making more of a difference than the power supply.

However if there is some noise on the ground/neutral side of the power (wall wort or whatever), then getting coupled through to other devices can wreak havoc.
Some people use galvanic isolation on USBs for example.

It is not unthinkable that it could make a difference, but it is also likely that it may not benefit from the FARAD more than it could benefit from just going to a $50 LPS.

I dunno - I would be considering putting one onto a DAC before a Fritzbox.

Which I am sort of headed towards with an extra output from a different 12V power supply going to a DAC as soon as I can get a cable made… one of those Lemo ones that are difficult for me, so I;ll reach out to the fellow and see if he is back at it.

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
I found adding a high quality DC power cable to be equally profound to adding a quality AC power cord or the addition of the LPS itself. The stock DC cable from Farad is adequate but not really allowing the the Farad to live up to its fully potential.

Ghent Audio and Audio Sensibility both offer some really nice options.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I found adding a high quality DC power cable to be equally profound to adding a quality AC power cord or the addition of the LPS itself. The stock DC cable from Farad is adequate but not really allowing the the Farad to live up to its fully potential.

Ghent Audio and Audio Sensibility both offer some really nice options.
Are these cables better than Farad level 2 DC cables?

Reactions: jasond

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Are these cables better than Farad level 2 DC cables?
Or has anyone else found something else than these two which sounds “better” than Farads level 2 DC cables?

Reactions: jasond

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing